Saison Hi Nelson! Nelson Hopped Saison w/Hibiscus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzymittenbrewing

Reaction score
Hi Nelson Saison

Recipe specifics:

Style: Saison

Batch size: 5.0 gal

OG: 1.076

FG: 1.019

Bitterness (IBU): 35.5

Color (SRM): 5.1

ABV: 7.5%

Grain/Sugars:

11.00 lb Pilsener (Belgian), 78.6%

1.00 lb Munich (German), 7.1%

1.00 lb Cane Sugar, 7.1%

0.50 lb Flaked Wheat, 3.6%

0.50 lb Flaked Oats, 3.6%

Hops:

1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin (AA 13.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 35.5 IBU

0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin (AA 13.0%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU

1.50 oz Nelson Sauvin (AA 13.0%, Pellet) dry hop

Recipe Notes:

Used Belle Saison yeast.
Added tea to secondary. Tea was made with half pound of flowers steeped in half gallon of hot water.

Batch Notes:

Feel free to ask any questions. At two weeks in the bottle the peppery notes and funk of Belle Saison are coming through and holds hands nicely with the tart hibiscus and bitter and wine notes of the Nelson.

That beer finished at 1.019? I've used Belle Saison twice and both times it finished at 1.001 (90+ degree FL garage). What temp did you ferment at?
Beautiful beer, btw

That beer finished at 1.019? I've used Belle Saison twice and both times it finished at 1.001 (90+ degree FL garage). What temp did you ferment at?
Beautiful beer, btw

No, thanks for pointing that out. That was the beersmith estimate. It finished at 1.0. It's a fantastic yeast. And thanks for the complement

No, thanks for pointing that out. That was the beersmith estimate. It finished at 1.0. It's a fantastic yeast. And thanks for the complement

That yeast is a beast for sure. Now, where is a good source for the hibiscus? If I can source those, this beer is on the short list.

That yeast is a beast for sure. Now, where is a good source for the hibiscus? If I can source those, this beer is on the short list.

Mexican grocery store would be your best bet. Im lucky enough to have a farmers market that sells a ton of hibiscus tea every day so I get freshly dried flowers. The older they are the more you will need.

Thanks for sharing the recipe,
I was going to brew a similar recipe that I've came up with but instead of Nelson I was thinking of using Citra and Cascade
(can't get nelson here) also I was thinking to add some spices (lemongrass, coriander, peppercorn, grains of paradise, chamomile) do you think they will work out with the hibiscus?

Thanks for sharing the recipe,
I was going to brew a similar recipe that I've came up with but instead of Nelson I was thinking of using Citra and Cascade
(can't get nelson here) also I was thinking to add some spices (lemongrass, coriander, peppercorn, grains of paradise, chamomile) do you think they will work out with the hibiscus?

Personally I think all that would be too much going on. The Belle saison yeast does carry a peppery flavor already as well.

Any sanitation issues or concerns about adding the flower tea to secondary?

Not at all. The tea starts with still hot boiled water so its fine. I did however sanitize the colander when I strained out the used flowers. I poured the tea into the secondary carboy first then let it cool before racking the beer over.

I think I am going to give this a shot this weekend. Nelson Sauvin is about the only hop I don't have in my freezer so I am going to sub either Citra or Sorachi Ace I cannot decide which. What temp did you ferment it at? and for How long? 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary?

I think I am going to give this a shot this weekend. Nelson Sauvin is about the only hop I don't have in my freezer so I am going to sub either Citra or Sorachi Ace I cannot decide which. What temp did you ferment it at? and for How long? 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary?

I ramped up to about 80, primary 2 weeks, secondary one week.

I ramped up to about 80, primary 2 weeks, secondary one week.

Thanks. There is no sub for nelson sauvin that flavor is its own i'm hoping that Citra will work well in it's place. I will definitely post pics of it when its finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How do you think it would turn out if I subbed flaked rye for the flaked wheat and oats? I have all 3 on hand I am just a junky for any beer with rye in it. It seems to me rye malt would complement the flavors of a saison yeast well i'm not as sure it works with the Hibiscus. I have a lot of questions I know but this beer really intrigues me and I want it to turn out great.

How do you think it would turn out if I subbed flaked rye for the flaked wheat and oats? I have all 3 on hand I am just a junky for any beer with rye in it. It seems to me rye malt would complement the flavors of a saison yeast well i'm not as sure it works with the Hibiscus. I have a lot of questions I know but this beer really intrigues me and I want it to turn out great.

Ive heard of a few different rye saisons but Ive never had one so I couldnt say for sure.

Ive heard of a few different rye saisons but Ive never had one so I couldnt say for sure.

I'm going to brew it as you posted it except I have to sub the hop I have 7lbs of various hops in the freezer and not brewing as much as I used to. I had everything on hand except the danstar belle saison yeast which is on the way from Farmhouse Brewing. Pics in 5-ish weeks.

Brewed it today will post pics in in a month.

I brewed it also yesterday, happily bubbling away, can't wait!

IMG_3108.jpg

chugging away already and The aroma coming out of the fermenter with the Danstar Belle Saison is vastly superior to the Wyeast 3711 at this point

Thanks for the link to the hibiscus. I was having trouble finding it locally.

I use pils, rye, wheat, oats in all my farmhouse saisons. Give a gorgeous mouthfeel and a nice "bready" feel to the ale. And you're correct, the rye pairs perfectly with the saison yeast's spice. I'd personally recommend super light spice additions or no spice additions. Rely on your mash temps, yeast and ferm temps to get the character you desire. Additions in saisons can very easily dominate the original yeast characteristics. But if you're going for that it's perfectly cool... just go small.

I thought cane sugar dried a beer out quite a bit. I think his FG was 1.000, he mistyped it in the OP. See post #4.

I use pils, rye, wheat, oats in all my farmhouse saisons. Give a gorgeous mouthfeel and a nice "bready" feel to the ale. And you're correct, the rye pairs perfectly with the saison yeast's spice. I'd personally recommend super light spice additions or no spice additions. Rely on your mash temps, yeast and ferm temps to get the character you desire. Additions in saisons can very easily dominate the original yeast characteristics. But if you're going for that it's perfectly cool... just go small.

I am adding a tea made with the dried Hibiscus flowers in secondary but no other spices. I am new to saisons both drinking and brewing them. I have tried about 8 commercial examples and all were pretty different and I enjoyed them all. This is my 2nd saison that I have brewed the first was very basic grain bill and fermented with Wyeast 3711 its ok but not great. I followed Fuzzy's recipe to the letter except I used Sorachi Ace instead of Nelson Sauvin. The smells out of the fermenter are pretty nice compared to first which was underwhelming. In defense of the French Saison i fermented it at around 72 degrees while this timd I utilized my wife's heating pad and blanket to keep the temp mid 80s. Rye saison is definitely on my brewing agenda.

I checked gravity today and after 9 days in the fermenter the Saison is down to 1.002 that's crazy. Wyeast 3711 which is known to attenuate well went down to 1.008 after 4 weeks. I did heat this one up to around 80 for the 9 days about 10 degrees warmer than the saison I fermented with 3711. The aroma from this one is vastly superior.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401552585.650312.jpg
Racked to secondary today on to the hibiscus tea and 1.5 oz of Sorachi Ace hops. Gravity still at 1.002 smells great. Sadly I will be bottling this as I do not have an empty keg.

belle saison is a beast for sure. i brewed a saison 1.050 went down to 1.000 in 5 days. first time using this yeast. i kept it at 70 for the first day then let it go to room temp (80+) for 3 weeks.
i secondaried a gallon with some hibiscus, im waiting another week or so to try it.
i tried my first without the hibiscus last night after 2.5 weeks in the bottle. great funk to it. not much spice or fruitiness tho so im very excited to try the hibsicus.
bittered with styrian goldings, flavored with styrians and willamette.

does this recipe need some age? thats over 10%. an imperial for sure.

belle saison is a beast for sure. i brewed a saison 1.050 went down to 1.000 in 5 days. first time using this yeast. i kept it at 70 for the first day then let it go to room temp (80+) for 3 weeks.
i secondaried a gallon with some hibiscus, im waiting another week or so to try it.
i tried my first without the hibiscus last night after 2.5 weeks in the bottle. great funk to it. not much spice or fruitiness tho so im very excited to try the hibsicus.
bittered with styrian goldings, flavored with styrians and willamette.

does this recipe need some age? thats over 10%. an imperial for sure.

It could possibly benefit from age , but I wouldn't know because it was so good I only have 3 bombers left lol

Back