Saison Boulevard Smokestack Series Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up brewing a variation of this recipe over the weekend. I am limited on 10 gallons for mash volume and brewed 10 gallons with this recipe. 25.5 lbs of grain is pretty much max capacity. Was thinking about adding corn sugar, but forgot about it. 1.065 OG

19 lbs breiss 2-row 74%
5.5 flaked maize 22%
1 lbs white wheat 4%
7 g CACL 5g Gypsum in mash
1tsp lactic acid 88% per 8 gallons of sparge water

Mashed at 154 for over 60 minutes or so getting stuff ready.
Possibly could have used my sous vide to step up water temperatures, but I don't have a pump system.
How necessary is the step mash with flaked corn anyways?

1.25 oz CTZ 60 minutes 28 ibu
1 oz simcoe 10 minutes 7.5 ibu
2 oz amarillo 5 minutes 5 ibu
2 oz amarillo 40 minute hopstand

Probably dry hopping with a 1-2 oz per gallon amarillo.

Splitting my batch with Omega American farmhouse and Wyeast 3724. I made starters for both, but may set some aside for saving those yeast cultures.

Still debating ferment temps, but its about 65 right now and I am bout to oxygenate and pitch. Probably will let it free rise in steps the next few days or so.

Should have read the thread before making it, but my ingredients were pretty much decided already. Will see if CTZ is overkill. Didn't see magnum in my freezer at the time.

Can you comment how the yeasts turned out? Ive been considering making this with the American Saison yeast.

I’ve made this with 3724, 565, and 566. I’m making this Sat and splitting with 4 different yeasts. My favorite version is 565. Will post my findings as 2 of the yeasts I’ve never used.

Just tasted 5 day gravity readings. 565, Bootleg Saison Parfait, and Saisonstein’s Monster. All are fantastic, but I think I like Bootlegs best so far. Gravity is at 1.010 for all 3 of them. None are like Tank 7 yeast. It think they use something other than a “Saison” yeast.

Last edited:
Just tasted 5 day gravity readings. 565, Bootleg Saison Parfait, and Saisonstein’s Monster. All are fantastic, but I think I like Bootlegs best so far. Gravity is at 1.010 for all 3 of them. None are like Tank 7 yeast. It think they use something other than a “Saison” yeast.

Thanks for the follow up. I'll be curious of your impressions once they all finish out.

Latest posts

Back