Haughty Sahti Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephonovich

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3711
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Wyeast 3724 (Optional)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 70 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
A light woodsy and juniper aroma, with an initial dry bite. Good malt/hops mix.
Recipe

6 lbs. Pilsner 2-Row
1 lb. Flaked Wheat
1 lb. Munich
1 lb. Caramunich
1 lb. Honey

1 Brown Cardamom pod, crushed, @ 5 Min
1 Brown Cardamom pod, crushed; add before bottling in spice tea (see Notes)
1 oz. Juniper berries, crushed; add before bottling in spice tea (see Notes)
1 Whirlfloc @ 15 Min

1 oz. Tettnang FWH for 30 Min
1.25 oz. Cascade @ 60 Min
1 oz. Saaz @ Flameout

Salts to mimic Belgium water

Wyeast French Saison 3711
Optional: Substitute Belgian Saison 3724, or start with 3724 and finish with 3711

Mash @ 148 for 60 Min

OG 1.053, FG 1.003, ABV 6.6 %

34644xs.jpg

Notes

On bottling day (or kegging day), make a spice tea right before with the 1 oz. of crushed juniper berries and 1 brown cardamom pod. I used a food processor and a big tea strainer. Use boiling water, let it steep for about 5-10 minutes, and dump it right into the bottling bucket. This is where the majority of your aroma and flavors are developed.

On brown cardamom: it's also known as black, hill, Bengal, greater, Indian, Nepal, and winged cardamom (thanks, Wikipedia!). It is waaay stronger and different than the green cardamom you're probably used to. I bought 1 oz., not knowing this, and scoffed when people told me I should probably stick to one pod. I found one other brew which used it, and discovered they used... about 1 pod. Turns out they're right. DO NOT go overboard with this stuff. It's awesome and gives a nice woodsy, earthy aroma and taste which goes along great with the hops and juniper, but it could easily overpower the brew.

Comments

A friend of mine who doesn't like hoppy beers said he loved this. He said the juniper adds it's own interesting bitterness/kick, and nicely compliments the hops.

Sorry it took so long to reply; I was away for quite awhile.

I used 1 oz. of juniper berries and 1 brown cardamom pod, quickly blended in a food processor. I then made a mug (standard coffee mug size) of tea using it in a strainer. I let it steep for about 5 minutes, and dumped the entire thing into the bucket. 8 oz. of really hot water doesn't affect 5 gallons of 70 F beer that much, as it turns out.

After a few months, the spices are still present. The woodiness mellowed a little - if I knew I was going to be keeping them for awhile, I might go with two cardamom pods and understand it would be quite powerful for the first couple months. Still, it remains a great beer.

Back