Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Easy Chimay Blue clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #201
bizarrojosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I brewed this today and I hope it turns out well. I got a OG of about 1.080 so starting out ok. I made my own candi sugar and I think that was where I lost the point.

Question: would anyone wash this yeast or will it not be a good idea to wash this one since they might be too stressed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #202
chriscax
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I did this recipe back in Early August. So about 3 months ago and kinda forgot about it. I recorded an OG of 1.088. When I checked it last night I was thinking it might be 1.015. Nope it was all the way down to 1.000. I checked it multiple times and it was sure enough 1.000. So I tasted it and oh man was it good. I felt like I could have just drank the stuff uncarbonated and room temp. I can't wait to try this after bottling for another couple months.

Oh yeah and by the way I used a dry yeast called Safbrew s-33. So anyone wanting to save a couple bucks use this stuff.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #203
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Bottled this two weeks ago and tasted it today. There is a lot more hop to this than I was expecting. Good though.

If you're gonna do wrong buddy, do wrong right!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #204
run42beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Patience definitely pays off with this beer. I brewed Fatty Liver's version 8/4, bottled 8/23. It took at least 8 weeks for proper carbonation to develop. Once there it was definitely worth it. Nice, complex Belgian strong ale. With a bit more ageing it should mellow a bit more. Yummy!

Up next: Cherry stout

Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #205
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Follow-up: been about 4 months now since I brewed the first batch and have to say this is an amazing extract beer. I've never had the original chimay blue (sad) but the wife has and says this is "better" than she remembers it. All I know is that it's turned out fantastic and has been well worth the wait. My mother in law doesn't like beer (big time wine snob) but loves this beer as it reminders her of a good red. Not sure I agree with that but glad she likes it....lol
My second batch is slightly stronger (9.7% if I remember correctly but would have to check my notes) and is still pretty young in the bottle but I'm amazed how much the "hot" alcohol burn has mellowed out with time. Very pleased and recommend others give it a go if they're thinking of trying it.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #206
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153 View Post
Bottled this two weeks ago and tasted it today. There is a lot more hop to this than I was expecting. Good though.
I've brewed two version of this and get no hop forward taste at all. Did you follow the schedule or experiment a bit? I wouldn't call this a hoppy beer at all.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #207
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet
I've brewed two version of this and get no hop forward taste at all. Did you follow the schedule or experiment a bit? I wouldn't call this a hoppy beer at all.
I don't think it was hop bitterness. The beer is just green and has not mellowed so it has got a bit of a harsh edge. I followed the hop schedule.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #208
bannerj
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

So last night brewing this....I messed up and didn't put the wine yeast in at 15min. How will that affect things? Yeast activity hasn't started in the last 8 hours. Temp in the basement is about 65.

I used one vial of WLP 500 and pitched it straight in since I was wrapping up everything around 1am.

Is there any point in boiling some water now with the wine yeast and pitch that for nutrients?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #209
Silverbullet
Recipes 

WLP500 took forever to kick off in my starter and that was with a stir plate, low OG (1.035ish) and yeast nutrient. One vial will definitely be under pitched and will take several days to take off I would think. I would add another vial of 500 if you can and the nutrient. If you aren't able too, it will still make beer.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #210
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I took this to a family function last night. It was a HUGE success! I took 4 bombers and brought 1 home, everyone said they would have drank more if they didn't have to drive. Everyone loved it though.

Quick Reply