Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Easy Chimay Blue clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #41
kiowawarrior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewing this one today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #42
Crimsonwine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by extexan View Post
I think that the wine yeast was used as a yeast nutrient. The boiling wort will kill the yeast, yielding a nice additional food supply for the pitched yeast after the wort is cooled.
Why not just pitch yeast nutrient at the end of boil?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #43
kiowawarrior
Recipes 

LOVE IT!!!! No issues with the recipe. I personally added far to much priming sugar so it was a bit sweet in the end but that had nothing to do with the recipe and the amazing beer still shines through. I am already getting the ingredients for the next batch......minus all that priming sugar.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #44
deafmonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am excited about this recipe as you can tell from my moniker.

I am a newbie. Just bottled my first brew yesterday (Belgian Quad kit from Williams Brewing). Bottle in 70 degrees for 20 days and then 55-58 degree for 3 weeks.

Now my question for this Easy Chimay Blue clone. Aged in the bottle at what room temperature and for how long. Are there stages in aging like my first kid (Belgian Quad), i.e., first stage at 70 degrees and second stage at cooler temperature for this Easy Chimay Blue clone?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:14 AM   #45
deafmonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have some more questions that I hope you will help a newbie.

My questions are: for the first step, steep the grain in 156F for 40 minutes. Then the next step is to remove the grain and add a gallon of water. And add two kinds of malt extracts. Still at 156F? For how long? Then 1 oz Hallertauer (60 mins) 1 oz Styrian Goldings (30 mins). 60 mins and 30 mins? At which temperature?

Can someone clarify the instruction/directions? Thanks.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #46
Broken
Recipes 

deafmonk,
When you add your extract you boil it. In this case for 60 minutes.
When hops has a (60 mins) after it, or (30 mins) after the type, it means that is how long you boil the hops for. So in this case when you have 30 minutes left in your boil, you add the last hops.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #47
Broken
Recipes 

So if I want to do a partial mash on this, would it be the same thing to sub out the munich malt extract with more munich malt grain?
4 lb Amber Dry Extract
8 lb Munic Malt grain (this is pushing my limit on partial mashing space)
Then the rest as listed. This would put me at around 9% ABV.

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #48
adagiogray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi - I just started home brewing, and I chose this as my first recipe, since Chimay Blue is among my favorites. Had I read a little further, I might have picked a recipe with a little shorter turnaround time - 6 months bottle aging? yikes. Maybe I'll try it at 2 or 3.

I just put this recipe in the fermenter, with only 2 substitutions:

1. - yeast was substituted, Wyeast 3787 Trappist instead of White Labs WPL 500 Belgian Trappist. I saw some other Wyeast strains suggested here, hope I haven't made a grave error. I wonder how the 3787 compares to the 1214.

2. Styrian Goldings hops were subbed with our local brew shops 'Traditional' German hops. It's what they recommended for a sub, anyway.

The Lyle's Golden Syrup was actually a bit of a pain to find - I'm in the Columbus, OH area, and the only place that carried it was World Market. Couldn't you sub a LME? I had also read you could do 1 part molasses to 2 parts Karo syrup in *cooking*, but wasn't sure about how that would work for brewing, so I pursued the real deal.

I also had a mishap where the rubber stopper/seal on my 7 gal pail lid where the airlock plugs in dropped down in my wort when I went to put the airlock in. You'd think the rubber would float, but nooooo.....had to resanitize and strain it, pour it all out, and back in after the yeast was pitched. I sanitized well and use decent aseptic technique (I'm a nurse), but these things always make me nervous. Hop I didn't just drop $60+ worth of ingredients into a bad batch.

Also, if my calculations are right (and they probably aren't), looking at the difference in the OG and FG it only looks like about a 6% recipe - shouldn't a Chimay Blue clone be more in the 9-10% range? Add more ME next go, or?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #49
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made this recipe and I am at 6.7% ABV. I might up the LME in the future to get the higher ABV. I am going to do an all grain too soon.

spence

Old 02-26-2011, 03:56 AM   #50
adagiogray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

6 days in the primary, hydrometer says 1.040, still sweet, still a bubblin'. Any bets this thing is gonna go another 2-3 weeks minimum?

Quick Reply