Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Cottage House Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
ddrayne10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi I have been looking at brewing a saison for a while and just ordered the yeast so I will be brewing a version of this recipe friday the 20th. So I have a week to get some feed back on some ideas. I was debating between rye ipa and a saison but after looking at this i was thinking about combing both. I was thinking what about substituting the wheat for the Rye malt, this should make it darker (but i think not too much?) and maybe lend to a little more dry spice and hopefully complement the yeast? Also I love white pepper so I was also thinking about changing out the black pepper for white pepper. Also after primary I was going to pull off a gallon and add some brett for a few months for a dryer, more tart, and a funky nose. No yeast starter hoping to get more esters out of the yeast and also starting at 68 for a day and let it naturally ramp up not not over 75-80. Any suggestions? Does this sound bad or reasonable?

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #32
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'm assuming you are using unmalted wheat, correct? Does that with the oats add a lot of body?

Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #33
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 143

I have done it both ways with malted and unmalted wheat without a lot of difference but yes the oats and wheat do give is some nice mouthfeel.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #34
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrayne10
Hi I have been looking at brewing a saison for a while and just ordered the yeast so I will be brewing a version of this recipe friday the 20th. So I have a week to get some feed back on some ideas. I was debating between rye ipa and a saison but after looking at this i was thinking about combing both. I was thinking what about substituting the wheat for the Rye malt, this should make it darker (but i think not too much?) and maybe lend to a little more dry spice and hopefully complement the yeast? Also I love white pepper so I was also thinking about changing out the black pepper for white pepper. Also after primary I was going to pull off a gallon and add some brett for a few months for a dryer, more tart, and a funky nose. No yeast starter hoping to get more esters out of the yeast and also starting at 68 for a day and let it naturally ramp up not not over 75-80. Any suggestions? Does this sound bad or reasonable?
It will turn out to be a completely different saison than mine but I like what you are planning to do. It should be a pretty damned good beer!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #35
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts

Have a question about this recipe...

I see in one of your posts that you would've used EK Goldings if you had them. I have a bunch currently in my freezer and no Fuggles. Would you think I'd get similar results just using my leftover EK Goldings instead of the Fuggles?

Also, anything else you could recommend instead of the Surachi Ace? I don't have any of this and not sure it'd be worth buying if I could sub in any of the following: Willamette, Cascade, Chinook, Mt Hood, Simcoe.

If you don't think I should be switching these out, then I'll certainly buy some Fuggles and Surachi Ace, but being relatively new to brewing, I wanted to consult with someone more experienced than myself.

What are your thoughts on this? Most appreciated!

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #36
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6
Have a question about this recipe...

I see in one of your posts that you would've used EK Goldings if you had them. I have a bunch currently in my freezer and no Fuggles. Would you think I'd get similar results just using my leftover EK Goldings instead of the Fuggles?

Also, anything else you could recommend instead of the Surachi Ace? I don't have any of this and not sure it'd be worth buying if I could sub in any of the following: Willamette, Cascade, Chinook, Mt Hood, Simcoe.

If you don't think I should be switching these out, then I'll certainly buy some Fuggles and Surachi Ace, but being relatively new to brewing, I wanted to consult with someone more experienced than myself.

What are your thoughts on this? Most appreciated!
I think you will be just fine with that EKG substitute, as for not having sorachi ace, I used it to give me some lemon note to go along with the black pepper hint.

You could substitute willamette, and maybe try zesting a bit if lemon into it, or a bit of bitter orange peel, have some fun with it! That's what makes this hobby so awesome, a tweak here, there. When I brew a saison, I use a bit of this, a touch of that, it is a farmhouse ale after all, think like a farmer and use what you have on hand!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #37
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I think you will be just fine with that EKG substitute, as for not having sorachi ace, I used it to give me some lemon note to go along with the black pepper hint.

You could substitute willamette, and maybe try zesting a bit if lemon into it, or a bit of bitter orange peel, have some fun with it! That's what makes this hobby so awesome, a tweak here, there. When I brew a saison, I use a bit of this, a touch of that, it is a farmhouse ale after all, think like a farmer and use what you have on hand!
OK, so since I'm a 1-Gallon AG brewer (I know, I know, I should brew larger batches ), here's what I've come up with based on your original recipe and suggestions for replacements:

Grain/Sugars:

1.55 lbs. Pilsner Malt (2-row)
0.27 lbs. White Wheat
0.09 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
0.09 lbs. Flaked Oats

Hops/Spices:

0.09 oz. Willamette @FWH.
0.09 oz. EK Goldings @FWH
0.09 oz. EK Goldings @30 min
0.18 oz. EK Goldings @15 min

0.18 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey @ 5 min.
0.27 tsp Black pepper, Fresh ground @5 min.

Yeast:

Wyeast 3711

I have 2 questions left on this:
-You advised I could sub Willamette for the Surachi Ace and maybe add some lemon zest, which I think is a great idea. I've never done anything like this in making my brews, so how much would you recommend adding, and at what point in the boil? You can give me the measurement you'd use for lemon zest based on your batch size, I'll just scale it down to my teeny old 1-Gallon batch

-What do you mean by FWH (see above) during the hop additions? I'm assuming this means to add them at the 60 min. mark of the boil?

Thank you so much for your guidance on this!

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 03-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #38
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I would zest a whole lemon and add it to the boil on my first attempt (5 gal)

FWH stands for First Wort Hopped, you add the hops to the kettle as you are collecting the wort, it gives a smoothe bitterness with some flavoring aspects, I really love the way the beer turns out like that. as long as you are adding the FWH hops before the boil you should be good.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #39
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I would zest a whole lemon and add it to the boil on my first attempt (5 gal)

FWH stands for First Wort Hopped, you add the hops to the kettle as you are collecting the wort, it gives a smoothe bitterness with some flavoring aspects, I really love the way the beer turns out like that. as long as you are adding the FWH hops before the boil you should be good.
Makes sense...So because I'm basically scaling everything down by 5.5 (to achieve a 1-Gallon batch), I'll use 1/5 of a whole lemon's zest and add the Willamette and EK Goldings to the wort before the boil, and then the remaining EK Goldings during the boil at 30 and 15 min.

Thanks so much! I think I'll be brewing this the weekend of the 24th.

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #40
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6

Makes sense...So because I'm basically scaling everything down by 5.5 (to achieve a 1-Gallon batch), I'll use 1/5 of a whole lemon's zest and add the Willamette and EK Goldings to the wort before the boil, and then the remaining EK Goldings during the boil at 30 and 15 min.

Thanks so much! I think I'll be brewing this the weekend of the 24th.
I would add the zest in the last couple minutes of the boil with the pepper, or at flame out.

Quick Reply