Father's Day Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaccharoVices

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3724
Yeast Starter
1.5 L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
N/A
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
???
Color
N/A
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
85 Deg F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Should be yummy
I haven't brewed beer for 6 years!?! and decided that today would be the day to get back into it. As with many other people, I would love to closely clone Saison Dupont. Read many recipes, tastings and writeups regarding Dupont's ingredients and methods and came up with this one. It diverges a bit since i added malted wheat and a wee bit of clear candi. Mashed in 10 # Moravian 2row floor malt and 1# malted wheat with 3.5 gallons of strike water @170- was hot today so it balanced out at 155.6- not too far off from the desired 154. after an hour pulled two decoctions of 1 quart each, boiled and added back to the mash to maintain temp. mashing ended up lasting 90 minutes, vorlaufed for the last 5 or so to set up the grain bed. 4.5 gallons sparge water @170, collected exactly 6.5 gallons wort when the mash tun ran dry. brought to a boil and after 30 minutes added 1.5 oz goldings (4.4%AA) and .5 oz homegrown Saaz (%AA unknown). @70 minutes, added .5 oz HG Saaz. @80 minutes added .25 oz HG Saaz, 8oz clear candi sugar, yeast nutrient and irish moss. Total boil time was 90 minutes, i was going for a little caramelization for color since the recipe was so light, but i ended up with <5 gal in the carboy. The 1.5L starter (yes, i know, mixed english and metric units here) brought it right up to 5 gal. the hops were whole and there is a false bottom in the boiler so i got little solid material but htere was a fair amount of break. In retrospect, i would have omitted the sugar and raised the sparge water to 5 gallons, collected 7 gallons of wort and still boiled 90 minutes- or alternately kept the same sparge quantity and only boiled for 60 minutes to get 5.5 gallons in the carboy- that way i would have a true uasble 5 gallons of beer after racking. the OG was just a shade high, wanted to go no higher than 1.060 as i would like this to ferment out fairly dry. The starter was quite active and 8 hours after pitching it is vigorous. 85 degrees to get some spiciness and flavor out of this yeast strain. Smells great. It sure is good to be back :mug:

Welcome back!

Saison Dupont is a great beer to strive for. The yeast is notoriously finicky though, so make sure to slowly ramp up the temperature, and give it plenty of time to ferment - even over a month, if necessary.

Just a tip though... try to use paragraphs in future posts. Your post is a bit difficult to read because it's just a wall of text.

OK, just took a hydro sample @85F, reads 1.017, with temp correction that's basically 1.020. I'm happy with that for only three days, as many have reported problems with this yeast sticking at 1.034, then resuming at a slow pace. The temps have been high here and i let this one go at ambient in the garage. Swings from 80 to 95. Was mindful of having a very active starter and added yeast nutrient to the wort and aerated very well. Guess it worked. Hopefully this will attenuate at least another .010, i could live with that. Once the sample has chilled, i will remeasure and taste. just happened to have a bottle of Dupont here, although it is quite premature for a side by side, but i can look at color and get a ballpark idea of where the hops are.

Transferred to secondary today, SG is at 1.014- not bad for only a week with this yeast!

Wifey tasted it (a Dupont connoiseur), and said it was remarkably close- very peppery and earthy :mug:

I would have left it in the primary. You want that yeast to go really dry - ideally under 1.008, and it needs all the help it can get in order to get there.

I would have left it in the primary. You want that yeast to go really dry - ideally under 1.008, and it needs all the help it can get in order to get there.

Yup. Mostly it just needs time, and being on the yeast certainly isn't going to hurt it.

The 3724 yeast cake was saved in a sterile quart mason jar, will wash and re-use

I suspect that the ferm will complete just fine in secondary, temps are still up in the 80's-low 90's (here in NC)

Still outgassing at regular, short intervals. was agitated a bit before transfer, quite cloudy with much yeast in suspension.

Latest posts

Back