Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Cottage House Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #291
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Yeah I am all for the open fermentation, but ins't the point of it to usually introduce good wild bugs? I cant imagine that the inside of ANY fridge houses good bugs. You need a window at a farmhouse, and not downtown metropolis on garbage night.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #292
ArnooBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishersfirst
I'm going to have a bash at this recipe this weekend.
Being in Australia, I'm not sure I'll get hold of the Sorachi Ace, but might try Centennial instead.
I have this fermenting now.

I'm in Australia too, and couldn't get hold of Sorachi Ace. I subbed with Glacier. I'm sure Centennial would be fine too.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #293
Madlob75
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm about 2 weeks into fermentation, and the temp has been steady in the high 60's. I know it says to raise the temp to 78, but I don't have a way to do this. Will that make a huge difference? Any suggestions? When I first chose to brew this I didn't stress too much about it, but now am starting to worry about it.

Keg 1 - Hoppy Amber Ale
Keg 2 - Widmer Hefeweizen clone
Primary - Cottage House Saison

Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #294
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 37

bah, dont stress. The yeast strain is sensitive to temperature adjustments. Just like any other ale yeast, the lower temp it ferments at, the more subtle flavor the yeast will impart. The difference here is that a nice belgian beer has a good yeasty quality, and to get that a higher fermentation temperature is recommended. You wont get a bad beer. It'll still likey be great, just more of a clean and nuetral yeasty quality rather than a big bold spicy funk.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 12-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #295
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 53 Posts

I was also thinking about adding either some yarrow or rose hips to this recipe when I brew it. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #296
atri
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

This is my first crack at kegging. I'm hoping you see the pretty little bubbles.

http://youtu.be/lpEfPUxrJ6A
Beer tastes great! Wonderful lacing and the taste kinda reminds me of Chimay.

SG: 1064
FG: 1010

I scaled this recipe to 23 liters. Kegged most of it and bottled the remainder in 500ml swing tops for extra aging as I don't think the keg will be long for this world.

Will be brewing this again very soon.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #297
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by atri View Post
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

This is my first crack at kegging. I'm hoping you see the pretty little bubbles.

http://youtu.be/lpEfPUxrJ6A

Beer tastes great! Wonderful lacing and the taste kinda reminds me of Chimay.

SG: 1064
FG: 1010

I scaled this recipe to 23 liters. Kegged most of it and bottled the remainder in 500ml swing tops for extra aging as I don't think the keg will be long for this world.

Will be brewing this again very soon.
Looks great, I wanted to take a sip!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #298
Redhawk96
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi, I've been lurking on this site for quite awhile, and just recently joined to start posting. I made this recipe one month ago with a couple of tweaks. I used Centennials for the battering hops, and added some lemon zest with the pepper at the end of the boil. I also used Wyeast 565 instead of 3711. It has been slowly fermenting after the normal rapid start. I did not do the temp increase after two weeks either, as I have no way to do it currently (we keep the house at 66F).

I just took a sample to test for gravity, and it was at 1.018 (1.062 start). It also tasted great. I am trying to decide whether to put it into the kegs (10 gal batch) today, or give it another two weeks to work down the gravity. My gut is to keg it now, but I would be interested to get some opinions on whether the gravity will get down to 1.012 or so, and if that will improve the beer.

I look forward to participating more on the forums, this site is fantastic.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #299
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk96 View Post
Hi, I've been lurking on this site for quite awhile, and just recently joined to start posting. I made this recipe one month ago with a couple of tweaks. I used Centennials for the battering hops, and added some lemon zest with the pepper at the end of the boil. I also used Wyeast 565 instead of 3711. It has been slowly fermenting after the normal rapid start. I did not do the temp increase after two weeks either, as I have no way to do it currently (we keep the house at 66F).

I just took a sample to test for gravity, and it was at 1.018 (1.062 start). It also tasted great. I am trying to decide whether to put it into the kegs (10 gal batch) today, or give it another two weeks to work down the gravity. My gut is to keg it now, but I would be interested to get some opinions on whether the gravity will get down to 1.012 or so, and if that will improve the beer.

I look forward to participating more on the forums, this site is fantastic.
The WLP565 will probably drop the gravity down to 1.005 or lower, so I wouldn't keg it yet as its not near done, it just likes warmer temps to work faster, but it should chew it down to single digits...

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #300
Redhawk96
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I am going to give it some more time before kegging. That taste was excellent, I can't wait to get it on tap.

Quick Reply