Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Cottage House Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #771
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1one View Post

I know, never had a problem before but I put it in an ABV calculator at my standard effeciency and took the oats out, ABV was bang on what I hit.
If you just took the oats out, of course the abv goes down, you are straight subtracting fermentables from the calculation. If you subbed 2row, the estimate should be very close to the same.

I don't see how flaked cereals could give you a problem on their own with sugars. Perhaps a too-thick or too-fast mash, or a poor crush on the rest of the grist?

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #772
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I'm sort of thinking there was an overall mash issue to drop your numbers, do you crush your own or do you buy precrushed grain? I used to have wildly varied efficiency numbers before I got my own mill, even then untill I dialed in my process to a repeatable procedure I was still all over the map on my numbers

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #773
kharper6
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm about 2 gallons into my keg and this beer has changed drastically. IT went from looking exactly like everything posted here, to something that is crystal clear and slightly lacking in that "saison flavor" that I can't really describe, but know so well.

Anyone have any idea what has happened here? I didn't do any refining, my keg is completely oxygen purged and is not leaking. Really weirded out right now! My fridge is set to 44 with a 2 degree differential.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #774
NuclearRich
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
I did a 2gallon pilot batch last night, a tweak from this recipe. I didnt have the same hops on hand, so just subbed what I had (Sorachi & tett for FWH, willamette for 30min, cent for 15). The interesting tweak was to make 25% of the grain bill wild rice. I pre-gelatinized it and then crushed it up a little, added to the mash and tried to mash as normal. Since this was a pilot batch, it wouldn't work on my normal setup (MLT is 72qt coleman xtrreme, so a small grainbill barely covers the floor)... well I suppose it could have worked, but the setup and cleaning wasnt worth it, so I did the batch in the kitchen. After 4years of brewing, I've done my first batch ever in the kitchen! I used a pasta boiler/colander combo as a MLT and it worked pretty nicely. I had some difficulty maintaining the mash temps, but I was between 140 and 160 lol. The efficiency definitely took a hit, but it is hard to say if my low OG was due entirely from that or partially from unconverted rice (no iodine test). OG was 1.042. Pitched onto bottle dregs from 2 big bottles of my last saison (no saison yeast at LHBS...).

All in all, certainly a cottage house example... whatever I had on hand basically! I am very interested in the flavor the rice will impart, and I will update when I can! Cheers
I bottled this on Sat. The gravity sample was... interesting to taste lol. It was overly bitter, I'm guessing a couple things could have increased bitterness: smaller volume and lower gravity increased utilization during boil, and maybe while scaling hops down I should have used a lower ratio than 1:1. Also the pepper was strong but I had the same thing happen the last time I brewed a full batch. I think using fresh crushed black pepper rather than pre-ground pepper adds a much more intense flavor. The FG was 1.012 IIRC, putting this right about 4%ABV. Not quite as dry as I've gotten it in the past, likely caused by one of two things: using dregs and not properly stepping up the yeast, and perhaps the rice added more unfermentables.
I'm hoping the bottle conditioning gives the more intense hoppy and peppery flavors time to dial down. It was hard to say if I detected any differences the wild rice put it, but I'll wait to really judge until its been carbed and chilled.

Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #775
NuclearRich
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post

I bottled this on Sat. The gravity sample was... interesting to taste lol. It was overly bitter, I'm guessing a couple things could have increased bitterness: smaller volume and lower gravity increased utilization during boil, and maybe while scaling hops down I should have used a lower ratio than 1:1. Also the pepper was strong but I had the same thing happen the last time I brewed a full batch. I think using fresh crushed black pepper rather than pre-ground pepper adds a much more intense flavor. The FG was 1.012 IIRC, putting this right about 4%ABV. Not quite as dry as I've gotten it in the past, likely caused by one of two things: using dregs and not properly stepping up the yeast, and perhaps the rice added more unfermentables.
I'm hoping the bottle conditioning gives the more intense hoppy and peppery flavors time to dial down. It was hard to say if I detected any differences the wild rice put it, but I'll wait to really judge until its been carbed and chilled.
Drinking this now. Tasty like the regular recipe. Still a little more bitter than usual, and I think I detect a spiciness similar to rye in there as well, almost a tang. I think ill further advance my experiments in the spring. Wild rice and Brett. Any suggestions? I think I'll take out the pepper just so I can taste the beer in the raw.

Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:

Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #776
Worthys
Recipes 

I just brewed this about 6 weeks ago and just as everybody else has said THIS IS ONE GOOD BEER!!! What an awesome recipes!!! I'm almost out of it already and going to my LHBS tomorrow to brew this again. This was my second all grain I did (first one didn't turn out to well) and was so happy it turned out so good. CONGRATS!!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #777
Zippox
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I do not yet know exactly what phenols taste like but from reading it sounds like fermenting in mid 60s the whole time will give the beer that character.

On the other hand I am hearing that going high as 85 will give fruity flavors.

I REALLY like lambics and the super funk that comes with it so I have some of that fermenting at the moment. What my question is - For this Saison should I ferment on the high end (85) or low end (60s) based on the preferences I described?

I don't know of what I describe is "phenolic" or "fruity". Please pardon my arrogance.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #778
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 127

The higher the fermentation the more funk you get, so fermenting in the 80s would be what you want to do.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #779
Zippox
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
The higher the fermentation the more funk you get, so fermenting in the 80s would be what you want to do.
Thanks azscoob. Am I good to transfer the wort to the carboys then put those right into a tub of 85 degree water? (I bought two aquarium heaters and will be making an 11 gal batch split between two carboys)

Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #780
breweringbeaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippox View Post
Thanks azscoob. Am I good to transfer the wort to the carboys then put those right into a tub of 85 degree water? (I bought two aquarium heaters and will be making an 11 gal batch split between two carboys)

When I'll done this recipe I found a electric heating pad works wonders for high temp management

Quick Reply