Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Easy Chimay Blue clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #191
ajohnson153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

*Update*
Just bought a new 5 gal carboy so I racked the beer into it today after 2 months in primary (busy schedule and not having a lot of time to bottle.) to get it off of the yeast. Hydrometer sample tastes absolutely amazing. Age has really done this beer a lot of good. I detected none of the alcohol bite that the previous sample had. I liked it so much that I drank the entire hydrometer test jar full of it, warm and uncarbonated. I let my housemate try some of it and her comment was basically "WOW! I could drink this all day long, without the high yeast content (Some of the trub managed to get into the sample so it tasted extra yeasty). I hope to get this bottled soon, at least within the next few weeks since I will need that secondary for another beer I'm brewing on Tuesday. Just wanted to give you guys an update on how things are shaping up. And maybe to brag a bit.

If you're gonna do wrong buddy, do wrong right!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #192
mdawson9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i brewed the original recipe but used 1388 - belgian strong ale yeast since LHBS was out of other options. OG was 1.072 and FG was 1.020. bottled yesterday. tasted great! but definitely lacking some of the dubbel favors, i'm sure that's a yeast thing. still looking forward to it maturing. given it was on the lower end of the OG spectrum, i assume this will be delicious in much less than 6 months, right?

RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

Old 09-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #193
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson9 View Post
i brewed the original recipe but used 1388 - belgian strong ale yeast since LHBS was out of other options. OG was 1.072 and FG was 1.020. bottled yesterday. tasted great! but definitely lacking some of the dubbel favors, i'm sure that's a yeast thing. still looking forward to it maturing. given it was on the lower end of the OG spectrum, i assume this will be delicious in much less than 6 months, right?
Mine is great after two months of bulk aging. I didn't secondary mine until a couple of days ago because I didn't have a second carboy and was planning to bottle it sooner. Life has a funny way of getting in the way like that. But if I were you despite your low OG I would still treat it like you would any other Belgian. You still used a Belgian strain of yeast so I am pretty sure this is still a beer that is going to get better with age. And I would definitely attribute your lack of dubbel character to the yeast. It's your beer so drink it when you feel it's ready. You can always sample from time to time and figure out when it's ready.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #194
run42beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I followed Fatty Liver's recipe pretty closely and made this 8/4/2012 with Wyeast 1214. At the end I hit SG 1.080@72F, after 3 weeks in primary I was down to 1.016@72F, bottled with 5oz of priming sugar. The sample from the hydrometer reading smelled/tasted great. Today I was anxious and put a 12oz bottle in the fridge. Upon opening it I immediately noticed lack of carbonation (OK, I was just too eager to give this a try). The tast/smell was great, it was definitely obvious this was a high gravity beer but the high ABV was not too much in your face. Guess I'll have to be more patient and let it age for a few more weeks, hoping that carbonation will properly develop in the bottles. Can't wait!

Thanks for the recipe!

Heiko - who made his first all grain batch this weekend with a Founders Breakfast Stout clone by DubbleDach (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/foun...-clone-139078/)

Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #195
wilberfoss
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Hi, brewed this today and forgot to add the wine yeast. Such an odd thing to add it slipped my mind! I have two packets of Red Star Pasteur Red wine yeast sitting here, should I add them now? It's only been in the carboy an hour.

First post by the way- thanks to all for all the advice I've gleaned just from browsing around over my first year of brewing.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #196
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberfoss
Hi, brewed this today and forgot to add the wine yeast. Such an odd thing to add it slipped my mind! I have two packets of Red Star Pasteur Red wine yeast sitting here, should I add them now? It's only been in the carboy an hour.

First post by the way- thanks to all for all the advice I've gleaned just from browsing around over my first year of brewing.
I used no wine yeast at all and mine turned out fine. The wine yeast isn't really required. I wouldn't worry about it.

wilberfoss Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #197
wilberfoss
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153 View Post
I used no wine yeast at all and mine turned out fine. The wine yeast isn't really required. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #198
adagiogray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No need to worry about the wine yeast - it is just intended to be killed off in the boil as a nutrient for the live, active Belgian yeast that you put in later. Nice to have, not necessary. I usually buy and use a separate yeast nutrient with the bigger, higher gravity beers, but it's not required.

You usually don't want 2 different *active* yeasts going on. It probably wouldn't alter the flavor greatly, but I'd just let it roll at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberfoss View Post

Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #199
mdawson9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok. I did 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in bottle. Popped a bomber last night and wow! Best beer out of the 8 or 9 brews I've done. Just delicious. Can't wait to see how it ages. If if keeps getting better then I'm in for a treat!

RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #200
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson9
Ok. I did 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in bottle. Popped a bomber last night and wow! Best beer out of the 8 or 9 brews I've done. Just delicious. Can't wait to see how it ages. If if keeps getting better then I'm in for a treat!
Take a couple and hide them from yourself. Come back in about a year and pop those. I'd bet they are fantastic then.

Quick Reply