Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Cottage House Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #401
Lagger
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Bottled this today after 20 days in primary (1st week low 60's, last 2 at room temp). Sample tasted great! Good funk in there from the 3711, which was surprising. Harvested some Brett dregs recently to throw in the next batch with 3711, but dont think I'll need much.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #402
seatbelt123
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have 8 oz of Aramis hops. It's French and sounds good. Because I have so much of it I thought I would make this recipe with only Aramis.

What do y'all think?

Aramis is the product of a 2002 cross between the French variety Strisselspalt and the English variety WGV (Whitbread Golding Variety).
Aramis has very fine aromas, which it has inherited from the Strisselspalt line. It has sweet, spicy notes, with hints of citrus and herbs.
Its aroma and alpha acid content allow it to be used at all stages of hopping.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #403
CZs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatbelt123 View Post
I have 8 oz of Aramis hops. It's French and sounds good. Because I have so much of it I thought I would make this recipe with only Aramis.

What do y'all think?

Aramis is the product of a 2002 cross between the French variety Strisselspalt and the English variety WGV (Whitbread Golding Variety).
Aramis has very fine aromas, which it has inherited from the Strisselspalt line. It has sweet, spicy notes, with hints of citrus and herbs.
Its aroma and alpha acid content allow it to be used at all stages of hopping.
sounds like a good excuse to brew another saison! Thanks for the info - never heard of it before! I was thinking of wanting to use the Belle Saison - this might be good with that experiment!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #404
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this last night as a partial boil. Mostly all grain, but threw in 1lb of DME with 10 minutes left in the boil to make up for some missing gravity. It's very dark in the fermenter, wasn't expecting that. I also used Danstar Belle Saison yeast as my LHBS didn't have 3711.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #405
CZs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
I brewed this last night as a partial boil. Mostly all grain, but threw in 1lb of DME with 10 minutes left in the boil to make up for some missing gravity. It's very dark in the fermenter, wasn't expecting that. I also used Danstar Belle Saison yeast as my LHBS didn't have 3711.
awesome - would enjoy hearing your experience with this yeast and how it compares to 3711

I promised myself I'd step away from the saison but every time I try, another idea comes from HBT. I'm wondering how the Belle might work with a "Copper" Saison with emphasis on dark fruits or combining it with 3724

EDIT: The more I think of it - the more I like the idea of toying with Belle and using some Special B with hint of Walnut chips or ome wood-infused flavors in a session Grisette (4% ABV) with a real smooth wood or nutty/hops/slight malt character
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #406
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZs View Post
awesome - would enjoy hearing your experience with this yeast and how it compares to 3711

I promised myself I'd step away from the saison but every time I try, another idea comes from HBT. I'm wondering how the Belle might work with a "Copper" Saison with emphasis on dark fruits or combining it with 3724

EDIT: The more I think of it - the more I like the idea of toying with Belle and using some Special B with hint of Walnut chips or ome wood-infused flavors in a session Grisette (4% ABV) with a real smooth wood or nutty/hops/slight malt character
I'll be sure to post an update.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #407
temple240
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bottled this last night. Does anyone have a preferred age for this beer?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #408
breweringbeaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple240
I bottled this last night. Does anyone have a preferred age for this beer?
I'm at 3 weeks currently and still feel it needs probably 1 or 2 more

Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #409
CZs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breweringbeaz View Post
I'm at 3 weeks currently and still feel it needs probably 1 or 2 more
I've tasted green saison bottles at 1 week, 2 weeks, and 3-3.5 seems to be an odd in-between time, for me anyways. My pumpkin saison was 3 weeks just this Sunday - it tastes great, but, I think a nice round month and it will be that much better. EDIT: a little weird testing the pumpkin in April, but, will be refining it for the real Pumpkin Saison brew come July. I am loving my pipeline right now

I was so impatient my first couple of brews, but, now that I have my supply going, I'm finding it much easier to wait. I always make a half a gallon to a gallon extra just for tasting and making notes at different intervals. My next one, a BDS with 1762 and 3787 will be a huge test on my new found "patience" - although, I think some of the warmer/hot belgian characters will make it a little easier at first
Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #410
breweringbeaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Cheers great brew!!! Would highly recommend this to anyone. The pepper notes are fantastic. I'm thinking of brewing this again in 2 weeks only difference would be 10 gallon.

image-546234645.jpg  

Quick Reply