Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Haughty Sahti Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Stephonovich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default All-Grain - Haughty Sahti Saison

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3711
Yeast Starter: Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Wyeast 3724 (Optional)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.003
IBU: 32
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 70 F
Additional Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None
Tasting Notes: A light woodsy and juniper aroma, with an initial dry bite. Good malt/hops mix.

Recipe

6 lbs. Pilsner 2-Row
1 lb. Flaked Wheat
1 lb. Munich
1 lb. Caramunich
1 lb. Honey

1 Brown Cardamom pod, crushed, @ 5 Min
1 Brown Cardamom pod, crushed; add before bottling in spice tea (see Notes)
1 oz. Juniper berries, crushed; add before bottling in spice tea (see Notes)
1 Whirlfloc @ 15 Min

1 oz. Tettnang FWH for 30 Min
1.25 oz. Cascade @ 60 Min
1 oz. Saaz @ Flameout

Salts to mimic Belgium water

Wyeast French Saison 3711
Optional: Substitute Belgian Saison 3724, or start with 3724 and finish with 3711

Mash @ 148 for 60 Min

OG 1.053, FG 1.003, ABV 6.6 %

Notes

On bottling day (or kegging day), make a spice tea right before with the 1 oz. of crushed juniper berries and 1 brown cardamom pod. I used a food processor and a big tea strainer. Use boiling water, let it steep for about 5-10 minutes, and dump it right into the bottling bucket. This is where the majority of your aroma and flavors are developed.

On brown cardamom: it's also known as black, hill, Bengal, greater, Indian, Nepal, and winged cardamom (thanks, Wikipedia!). It is waaay stronger and different than the green cardamom you're probably used to. I bought 1 oz., not knowing this, and scoffed when people told me I should probably stick to one pod. I found one other brew which used it, and discovered they used... about 1 pod. Turns out they're right. DO NOT go overboard with this stuff. It's awesome and gives a nice woodsy, earthy aroma and taste which goes along great with the hops and juniper, but it could easily overpower the brew.

Comments

A friend of mine who doesn't like hoppy beers said he loved this. He said the juniper adds it's own interesting bitterness/kick, and nicely compliments the hops.
Kegged: Soon...
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Metanurb22
Recipes 

How much spice tea did you use with this?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sorry it took so long to reply; I was away for quite awhile.

I used 1 oz. of juniper berries and 1 brown cardamom pod, quickly blended in a food processor. I then made a mug (standard coffee mug size) of tea using it in a strainer. I let it steep for about 5 minutes, and dumped the entire thing into the bucket. 8 oz. of really hot water doesn't affect 5 gallons of 70 F beer that much, as it turns out.

After a few months, the spices are still present. The woodiness mellowed a little - if I knew I was going to be keeping them for awhile, I might go with two cardamom pods and understand it would be quite powerful for the first couple months. Still, it remains a great beer.

Kegged: Soon...
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Quick Reply