Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Coffee Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i'm wondering how efficient the use of whole beans is. the outside of a bean is pretty hard, kilned and dried; so low permeability. one of the reasons you grind coffee beans is to expose the porous, softer insides.
A couple other brewers I know who used the whole bean approach swear by it. They make great beer, so I'll take their word for it.

Quote:
great thing about cold-steeping (cold-brewing) is that you can control the flavor. put some in the bottling bucket, mix very gently, taste a sample, add more if desired. obviously you need to be very sanitary about the whole process.
When bottling I don't like fussing with anything other than the bottling. I'm a stickler for sanitation, but the longer I take, and the more I sample the beer, the more the more paranoid about contamination and oxidation I become. If I were kegging I wouldn't worry as much, but I'm not quite set up for that yet.

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I'm looking to make this soon, possibly in a month or two, might be a couple others a head of it. So far it doesn't look like any changes to the original recipe except to use whole beans instead of grinding, is that the case?

The only change I think I'll make is to use WLP566, I have yet to use 3711, and want to, but so far I've been very happy with what 566 does in Saisons and I have some washed and ready. Good mouthfeel, somewhat dry but no overly, good amount of esters and spice as well as "belgian funk."

Old 06-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #13
TheCanisDirus
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
I'm looking to make this soon, possibly in a month or two, might be a couple others a head of it. So far it doesn't look like any changes to the original recipe except to use whole beans instead of grinding, is that the case?

The only change I think I'll make is to use WLP566, I have yet to use 3711, and want to, but so far I've been very happy with what 566 does in Saisons and I have some washed and ready. Good mouthfeel, somewhat dry but no overly, good amount of esters and spice as well as "belgian funk."
I do all my black Saisons (save for one) with 3711. It really works well with a lot of roasty grain. 3711 with chocolate malt and roasted barley and very course grind coffee dry hop... mmm mmmmm.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #14
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post

I say buy a mesh hop bag and coarsely crush the beans. I still haven't gotten around to trying the whole bean technique, but since I last brewed this I've purchased a nylon hop bag that would probably hold everything just fine.

3711 is great because it's perfectly happy fermenting at room-ish temperatures. It's not as fruity as other strains. The most important part is to find a coffee that will play well with the beer. I knew what 3711 (and the grains, and the hops) brought to the table and chose my coffee based on how I thought it would interact.

On-Deck:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #15
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Just wondering, have either of you used 566? It doesn't seem very commonly used and is a seasonal strain as I understand it so it may be more difficult to find. It seems to have a lot of the qualities of 3711, I've never ad it stall at 65-72ish temps, not very fruity and not overly spicy, has always finished within a week for me.

I have no problems getting and using 3711, hopefully I can get luck and my LHBS will have it in stock, their Wyeast stock varies so I never know what they'll have. If I have to I'll order online. But, I'm really curious to hear some comparisons from those who have used 3711 and 566 to see what differences they feel there is.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #16
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sorry, never used 566. Give it a go and let us know how it tastes!

On-Deck:

Quick Reply