Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Cottage House Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #281
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madlob75 View Post
I brewed this recipe yesterday, and even went out and got a bottle of Saison Dupont to enjoy during the process. For my second all-grain batch, I was pretty happy. Hit my OG dead on, but I had a little trouble with post-boil volume because I guess I didn't have a hard-enough rolling boil going throughout the boil. I ended up having to go a little longer to get it down to ~5.5G. Do you all think that will have a huge effect on the hops? I added time at the end before I added the honey and pepper, and ended up going about 20min longer.
You will get more bittering from the additions, but not so much as to greatly effect the beer, come times you just need to roll with the punches

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Madlob75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #282
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Came out absolutely phenomenal! Everyone kept saying it was the best saison they've ever had keg was tapped in 3 hours.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

azscoob Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #283
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Came out absolutely phenomenal! Everyone kept saying it was the best saison they've ever had keg was tapped in 3 hours.
This is why I now brew this one 10 gallons at a time!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #284
EdMerican
Angry Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Used this recipe as a base with T-58 and added 4 ounces of chamomile at 5 minutes left. Don't know how different the T-58 made it, but it turned out phenomenally. Started out about 68 degrees and slowly ramped up to 80 or so. Got down to 1.003 and did it quickly. This one will be in regular rotation.

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Old 11-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #285
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 53 Posts

Getting ready to brew this recipe, I just have one quick question. When using the orange blossom honey do you find that it adds any flavor over using regular honey, even though it pretty much ferments out completely? I was thinking about using this awesome kiwi honey from a farmer down the road from me. If the honey adds flavor, I think kiwi would pair great with the lemon and pepper notes. But if it doesn't add flavor I won't bother since the kiwi honey is more expensive.

Thanks for the recipe!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #286
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morticus View Post
Getting ready to brew this recipe, I just have one quick question. When using the orange blossom honey do you find that it adds any flavor over using regular honey, even though it pretty much ferments out completely? I was thinking about using this awesome kiwi honey from a farmer down the road from me. If the honey adds flavor, I think kiwi would pair great with the lemon and pepper notes. But if it doesn't add flavor I won't bother since the kiwi honey is more expensive.

Thanks for the recipe!
It is subtle that's for sure, I have brewed this with wildflower honey, mesquite honey, and orange blossom, there is a difference, but so subdued it is tough to pick up on, I might brew it with whatever is local and affordable and your next batch, maybe go for the kiwi honey.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #287
fishersfirst
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm going to have a bash at this recipe this weekend.
Being in Australia, I'm not sure I'll get hold of the Sorachi Ace, but might try Centennial instead.

Question on the fermentation..

Have you tried an open fermentation on this recipe?? I'm thinking of opening it up for a few days between when the Krauzen rises and the yeast drops.
What, if any, do you think this might add?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #288
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishersfirst View Post
I'm going to have a bash at this recipe this weekend.
Being in Australia, I'm not sure I'll get hold of the Sorachi Ace, but might try Centennial instead.

Question on the fermentation..

Have you tried an open fermentation on this recipe?? I'm thinking of opening it up for a few days between when the Krauzen rises and the yeast drops.
What, if any, do you think this might add?
You may introduce some natural wild bugs to the beer, that may over time sour the beer, could be a bad I fetched type flavor, could be a magical sour beer blend that develops over a few months, might be worth harvesting the yeast after that one... If it starts tasting fantastic you may have a nice wild blend to use in following beers, if it goes satans anus, the yeast could be tossed in the drain. Time will tell!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #289
fishersfirst
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob

You may introduce some natural wild bugs to the beer, that may over time sour the beer, could be a bad I fetched type flavor, could be a magical sour beer blend that develops over a few months, might be worth harvesting the yeast after that one... If it starts tasting fantastic you may have a nice wild blend to use in following beers, if it goes satans anus, the yeast could be tossed in the drain. Time will tell!
I'm planning to open it up in my fermentation fridge once its been sprayed put with Starsan.

Funny that Starsan is an anagram for Satan (r)

Though I've got a healthy interest in experimentation, I'd be looking to avoid satan's butthole pleasures for the time being!

Don't think I've been as excited about a brew weekend as this one in a while!!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #290
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It would be a shame (downright alcohol abuse) to ruin a great beer intentionally or by being careless. Performing an open fermentation after peak krausen in a ferm fridge exposes the beer to bacteria and wild yeasts ("bugs") even if the surfaces have been pre sanitized. As mentioned, these bugs could add wonderful complexity, acidity, sourness, etc. to a beer, or they could completely ruin it a la satan's anus infection (btw - that's a great description).

Many people leave small batches of wort out in differenct places around their house or property to see what type of bugs they have in different areas. They can then determine where satan's anus is hiding and where promising bugs reside. Different outside temperatues, times of the year, weather patterns, etc. affect the type of microflora in a particular area. In addition, if a lactobacillus or brettanomyces strain did end up in your beer, these bugs typically benefit from extended aging, so make sure you're equipped for that if needed.

I'm no expert on wild fermentation, but I have read a few articles and listened to several podcasts about the topic (basic brewing did a show with the brewer from Allagash). There's some good info in the Lambic & Wild Brewing section of this site as well if you're curious to learn more. I don't mean to burst your excitement or deter you from experimenting, just trying to set you up for success. Good luck! I hope this helps.

Quick Reply