Witbier Easy Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP 400
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at ~72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at ~72
6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (boil 10mins)
1lb wheat malt (steep 30mins)
1 pound of clear Belgian candi sugar
.5 ounces of bitter orange peel (boil for 2 min)
1 ounces of tettnanger hops @ 4.2% (boil for 10 min)
1 ounces of styrian golding hops @ 4.4% (boil for 30min)
.75 ounces of coriander seed (boil for 2 min)
1 pkg of wlp400 or you could use wlp410.
0.75 cups of corn sugar (priming)

Everyone that has had this so far has loved it. I'll probably do it again as a partial mash.
Also the color is much darker than 4* since I used LME.

Quite a while since I made this up. For an outstanding white that is AG only, see my Killer Bee Wit.

This time around I did this as an all grain and changed a few things. Here's the bill:

60min Boil
Belgian Wit
OG: 1.053
IBU: 14
Loviblond: 4
7.50 lb American two-row
4.00 lb Flaked Wheat
0.5 oz Simcoe @ 12% 35 minutes
.5oz Bitter Orange Peal 10mins
.5oz Corriander Seed 10mins
Yeast: WLP400

Very good.

How much of a difference did the .5 of corriander vice .75 make? I am thinking of doing a wit, and I am not sure how much bitter orange and corriander to use.

yeah with the super low ibu, I can use hops in half ounce increments instead of 3 or 4oz!

I have a recipie that uses 4.5 lbs of 2Row Belgian and 4.5 pounds of flaked wheat. If I can't get 2-row Belgian, how much 2-Row American should I use?

That depends on your efficiency I guess. They both have the same potential extract so they're are swappable, 1:1. I have my recipes set to 71%, so if you look at the AG version I posed below the original, it uses American wheat.

I have used this recipe for Wit about 10 times and it comes out perfect every time.

The recipe shows a two step mash, but actually a single infusion is sufficient in this case.

It is a real favorite with the guests who prefer lighter beers.

Cheers,
Brad

My LHBS sells Black Rock LME, would there be any significant difference in using the "Light" LME from BR as opposed to the "Wheat" LME from Coopers? Hope not, I just bought two cans!!! :)

Also, when steeping the wheat malt, do I just turn off the burner after boiling the extract for 10 min?

My LHBS sells Black Rock LME, would there be any significant difference in using the "Light" LME from BR as opposed to the "Wheat" LME from Coopers? Hope not, I just bought two cans!!! :)

Also, when steeping the wheat malt, do I just turn off the burner after boiling the extract for 10 min?

yes there is a difference. Wheat LME is usually like 60 or 40% wheat. Light LME is all barley.
As for steeping, read up on extract with specialty grains. Before you add your extract bring the water to about 150 and steep the grains in that for 30mins or so. Remove the grains and THEN bring it to a boil.
do you crush your corriander?
Yes, lightly. like a few runs with the rolling pin while it's in the bag. If you crush too much or grind the hell out of it, it can become overpowering quick.

I brewed this yesterday and the OG came to 1.057, should i have used a starter for this? I used single vial of WLP400 and I saw a couple of bubbles this morning in the airlock if that helps any...

so this brew is happily fermenting away, but is looks like there is a white-ish residue on the 'veins' of the carboy. could this be infection?

How did the extract version turn out? I'm currently only doing Extract with steeping so this sounds interesting.

Let me know!

i really enjoyed the extract version, it was the second batch of beer i ever made. it definitely helped the confidence level early on. I plan on doing this all grain again soon it was so good.

Just a quick question about the orange peel...is this simply just removed from an orange with a zester, or is there a special orange peel/method used to obtaining it properly?

you can buy it from a lhbs, or zest your own orange. I recommend the latter.

You can zest an orange for "sweet" orange peel. If you need "bitter" orange peel you have to buy it. It looks disgusting, like it molded... if one glance tells you to never-never-never-NEVER put that in ANYTHING you intend to eat or drink, then you found the right stuff. ;)

Using this recipe as a basis for our newest idea... Pomegranate Wit. Adjusted the hops for what our LHBS had in stock, our alpha acids were off. Adding the juice of two poms at flameout. 14 more waiting for secondary fermentation.
Here's hoping!
CHEERS!

I just brought a list of these ingredients to my home brew supply store and the gentleman gave me 1 lb. of Breiss dried wheat malt extract. This is a fine powder and I'm sure this isn't the wheat malt suggested in the recipe to be steeped. Can this be mixed with water to start the wort instead of steeping the crushed grain type malt which I'm assuming was meant to be used, or will I need to go back and get a different type of malt? This will be my second brew and I'm just getting used to the terminology involved so I hope someone will understand what I'm trying to ask.

It is not the wheat malt intended to be steeped. It is malt extract, which is already in the recipe.

You can go ahead and make the recipe as is, using what you have, or head back to the store. Steeping the grain gives more flavor and head retention, and less sugars, so if you add an extra pound of extract instead of the grain you will have a different beer.

[Just a quick question about the orange pee its .5 ounces ore 0,5 ounces?

QUOTE=z987k;279256]6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (boil 10mins)
1lb wheat malt (steep 30mins)
1 pound of clear Belgian candi sugar
.5 ounces of bitter orange peel (boil for 2 min)
1 ounces of tettnanger hops @ 4.2% (boil for 10 min)
1 ounces of styrian golding hops @ 4.4% (boil for 30min)
.75 ounces of coriander seed (boil for 2 min)
1 pkg of wlp400 or you could use wlp410.
0.75 cups of corn sugar (priming)

Everyone that has had this so far has loved it. I'll probably do it again as a partial mash.
Also the color is much darker than 4* since I used LME.

Quite a while since I made this up. For an outstanding white that is AG only, see my Killer Bee Wit.[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back