Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Citrus - Peach Witbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYerMouth View Post
MIne turned out way to citrusy...I would cut down the zest alot... Because of my high mash it also didnt attenuate all the way and I ended up with a 3.9% beer....Not overly fond of it but its drinkable...
Sorry to hear that man. It is pretty easy to get too much citrus zest character, especially depending on the size of the citrus used. I probably should have been more cautionary with my directions. It might be a good idea to go with 1/2 the total amount of zest that I originally used and see how it does, what works for me might not work for everyone. Also, adding too much fruit will dry the beer out quite a bit. The key to this beer is balance, you don't want too much of one flavor.

I should brew this up again. It's been a while, though my last batch scored a 38 in a local beer comp, this time under specialty beers. I'm pretty happy with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
surfnturf
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just racked onto 2 lbs of frozen peaches after a week in primary. i used t58 dry yeast I had on hand. The sample was surprisingly good. Does this really need 3 wks in secondary? I'm hoping to free up the fermentor a bit sooner than that.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #13
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnturf View Post
I just racked onto 2 lbs of frozen peaches after a week in primary. i used t58 dry yeast I had on hand. The sample was surprisingly good. Does this really need 3 wks in secondary? I'm hoping to free up the fermentor a bit sooner than that.
One week in the primary is not enough time, usually. I'd really have given it at least two weeks in the primary on the yeast and another week in secondary with the peaches at a minimum. So after fermenting for a week, did you rack the beer off the yeast cake or just added the peaches to the primary?

Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
surfnturf
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

DOH! just realized I reversed the recipe ferment timeline. Oh well. I racked into a clean secondary buti likely grabbed a bunch of yeast as it was still in suspension. I'm sure it will be drinkable. BTW I used zest of 2 lemons 1 lime and 1 grapefruit and found it perfectly citrusy. I did skip the mace bc I was not sure about what it would do. Thanks for the input!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
daugenet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am getting ready to make a batch of this. I geared up to just make half of a batch. This beer sounds mighty tasty!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
daugenet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Getting ready to mash in soon. Hope it turns out good! Forgot to get an orage but hopefully my friend can get me one on his way home.

Quick Reply