Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Easy Chimay Blue clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #101
shanlmt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default my 1st high gravity

Just put it in the primary fermenter. I did fattyliver's recipe and my OG was 1.08. I can't wait till it's done!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #102
Crimsonwine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just brewed this Sunday and had a OG of 1.077. Also I made my own inverted sugar (Lyles Golden Syrup) but I left mine on boil till it started to caramelize to an amber color. It made just over two pounds and i pitched one pound. Based on my OG I should of pitched the other pound but was not sure if it would throw off the taste.

I went with WL500 Trappist Yeast since that seems to be the best selection based on feedback here. I created a 1200mL starter based on BeerSmith2 and pitched that.

I put it in my lager chest and set the temp to 68F. All I can say is the aroma after a couple days of fermentation is amazing. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

I went out and bought a bottle of Chimay Blue so i can do a side by side when it is time. Its been a long time since I had some...and at $15 bottle I am glad I can homebrew it!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #103
adagiogray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just did another batch of this up, this time with the proper yeast and hops. OG was spot on at 1.074, but even after 5 weeks in the primary(I didn't bother with the secondary this time) It had only dropped to 1.018. The temp got a little hot during the mash a couple of times, and I did add an extra 1/4 lb of chocolate malt, but I figured it would finish lower. It sat in a 69-74ish temp range throughout, it may have gotten as high as 80 for a few days in my basement while I was gone fotr vacation with the a/c off.... Just hope 1. I don't get bottle bombs and 2. there's enough yeast alive to carb it up. The uncarbed beer at bottling was quite tasty. It'll only get better with a few months aging.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #104
Crimsonwine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How is everyone aging there Chimay Blue Clone?

I have mine kegged and sitting in a lager chest at 52F uncarbed...Was wondering if just putting into my kegerator where it is 38F and letting it sit for a couple months to age will be ok...or should this beer age at a warmer temp?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #105
LordHumungus
Recipes 

Just got my batch into the primary fermenter last night, with a OG 1.076. Had to use Karos syrup, and used White Labs Trappist yeast. Can't wait!

Day 4 - Still bubbling at a healthy level but definitely slowing. Added another 16 oz of Karos (total 32) per brew shops advice.

Day 7 - Stopped bubbling, transferred to secondary but probably too early. Gravity 1.026. May need to repitch, but will wait 10 days.

Day 14 - Tastes quite good. Fruity, ever so slightly bitter aftertaste. Gravity steady at 1.026. Anyone think I need to repitch?

Last edited by LordHumungus; 10-09-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #106
JAStout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyLiver View Post
I followed the OP recipe fairly closely but tweaked it to get it to the magic 9% of Chimay Blue.

I also used Amber Belgian Candy syrup instead also.

I did however split it into two 2.5 gallon batches one with WLP500 and one with WY1214

Ingredients used

Ingredients
-----------
Amber LME 3.30 lb, Extract, Extract
Aromatic Malt (Belgian) 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
Northern Brewer LME - Munich 6.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Candi Sugar, Amber (Belgian) 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
CaraMunich 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Munich (German) 2.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Special "B" (Belgian) 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Torrified Wheat 0.50 lb, Adjunct, Steeped

Hallertauer (Germany) 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Styrian Golding (Slovenia) 1.00 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes

This somehow hit exactly 1.09 OG. This batch was almost meant to be so far.

I am 3 weeks into the primary and the gravity is as follows.

WY1214 batch = 1.022
WLP500 Batch = 1.0215

Taste test was delicious. The 1214 batch smells a bit better, while I preferred the taste of 500 batch a bit more. By a bit I mean minuscule and I can already tell these will both be delicious.

Odds are I am going to just bottle this from primary after week 4 since my FG is hit and it already tastes magical.

I decided I am going to add some 1214 before bottling to make sure nothing dare goes wrong while conditioning.

I'll report back sometime towards the end of June after I know I will cave in and try some of each early.

Thanks for the initial blueprint.
Hello,

My wort gravity seems to be stuck at 1.030 for two weeks now. Here’s the details.

I brewed Fattyliver’s recipe on Sept 5th. My OG was 1.086
I made the candi sugar, cooked it a bit darker than called for. It tasted very “roasty”.
I made one addition to the recipe – 0.2 lb puffed wheat.

My mash went like this:
Mashed everything in 2.5 gal water for:
30 min at 122F
45 min at 156F
5 min at 170F

Then added the wort to 3 gallons of water, added the extracts and started the boil (1 hour).
Added hops per schedule
Add yeast nutrient at 50 min.
Added candi sugar at 60 min.
Cooled to 75F and pitched a 3 liter starter of WLP500.

Wort has been at 72F for three weeks now. It tastes wonderful, but I’d like it to be a bit drier. 

Any recommendations to get this to attenuate more?

-J

Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #107
LordHumungus
Recipes 

What was your final gravity?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #108
JAStout
Recipes 

It was still at 1.030 last Monday. That same day, I added some yeast nutrient and stirred the wort. I'll check the gravity again tonight.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #109
shanlmt
Recipes 

I bottled the Chimay last week, after being in the secondary for about 5 weeks. The ABV was just a little under 8%. My OG was 1.082 and FG 1.02. The taste is great! I can't wait to drink it. I'm going to try and be patient and leave it in the bottles for at least a month before I try one.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #110
cmaz
Recipes 

We took a stab at brewing this beer this past Sunday. A couple of alterations though:

i mistakenly bought clear candi sugar instead of amber.

LHBS does not carry White Labs, so i used the Wyeast 1214.

LHBS had no Northern Brewer Munich LME, so i asked him for equal parts x-light and amber. He came up a little light, though and only gave me 9 lbs. And on top of that, i used a cup of the xlight to make the starter. Then i got nervous that i was going to be way low for my OG, so, went back to LHBS and bought some Light DME and added a pound and a half of that to the recipe.

Here is what it finally came down to:

Aromatic Malt (Belgian) 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
CaraMunich 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Munich (German) 2.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Special "B" (Belgian) 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Torrified Wheat 0.50 lb, Adjunct, Steeped

Steeped for 40 minutes at 156 degrees.

Added 0.5 lb light DME and started boil.

Hallertauer (Germany) 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Styrian Golding (Slovenia) 1.00 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes

X-light LME 3.00 lb, Extract, @ Knockout
Amber LME 4.00 lb, Extract, @ Knockout
Light DME 1.00 lb, Extrackt @ Knockout
Candi Sugar, Amber (Belgian) 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other @ Knockout
Yeast Nutrient, 2 tsp @ Knockout
Whirlfloc Tab, 1 tab at Knockout

(boy, knockout was busy, and adding all that LME stopped the boil, so i brought it back up to boil and went about 10 minute extra)

OG came out much much lower than i had hoped/expected (although Brewtarget was telling me it was going to be low, i didn't believe it. Fattyliver, if you're still reading this, how did you get up to 1.09?). My OG was 1.079.

Wyeast 1214, made a starter two nights before from 1 cup LME and 4 cups water. Then bumped it up again the next night with 1/2 cup DME and 2 cups water.

First time i've done a starter, and was worried that i hadn't began that process early enough. One online calculator told me i needed 6 liters of starter! i didn't get anyhere near that, but i must have done alright, because it was off and bubbling within about 3 hours.

Today is Tuesday and it got a little cold last night, but it is still going. Can't wait til it's done so we can move it to secondary and give it a taste.

Quick Reply