Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Duvel (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
TUCK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just an update*

The pear really mellowed out. I am extremely pleased at how good this turned out.

The strong residual sweetness is gone and the pear is just lingering in the back of the palate on the finish, with very high carbonation that "zings" the palate on contact. A very nice and elegant beer if I say so myself. PLEASE SOMEONE TRY THIS if you love Golden Belgium's.

For anyone wanting to try something adventurous, this is it. I am so selfish with this beer I won't even let my self pull on the tap too much.

I will be trying the batch without the pear for the first time this weekend, so I will update ASAP on the results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 02:18 AM   #12
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCK
Just an update*

The pear really mellowed out. I am extremely pleased at how good this turned out.

The strong residual sweetness is gone and the pear is just lingering in the back of the palate on the finish, with very high carbonation that "zings" the palate on contact. A very nice and elegant beer if I say so myself. PLEASE SOMEONE TRY THIS if you love Golden Belgium's.

For anyone wanting to try something adventurous, this is it. I am so selfish with this beer I won't even let my self pull on the tap too much.

I will be trying the batch without the pear for the first time this weekend, so I will update ASAP on the results.

You know what - I was looking for something different to do next weekend; I think I found it. I love pears and I think they'd really add to a beer. I did a watermelon wheat and was THRILLED with the results, so I think I'm going to give this a shot.

I'm going to use hops I have on hand - Willamette instead of Goldings and Sorachi Ace in place of the Saaz. I'll probably use WLP570 for the yeast too. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for posting something a little outside of the ordinary!!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #13
TUCK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
You know what - I was looking for something different to do next weekend; I think I found it. I love pears and I think they'd really add to a beer. I did a watermelon wheat and was THRILLED with the results, so I think I'm going to give this a shot.

I'm going to use hops I have on hand - Willamette instead of Goldings and Sorachi Ace in place of the Saaz. I'll probably use WLP570 for the yeast too. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for posting something a little outside of the ordinary!!

Glad to hear it and can't wait to hear your results good luck

BTW did you brew it?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
doublegun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Umm, I don't live too far away, and I'll be passing through your neck of the woods on my way to Tennessee in a couple of weeks. Just thinkin' that that pear Duvel sounds pretty interesting. Just sayin'.

Primary- Pale Ale
Secondary-
Conditioning- Belgian Strong Ale
On Deck- more Belgian stuff, Cru
Drinking- Weizen, Wit, IPA, Tripel

Old 02-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
TUCK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublegun
Umm, I don't live too far away, and I'll be passing through your neck of the woods on my way to Tennessee in a couple of weeks. Just thinkin' that that pear Duvel sounds pretty interesting. Just sayin'.
LOL

OH man I wish I had some to spare, I only have one 40oz bottle left and it will be aging until November.

BUT we should get together and brew a few.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #16
TUCK

Recipes 

Ok,So I opened up a bottle I had saved for a friend ( I saved it for 6 months), he never came to pick it up and I was feeling froggy, so I popped it.
And let me say...OMG. I was so pissed I floated the keg so soon. The pear really reallly reallly mellowed out. The buddy I wax tasting it with was pickin up apples and apricot and I finally told him it was asian pears.

I am so freakin impresses by this. I know it IS a pain in the ass to brew but boy was it worth it for me. This will be my next brew for sure!

NOTE: Previous in this post I said not to add as much pear as I did, BUT, I take it back if you wanna put some age on her. If you like golden Belgians then this is it

My bar gets our Duvel shipment in tommorrow and this time I think I might take the yeast from 2 or more bottles to try to decrease my starter-prep time.

If brewed give it time...when it's done, give it more time

BTW I still have the bottle intended to be opened NOVEMBER 08

Old 03-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I kegged my version this weekend - used 10 pounds of mixed pears in 10 gals. The hydro sample tasted AMAZING. I can't wait for it to carb up so I can give it a shot.

Mine fermented down to 002 after adding the pears - so, it's going to pack a punch! Any idea how to account for the sugar in the pears as it relates to alcohol %?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #18
TUCK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I kegged my version this weekend - used 10 pounds of mixed pears in 10 gals. The hydro sample tasted AMAZING. I can't wait for it to carb up so I can give it a shot.

Mine fermented down to 002 after adding the pears - so, it's going to pack a punch! Any idea how to account for the sugar in the pears as it relates to alcohol %?
I am sure their is a way (maybe with a refractometer) but I did not, It "felt " like it had a nice punch to me.

I would call it a desert beer in its early stages yet give it 3-6 and it is just tasty any time.

I am excited to see how yours turns out.
Keep me updated

BTW: were you able to use Duvel yeast

Old 03-19-2008, 05:35 AM   #19
TUCK

Recipes 

You know this beer kind of taste like Duvel, with it being a Golden Ale as well, yet I don't think I want to call it a clone nor due I think it is fair/respectful to the original Duvel.
So with this in mind I think I will call it

DOOVAL

Because it a adds a little American to it because every time someone (snobby rich American) orders one at my bar thats how they say it. When it is pronounced De-vil

Ya thats kind of beer snobby-ish but oh well, I like it.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #20
Benny Blanco

Recipes 

I always thought it was pronounced "doovel" (rhymes with poodle)

Quick Reply