Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Dandelion Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default All-Grain - Dandelion Saison

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: ECY08
Yeast Starter: No-pitched from cake
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.006
IBU: 33
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 80 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 58 degrees
Tasting Notes: Spicy, earthy hops. Citrus rind and light pepper. Some floral and herbal notes.

Grain:
7.00 lb Belgian Pilsner (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb German Munich (9.0 SRM)
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)

Hops:
0.63 oz Sorachi Ace(12.30% AA) First Wort Hop (29.8 IBU)
0.50 oz Saaz (4.00% AA) @15 min (3.5 IBU)
0.50 oz Williamette (5.50% AA) @flameout
1.00 oz Saaz (4.00% AA) @flameout

0.75 oz Dandelion (dried petals only) @flameout

Yeast:
Saison Brassiere (East Coast Yeast #ECY008)

Mash Schedule:
Protein rest: Add 5qt of water at 130F to reach 113F for 20 min
Saccharification: Add 10qt of water at 170F to reach 148F for 40 min
Drain first runnings into kettle on top of first wort hops
Mashout: Add 15qt of water at 190F to reach 168F for 10 min
Drain second runnings into kettle

Picture:

This beer is the long awaited fruit of pulling dandelions last spring. I popped the flower heads off of each one I pulled and dried them in a fruit dehydrator before removing the petals from the green and white parts. I got 3/4oz of petals, and all of them went in at flameout.

The yeast I used is the ECY08, which is a blend of 5 saison yeasts. The original pitch (several saisons ago) had banana and some clove and citrus. By the time I pitched it into this beer (generation 5), there was very little clove alongside citrus and a light pepper. Great blend, highly recommended. If you don't have ECY08, Wyeast 3711 would be good for this beer too.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
DiazBros
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The looks of this is awesome! May just have to brew this one up.

I may have to wait a couple more months before the dandelions show up again. Unless you know where I can buy them elsewhere???

Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiazBros View Post
The looks of this is awesome! May just have to brew this one up.

I may have to wait a couple more months before the dandelions show up again. Unless you know where I can buy them elsewhere???
I'm liking it a lot so far. I'll definitely put in the work for more petals this spring. I doubt there is anywhere that you can buy them. I've seen dandelion root for sale once or twice, but never the petals.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
HLRA
Recipes 

approximately what was the amount you had to harvest to dry them down to 3/4oz (21g) ?

i recently tried the phantome dandelion saison and although it didnt blow me away, i still want to try to make it myself.

is it feasible i could grow enough in a window sill box to make a noticeable flavor contribution?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

3/4oz was the result of probably 200 dried flower heads. I suppose you could grow them in a window box, but honestly I'd rather grow something else.

The flavor contribution of these isn't huge, but the beer definitely has more floral&herbal aroma and flavor than normal.

HLRA Likes This 
Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
HLRA
Recipes 

my brother was at my mom's today and he picked about 200 heads from the yard before the weed and feed went down. thank the brewing gods that we are lazy folk who dont put much chemicals on it.

so its only a matter of time before i give your recipe a test drive.
time to get excited.

whenever your brewing starts to stagnate, just head to homebrewtalk to give it a lift. right?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

aside from the potential risk of an infection.... wouldn't it be better to "Dry-Hop" the petals? I'd think you'd get more flavor/aroma contribution from them in that manner.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsyFlanootsy View Post
aside from the potential risk of an infection.... wouldn't it be better to "Dry-Hop" the petals? I'd think you'd get more flavor/aroma contribution from them in that manner.
It's possible. Putting them in at flameout and steeping a bit works just fine too.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I guess, but I'd think that something with such a delicate profile would be ruined by any amount of heat over 100f or so.

what IS the flavor of dandelion petals exactly? Did you taste them before using them to get an idea?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

I made a tea out of the flowers once. It's lightly floral and a little bitter. I've also have dandelion wine.

Ever tried the Elysian Jasmine IPA, or the clone recipe here on the forum? That beer has you steep jasmine flowers, which works just fine. I'm definitely not against "dry-hopping" the petals, but this is a once a year beer so it's a little hard to experiment.

Quick Reply