Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Easy Chimay Blue clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #171
Krazykripple
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

looks delicious. i can't find munich malt extract anywhere so i'm planning to do a partial mash. how much total munich malt should i mash and at what temp? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #172
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

LME is 75% the weight/volume of grain if 75% efficiency is obtained. I use this method for converting AG to extract. So mash 10 lbs of Munich malt since you'd be adding the steeping Munich to the bill. If it's partial mash I'd say 148^ - 156^ for 60-75 minutes. Couldn't say for AG. Maybe the same? Good stuff! If you like BSDA's check my recent recipe for the cloister cooler . . . .I was very pleasantly pleased.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #173
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyLiver View Post
I followed the OP recipe fairly closely but tweaked it to get it to the magic 9% of Chimay Blue.

I also used Amber Belgian Candy syrup instead also.

I did however split it into two 2.5 gallon batches one with WLP500 and one with WY1214

Ingredients used

Ingredients
-----------
Amber LME 3.30 lb, Extract, Extract
Aromatic Malt (Belgian) 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
Northern Brewer LME - Munich 6.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Candi Sugar, Amber (Belgian) 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
CaraMunich 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Munich (German) 2.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Special "B" (Belgian) 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Torrified Wheat 0.50 lb, Adjunct, Steeped

Hallertauer (Germany) 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Styrian Golding (Slovenia) 1.00 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes

This somehow hit exactly 1.09 OG. This batch was almost meant to be so far.

I am 3 weeks into the primary and the gravity is as follows.

WY1214 batch = 1.022
WLP500 Batch = 1.0215

Taste test was delicious. The 1214 batch smells a bit better, while I preferred the taste of 500 batch a bit more. By a bit I mean minuscule and I can already tell these will both be delicious.

Odds are I am going to just bottle this from primary after week 4 since my FG is hit and it already tastes magical.

I decided I am going to add some 1214 before bottling to make sure nothing dare goes wrong while conditioning.

I'll report back sometime towards the end of June after I know I will cave in and try some of each early.

Thanks for the initial blueprint.
Been a long time lurker but this recipe finally got me to register. Digging up an older post and getting ready to brew this one up using everything listed above w/ WLP500 in a 2L starter. Most questions were covered in this thread but I was wondering, with regards to the particular recipe above, how long did you steep/mash the grains (typical 30, 45, 60) and how much water did you steep them in - 3 gallons and top up prior to boil or steep in full 6-6.5 gallons then add LME and boil for 60? Also, what were the best results for time in primary and secondary? This is a pretty big beer so I was planning 3 weeks primary and 2-6 months secondary with at least a month to bottle condition. However, if it doesn't need that much time and I can drink it sooner, so be it!

Been awhile now since some of you have brewed these up. What are your final thoughts? Really looking forward to this one!

Last edited by Silverbullet; 06-16-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #174
Silverbullet
Recipes 

First time using Beersmith. Does this look correct based on FattyLiver's recipe?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 24.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 129.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 14.2 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.6 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 3.6 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.8 %
6 lbs Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 60 min](1 Extract 6 42.7 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 60 min](1 Extract 7 23.5 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 13.6 IBUs
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber [Boil for 60 min](75. Sugar 9 7.1 %
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 mi Hop 10 11.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 0.8 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 6.69 qt of water at 163.2 F 154.0 F 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.52gal, 3.74gal) of 168.0 F water

Last edited by Silverbullet; 06-21-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #175
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Bought the ingredients for Fattyliver's recipe today. I'll be brewing this up within the next week or two. I bought the 90L dark candi syrup instead of the 45L amber candi syrup. I'm interested to see how this affects the flavor. Anyone know what the difference would be?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #176
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153 View Post
I bought the 90L dark candi syrup instead of the 45L amber candi syrup. I'm interested to see how this affects the flavor. Anyone know what the difference would be?
Color will be much darker (44 SRM vs 23ish) and shoot your potential ABV up ~1% or more (from 10% to 11.3%) based on beersmith compared to what comes right of Fattyliver's recipe.

Last edited by Silverbullet; 06-21-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #177
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I know to add the candi syrup in around the last 5 minutes of the boil. Last brew I added half of the LME @60mins and the other half at around 30mins. I was wondering if I should do the same with this recipe or just dump it all in at the beginning and let it go?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #178
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So, I brewed Fattyliver's recipe. Everything was going well (except for that one small boilover), I made sure to sanitize all of my utensils and even had enough ice in my ice bath to cool my wort to pitching temp pretty quickly. I took my gravity reading and it exactly what I was shooting for. Couldn't have been more perfect. I smiled the entire time I was putting my wort in my fermenter. Then I walked back into the house to make sure I cleared a path to my brew closet, and stopped dead in my tracks, I DIDN'T SANITIZE MY FERMENTER! I feel like such a stupid brewer right now. I'm not going to dump it, I'll see how it turns out, but I am a bit nervous at the moment. What a rotten end to a brewday.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:40 AM   #179
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Hopefully everything turns out fine for you ajohnson, which I'm sure it will. You at least cleaned/sanitized your fermentor the last time you used it, right? I too just brewed up fattylivers version of this on Monday. I did a mini-mash of sorts and ended up with about a gallon more than I wanted pre-boil after sparging. Ended up boiling for much longer than planned to get it down, and OG up where I wanted it. After a nearly 120 min boil, called it good enough with 6 gal going into the primary along with a 2L start that had been stepped up twice. Needless to say my poor 6.5 gallon better bottle didn't take long to start putting that blow off tube to good use!
I was initially going to double the recipe and go with a 10 gal batch but decided to do two different versions. The next one I brew (tomorrow) will use the dark candi syrup (vice the amber), double the aromatic and 2.5lbs munich malt. I'll do a BIAB style with the grains this time instead of mash/sparge and see what that does for the efficiency and will make darn sure to keep under 7gal pre-boil vs. the 8gal I started with last time.
What did your OG end up being? I came in at 1.080 w/6 gal and figure the next batch will be close to 1.090 unless efficiency drops with the BIAB approach. How long are you planning to primary/secondary? I'm thinking 14 days primary and about a month secondary with 3 weeks bottle conditioning. I know some had mentioned nearly 6 mo in the secondary but I don't think I have that kind of patience....

Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #180
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I too did a mini mash. This was my second batch and my first one using grains. My last batch was extract only. I put 2 gallons of water at about 160F into my 5 gallon rubbermaid drink cooler figuring that adding the grains would bring it down to an acceptable mash temperature (again I have never done this before so if I did it wrong feel free to correct my method so I can do it properly on my next go round.) covered and let it steep for about 40 mins. Then sparged by submerging my drained grains in water at about the same temp as my mash water for about 10-15 mins. I then added the lot into my kettle and boiled as usual. My OG ended up right at around .091 and is now in my primary. I don't currently have a secondary fermenting vessel so I was planning on leaving it in primary for a month then bottle and age. I brewed this up to give as Christmas presents next year so I figure after aging for over a year it should be perfect when I give it to people next year. I will of course drink some during that time as well. I didn't pitch a starter I only used two vials of WLP500. Took about 24 hours for fermentation to start. The foam dropped today but my blowoff tube is still bubbling and my brew closet smells fantastic so I am just going to let it go and hope I don't have a stuck fermentation. The brew day went well except for being a bonehead and forgetting my sanitation on my carboy. I'll let you know how the Dark Candi syrup works out since that is what I ended up getting. Overall I am happy with how it ended up. Next time I will sanitize my carboy before I even start brewing so I get it out of the way before I get distracted and forget, and I will definitely pitch a starter next time as well.

Quick Reply