Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Easy Chimay Blue clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #211
iluv2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I just brewed this a few weeks back. OG was 1.090 and today when I transfered to secondary my gravity was 1.019. It smells real good and the yeast flavor coming through is wonderful. Can't wait to keg and carbonate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #212
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hopefully an easy question. I am ready to order everything for FattyLiver's version of this recipe, for the higher ABV. I'm orderign through MidwestSupplies, unless somebody knows another supplier is as cost effective or cheaper with same quality ingredients.

On the recipe there Munich (German) 2.00 lb listed, I think on Midwest's site I would order this Munich 10L (Briess), is that right? If not can someone shed a little light on that for me, thanks in advance?!!

Also, I have to keep my fermenter at my-in laws so I don't get to keep as close an eye on it as I would like. Has anybody else tried using Fermcap with this? If so, what kind of results did you see, effective or not? If I do use it should I still plan for a blow off tube?

Thanks, can't wait to get this one going!!!!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #213
bolus14
Recipes 

Brewed the FattyLiver recipe yesterday. I only got my OG to hit 1.074 at 70℉. I'm thinking thats due to not getting all the sugars out of the grains. I started with 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon kettle not thinking how much space the grains would take up. I made it work, but you really need about a 7 gal keetle or larger for this recipe.

The hydro tasted pretty good, extremely sweet but as others have said that should mellow. I pitched a 2.5L starter of WY1214 and I'm hoping I get a good start on fermentation. The 2 month old smack pack and the first step of my starter both showed really slow starts.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #214
bolus14
Recipes 

After a week in the primary the gravity is at 1.015 the yeast was crazy for the first 3 days and I haven't seen any airlock activity since. The hydro sample was still sweet, drier but sweet and kind of muddled. I can tell this will take some time to come together but so for things look good.

Another week or two in the primary and then racking to secondary and possibly using the WY1214 cake for a blonde.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #215
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You shouldn't use the cake for a high OG beer on other beers. If you want to reuse it, work your way UP, not down.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #216
bolus14
Recipes 

Agreed, I guess i should've clarified. I'm planning to collect the yeast, and build up a starter. Due to the OG of the Chimay clone I would prefer to allow the yeast to reproduce on a starter to make sure the yeast is viable to ferment the Blonde.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #217
iluv2brew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

just tried a glass of my finished beer and it's very good. Gonna let it sit till early fall in the keg before I really start drinking it up. I has a bit of a thin mouth feel to it, but very good.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #218
Shenanigans
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I'm going to brew a batch of this next month but I want to build up a stock of other beers first to help me keep away from it for 6 months
I live in Germany and there are different types of both of the hops mentioned.

1 oz Hallertauer (60 mins)
1 oz Styrian Goldings (30 mins)

What % alpha are the ones used for this beer?

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #219
bolus14
Recipes 

Bottled this last Friday, almost a week now sitting in a room where temps bounce from 75 - 80!! The hydro sample was at 1.012, so it should be at about 8.1% ABV, not horrible but I was hoping for around 9%, like Chimay Blue is. The smell had a lot of alcohol to it, but after getting past that I think mine is going to be a touch sweeter than Chimay.

I may throw a bottle in the fridge tonight so I can "sample" it over the weekend just to see how the carbonation is coming and whether or not that helps cut through some of the alcohol. Then I'm planning to take 6 bottles out around then end of July when my brother's in town, and the rest are going to get moved to a 65 - 70 degree room until Fall/Winter

Old 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #220
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Was looking into making this in a week or 2 based on the fattyliver recipe, is a stir plate necessary for the yeast starter, or do I need to pitch a gallon yeast starter into this? Just seeing what everyone has done.

For an OG of 1.090 with 5 gallons, I compute roughly a 4 liter yeast starter on this. It says about 2.2 liter starter is needed with a stirplate. Is that what everyone is doing with this? I don't have a stirplate yet and only a 2 liter flask.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Quick Reply