Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Cottage House Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #101
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Glad you like it! One of the best parts about this recipe is it isn't overly complicated, less stuff to muddy the flavour

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #102
enrybwerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am a 95% new brewer, and will be trying out this recipe this weekend for my first brew. (I say 95% new because I've been doing a lot of reading up and watching videos about the brewing process, and have attended several brew days with some co-worker's friends).

Anyways, based on the previous conversations in this thread, I am going to try and use EKG instead of Fuggle, if available at local home brew supplier. Will use Willamette + lemon zest if Sorachi is not available.

Seeing that this thread is almost a full year old and I am still very new to home brewing, do any of you have any other suggestions for the recipe? Or things you wish you would have done earlier or later in the brew?

Thanks in advance, and hopefully I'll be back with a success story soon!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #103
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrybwerd
I am a 95% new brewer, and will be trying out this recipe this weekend for my first brew. (I say 95% new because I've been doing a lot of reading up and watching videos about the brewing process, and have attended several brew days with some co-worker's friends).

Anyways, based on the previous conversations in this thread, I am going to try and use EKG instead of Fuggle, if available at local home brew supplier. Will use Willamette + lemon zest if Sorachi is not available.

Seeing that this thread is almost a full year old and I am still very new to home brewing, do any of you have any other suggestions for the recipe? Or things you wish you would have done earlier or later in the brew?

Thanks in advance, and hopefully I'll be back with a success story soon!
Looking back on this recipe I recall I was clearing out some hops, and that was why I used giggle. I do prefer EKG in most of my English ales, so I agree on the substitution there.

If you have questions on the details feel free to PM me. I check in often.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #104
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrybwerd View Post
I've not yet brewed this beer, yet. I have been stalking this thread and will hopefully brew this in the next few months. I've also not used this yeast before, so my comment is more general.

This is a big beer, especially for your first brew. Although others have stated they didn't use a starter, the OP did use a starter, and in general, I would advise the use of a starter for a beer with this OG. Check out a yeast pitching calculator like mrmalty.com. Perhaps others who have brewed this can chime in on their yeast starter decision?

You certainly picked what seems like an awesome beer for your brew. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #105
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man

I've not yet brewed this beer, yet. I have been stalking this thread and will hopefully brew this in the next few months. I've also not used this yeast before, so my comment is more general.

This is a big beer, especially for your first brew. Although others have stated they didn't use a starter, the OP did use a starter, and in general, I would advise the use of a starter for a beer with this OG. Check out a yeast pitching calculator like mrmalty.com. Perhaps others who have brewed this can chime in on their yeast starter decision?

You certainly picked what seems like an awesome beer for your brew. Good luck.
If making a starter is a bit out of your league, spend the money and buy two packs of the yeast and pitch both.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #106
enrybwerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Rather than quote all responses from yesterday, I'll just send a quick reply.

I had to change out a few ingredients, which led me to have some more questions.

Here's what is different:

1. Simpsons Golden Promise instead of Pilsner Malt (2-row).
2. Willamette instead of Sorachi Ace (which was ok based on earlier discussion in this thread. Just wondering how and when to do the lemon zest?)
3. WLP565 Saison Ale Yeast instead of WYeast 3711 PC French Saison.

As far as my questions,
1. What difference will this new yeast and/or Golden Promise make?
2. As stated above, how and when do I add the lemon zest? I thought I remembered someone saying at the beginning of the boil, but then also thought it could be added at the same time as the honey and pepper.

Other than that, I still have to pick up the honey but am all set to brew this tomorrow!

---

For future reference, and proof of my still being new to this, what is the difference between making a starter and pitching a pack of yeast?

Old 06-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #107
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The main purpose of the starter is to increase the number of yeast cells. As you'll see in the yeast calculator I referenced earlier, one vial of yeast is probably not enough to finish this beer. Especially for a Saison, which is on the drier side, lower FG. There are good tutorials for making a starter on this forum, and some video instructions on YouTube. In my experience, having the proper number of yeast is vital to your finished beer and 1.080 is a lot of sugar for the yeast to convert into alcohol. The yeast make beer, the brewer's job is to make wort and keep the yeast happy.

Pitching means to add yeast. So, if you're pitching a vial, you're adding the vial directly to the wort, no starter, no extra yeast cells.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #108
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Add the zest with the honey and pepper.

the reason I chose the 3711 yeast is because it is a beast of a yeast that will ferment almost anything at almost any temp, some other saison yeasts can be temperamental in regards to temp and need to be in the 80s or higher to ferment fully.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #109
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also the golden promise is a bit more biscuity and bready than pils malt. I have used plain 2-row and haven't noticed much difference so you should be fine there

Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #110
enrybwerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Add the zest with the honey and pepper.

the reason I chose the 3711 yeast is because it is a beast of a yeast that will ferment almost anything at almost any temp, some other saison yeasts can be temperamental in regards to temp and need to be in the 80s or higher to ferment fully.
Any way to tell if I am running into a temperamental saison or not? And would pitching two vials help lower the temperature for fermenting fully, or is it more dependent on the type of yeast than the quantity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
The main purpose of the starter is to increase the number of yeast cells. As you'll see in the yeast calculator I referenced earlier, one vial of yeast is probably not enough to finish this beer. Especially for a Saison, which is on the drier side, lower FG. There are good tutorials for making a starter on this forum, and some video instructions on YouTube. In my experience, having the proper number of yeast is vital to your finished beer and 1.080 is a lot of sugar for the yeast to convert into alcohol. The yeast make beer, the brewer's job is to make wort and keep the yeast happy.

Pitching means to add yeast. So, if you're pitching a vial, you're adding the vial directly to the wort, no starter, no extra yeast cells.
Thanks for this reply - it was more useful than you may think.
I will take a closer look at the calculator and probably go pick up another vial of yeast.

Quick Reply