Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Easy Chimay Blue clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #21
LovesMeSomeBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Being totally new to the HB thing, I am really excited to find this thread. The _exact_ reason I wanted to start brewing was Chimay. We can't get it here in Alabama, so I stock up whenever I'm in a place that has it.

That said, my next brew (which will be only my second brew) is a extract kit (called Noble Trappist Ale) which should arrive any day now. The kit description says that yeast cultured from a bottle of Chimay will help the flavor. I happen to have a bottle (my last bottle from September stocking-up) and would love to do the culturing from there.

Can someone here give me some pointers as to how to accomplish that before I uncork it?

Last edited by LovesMeSomeBeer; 03-19-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #22
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMeSomeBeer View Post
Being totally new to the HB thing, I am really excited to find this thread. The _exact_ reason I wanted to start brewing was Chimay. We can't get it here in Alabama, so I stock up whenever I'm in a place that has it.

That said, my next brew (which will be only my second brew) is a extract kit (called Noble Trappist Ale) which should arrive any day now. The kit description says that yeast cultured from a bottle of Chimay will help the flavor. I happen to have a bottle (my last bottle from September stocking-up) and would love to do the culturing from there.

Can someone here give me some pointers as to how to accomplish that before I uncork it?
Welcome to the Forums! You can actually buy the yeast used at Chimay. It's available commercially as liquid yeast, from White Labs as WLP500 or from Wyeast as Wyeast 1214. That might be better than culturing it from a bottle, as if the bottle is getting old, the yeast might be past their best.

If you do want to culture yeast from a bottle, you should check this out:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Yeast Culturing from Bottles: Techniques -

Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
LovesMeSomeBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek View Post
Welcome to the Forums! You can actually buy the yeast used at Chimay. It's available commercially as liquid yeast, from White Labs as WLP500 or from Wyeast as Wyeast 1214. That might be better than culturing it from a bottle, as if the bottle is getting old, the yeast might be past their best.

If you do want to culture yeast from a bottle, you should check this out:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Yeast Culturing from Bottles: Techniques -
Thanks for the link and the info! This forum is a fantastic resource.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #24
Natron008
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep, HBT is an invaluable resource. Especially for us newbies.

Here is a link to my finalized recipe. It's not quite Chimay, but it's certainly in the same vein and as easy of a recipe as you're likely to find.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/bull...ty-ale-109003/

Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #25
LovesMeSomeBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natron008 View Post
Yep, HBT is an invaluable resource. Especially for us newbies.

Here is a link to my finalized recipe. It's not quite Chimay, but it's certainly in the same vein and as easy of a recipe as you're likely to find.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/bull...ty-ale-109003/
That sounds great and could be just where I start when I (inevitably) do an all-grain brew.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
Natron008
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
That sounds great and could be just where I start when I (inevitably) do an all-grain brew.
That one is an extract, so if you're not ready it's a nice, and fairly complex tasting beer, done simply. Really, it's all about the yeast.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #27
LovesMeSomeBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natron008 View Post
That one is an extract, so if you're not ready it's a nice, and fairly complex tasting beer, done simply. Really, it's all about the yeast.
Oh I see now, I just read 'All Grain' for recipe type, and not knowing anything at all yet ... well, newbie mistake.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #28
Natron008
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Oh I see now, I just read 'All Grain' for recipe type, and not knowing anything at all yet ... well, newbie mistake.
Yeah, it shouldn't say that. Not sure why. Anyway, it's an easy extract recipe that I guarantee you'll enjoy. I just took some to my neighbors last night and they could not believe I brewed it myself. He said he's had lost of people offer him homebrew over the years, but nothing even close to as good as that.

it sure feels good to hear stuff like that. It's almost worth the cost of giving so much of it away! Why do people think that because you brew it yourself, it doesn't cost you anything????
Old 03-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #29
bmbox12
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cost of Blue Moon Clone

Just curious what you figure it cost to make this. I just opened a bottle of a Belgian Honey extract that I made, but I think I got ripped off on the cost.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #30
LovesMeSomeBeer
Recipes 

Well, a recipe kit costs about $30-$35 for 50+ bottles, so $3.50 - $4.50 for a 6-pack.
I'll take that all day for a good beer.

Quick Reply