Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Cottage House Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #231
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob

I haven't used an airlock in I can't remember how long, I use a blowoff tube for fermentation, then swap it out for an S style airlock when crash cooling, it bubbles backwards so no suck back into the fermenter, nothing like having a half gallon of blowoff water sucked back into the carboy to remind you to swap over to the bubbler
I basically do the same thing. I suspect the other poster was relying on airlock activity to gauge fermentation.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #232
bigherrm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Boiled up this recipe a couple of weeks ago and I have a couple questions. First off, I followed the recipe except I used Czech Saaz in place of the Fuggle (LHBS didn't have whole Fuggle) and I added a bit of fresh rosemary the last 5 minutes of the boil. OG was 1.056. Pittched at 72 degrees. It's been firmenting at 70 degrees for the last two weeks. I had a bit of blow off the first couple of days and it was steady firmentation the week after that. I'm still getting a pretty steady firmentation and wondered if anyone else has had this same thing happen.

The last beer I made was also a saison and did not take as long to ferment. I'm wondering if it's the honey in this receipt or perhaps since it's a different type of yeast.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #233
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigherrm View Post
Boiled up this recipe a couple of weeks ago and I have a couple questions. First off, I followed the recipe except I used Czech Saaz in place of the Fuggle (LHBS didn't have whole Fuggle) and I added a bit of fresh rosemary the last 5 minutes of the boil. OG was 1.056. Pittched at 72 degrees. It's been firmenting at 70 degrees for the last two weeks. I had a bit of blow off the first couple of days and it was steady firmentation the week after that. I'm still getting a pretty steady firmentation and wondered if anyone else has had this same thing happen.

The last beer I made was also a saison and did not take as long to ferment. I'm wondering if it's the honey in this receipt or perhaps since it's a different type of yeast.

Any thoughts?
Take a gravity reading and see where it's at, I have often had this beer ferment out really fast, but bubble seemingly forever because of absorbed co2 from the fermentation process, the only sure way to know its done is to check the gravity with your hydrometer over a few days, when it's dead stable, it's done

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #234
BrewLou
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
The blow off valve, or airlock, are not the best measures of fermentation activity. Just give the yeast some time to do their job, then check the gravity. It sounds like your beer is well on its way. Cheers!
Oh I agree totally. I always keep an eye on the gravity, but I try to use the airlocks/blow off valves to get a rough idea.

Put this one into the 2ndary Sat afternoon. Gravity was an outstanding 1.005. Giving this another couple of weeks in the 2ndary to try and get those final couple of points to 1.003!

Tasted it again and it is NICE already. I was worried about all of the hops going into this, but so far everything is playing great together.

Going to bottle 12 in a couple of weeks and toss the rest in a keg! I need to have some people over to finish off either a watermelon wheat or my octopumpkinfest to free up keg room.

Primary 1 & 2: Hazelnut Brown Ale
2ndary 1: Empty
2ndary 2: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Coffee Porter & Pumpkin Porter

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #235
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewLou View Post
Oh I agree totally. I always keep an eye on the gravity, but I try to use the airlocks/blow off valves to get a rough idea.

Put this one into the 2ndary Sat afternoon. Gravity was an outstanding 1.005. Giving this another couple of weeks in the 2ndary to try and get those final couple of points to 1.003!

Tasted it again and it is NICE already. I was worried about all of the hops going into this, but so far everything is playing great together.

Going to bottle 12 in a couple of weeks and toss the rest in a keg! I need to have some people over to finish off either a watermelon wheat or my octopumpkinfest to free up keg room.
This makes me happy, one of my recipes is well received, and often brewed!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #236
Mckenzie
Recipes 

You definitely have a solid saison here azscoob. I've been drinking it for a couple weeks now(bottle conditioned), SO GOOD! Mine has a apple cider/black cherry flavor to it, really different than anything I've ever had, store bought or homebrewed. Can't wait to bottle the other half of the batch that fermented with the belgian saison yeast.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #237
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckenzie View Post
You definitely have a solid saison here azscoob. I've been drinking it for a couple weeks now(bottle conditioned), SO GOOD! Mine has a apple cider/black cherry flavor to it, really different than anything I've ever had, store bought or homebrewed. Can't wait to bottle the other half of the batch that fermented with the belgian saison yeast.
Glad you like it! This was a recipe designed with the mindset of what would a farmer make, would he add countless spices, herbs, special candi sugars, and a dozen different malts? Or would he use what was on hand to brew a beer for himself and his workers while out in the fields working the land? I thought it would be something simple yet well rounded, simple is sometimes the right way to go.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #238
BrewLou
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Glad you like it! This was a recipe designed with the mindset of what would a farmer make, would he add countless spices, herbs, special candi sugars, and a dozen different malts? Or would he use what was on hand to brew a beer for himself and his workers while out in the fields working the land? I thought it would be something simple yet well rounded, simple is sometimes the right way to go.
I agree totally. My only comment on the above is that if a farmer gave his workers this, they might not get much work done lol. As high an ABV as mine will be, a few of these would not be condusive to working hard!

So far though thank you for an amazing recipe!

Edit: Checked gravity this am and it is all the way down to 1.003 holy cow! This might be going into the keg Sat/Sun if I have time to get it done! Didnt expect it to drop that quick after moving it over.

Primary 1 & 2: Hazelnut Brown Ale
2ndary 1: Empty
2ndary 2: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Coffee Porter & Pumpkin Porter

Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #239
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewLou

I agree totally. My only comment on the above is that if a farmer gave his workers this, they might not get much work done lol. As high an ABV as mine will be, a few of these would not be condusive to working hard!

So far though thank you for an amazing recipe!

Edit: Checked gravity this am and it is all the way down to 1.003 holy cow! This might be going into the keg Sat/Sun if I have time to get it done! Didnt expect it to drop that quick after moving it over.
Going to brew tomorrow. This looks to be an amazing brew. No sorachi - I have either citra or nelson sauvin - any thoughts?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #240
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbr2547

Going to brew tomorrow. This looks to be an amazing brew. No sorachi - I have either citra or nelson sauvin - any thoughts?
Azcoob -any thoughts on either

Quick Reply