Saison Boulevard Smokestack Series Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ZooKeeper said:
Tank 7 has brett in it?!?!

I racked mine to secondary today, it has been 22 days since I brewed it, and it has way more Brett character than I expected after this short of time, so I added the dry hops and will bottle or keg this weekend. Thinking I may bottle condition this one.

Also, I changed my mind on the dry hops and did 1oz Amarillo and 1oz Sorachi Ace. I know it's not what's in Tank 7, but that's why they call it homebrew!

Here's what it looked like when I racked tonight.

ForumRunner_20120305_212912.jpg

I would really like to brew this, but I want to use a clean strain.. no Brett. I use 3711 for all of my Saison, but I'm concerned that it will finish it out too low. Boulevard lists the FG as 2.5 Plato which is about 1.010. Wondering if WLP 400 would be a good yeast?

Holy Simcoe. I just opened my first bottle of this and it is completely undrinkable. It tastes overwhelmingly like cat piss. I really hope the astringency will fad over some aging, but as it is now I couldn't even finish a glass.

Trubbador said:
Holy Simcoe. I just opened my first bottle of this and it is completely undrinkable. It tastes overwhelmingly like cat piss. I really hope the astringency will fad over some aging, but as it is now I couldn't even finish a glass.

Really? As I stated a few posts back, I doubled my Simcoe addition, and I thought it was perfect. Give it some time, it will mellow out.

I would really like to brew this, but I want to use a clean strain.. no Brett. I use 3711 for all of my Saison, but I'm concerned that it will finish it out too low. Boulevard lists the FG as 2.5 Plato which is about 1.010. Wondering if WLP 400 would be a good yeast?

I would just mash at a higher temperature. I don't think you'll get very close to the beer if you don't use a Saison yeast. You can make a good beer without a Saison yeast, don't get me wrong, but it will be different than Tank 7. Also I have a hard time believing the FG given. Especially for the Brett version, there's just no way that a Brett version is going to stop at 1.020. I haven't had this beer for a year or so, but it is not at 1.020. That much sweetness would be very noticeable in a Saison.

I'd just use your 3711 and let it do it's thing. Stop it when it's under 1.010 or wherever you'd like it to finish by cold crashing it.

I thinking of making this with 3711 instead of 670 since tank 7 has no Brett in it. What do you all think?

Fastmetal said:
I thinking of making this with 3711 instead of 670 since tank 7 has no Brett in it. What do you all think?

You're fine. For some reason this thread got sidetracked on the Saison Brett from Boulevard. Look at the beginning of the thread and you'll get some yeast suggestions. You'll be fine using the yeast you suggested. The trick will be re: fermentation temperatures ...that will likely be the shape of the flavor profile.

Cheers

brewhappy said:
I would just mash at a higher temperature. I don't think you'll get very close to the beer if you don't use a Saison yeast. You can make a good beer without a Saison yeast, don't get me wrong, but it will be different than Tank 7. Also I have a hard time believing the FG given. Especially for the Brett version, there's just no way that a Brett version is going to stop at 1.020. I haven't had this beer for a year or so, but it is not at 1.020. That much sweetness would be very noticeable in a Saison.

I'd just use your 3711 and let it do it's thing. Stop it when it's under 1.010 or wherever you'd like it to finish by cold crashing it.

Mine finished at 1.010 w/ the Brett in it

Mine finished at 1.010 w/ the Brett in it

How long did you age/condition it? Brett takes a good 4-6 months to develop the funky flavors, and it will keep developing (and lowering the gravity) until it gets to about 1.003.

I haven't used the 670 so I'm not sure what the ratio is in the vial. That's one of the problems with the mixes is that yo don't really know what your getting and you have less control of when you add your yeasties and/or bacteria.

brewhappy said:
How long did you age/condition it? Brett takes a good 4-6 months to develop the funky flavors, and it will keep developing (and lowering the gravity) until it gets to about 1.003.

I haven't used the 670 so I'm not sure what the ratio is in the vial. That's one of the problems with the mixes is that yo don't really know what your getting and you have less control of when you add your yeasties and/or bacteria.

I bottled after 5 weeks. It had noticeable Brett, but that's all I wanted, I didn't want it to get too funky. I kept tasting and when it was where I wanted, I bottled. FYI, I've heard the ratio in the WLP670 is 95/5 Sacch to Brett

I have read the thread and saw the interest for an extract version. Has anyone came up with a extract version yet and if so could you post. The making of a Tank 7 clone will really help talking the wife into advancing to a kegging system! Please help my fellow brewers.

PintoBean said:
I'd suggest using 25% wheat DME and 75% extra pale DME for an extract version. Steep the corn and flaked wheat.

I might suggest mashing the flaked grains. Flaked grains need to be mashed for conversion.

kcpup said:
I might suggest mashing the flaked grains. Flaked grains need to be mashed for conversion.

Yeah, what he said. My bad. I tend to use the words interchangeably and shouldn't.

So you should throw a pound of 2-row in with the flaked grains for conversion.

Thanks for both of your help. Now this may sound like a dumb? What do you mean by mashed? I have done extract + grain and steeped the grains but never "mashed".

Anyone have any updates for the recipe posted in the first post in this thread? I'm thinking about giving it a shot but would like to know how it turned out.

Mbay said:
Thanks for both of your help. Now this may sound like a dumb? What do you mean by mashed? I have done extract + grain and steeped the grains but never "mashed".

If you use the 0.66 lbs flaked wheat and 0.66 lbs flaked maize, you'll need to add ~1.33 lbs of base malt (2-row, pale, etc) to have enough enzymes to convert the starches in the flaked grains. Mash it all around 150°F for this beer for 45-60 min.

JSGT09 said:
Anyone have any updates for the recipe posted in the first post in this thread? I'm thinking about giving it a shot but would like to know how it turned out.

The recipe I posted at the bottom of the 4th page of this thread (below, but modified to reflect how I ended up brewing it) won first in my clubs competition for the Chicago Lagunitas challenge, but was later disqualified because the rules said it had to use American yeast. Anyway, mine is different than the one in the original post. I used double the Simcoe, and dry hopped with Amarillo and Sorachi Ace.

64% Pale (I used Maris Otter), 28% Wheat, 4% Flaked Maize, 4% Flaked Wheat. Bittered with 19 IBU's of Magnum @ 60 min, 24 IBU's of Simcoe @ 20 min, and 6 IBU's of Amarillo @ 5 min. Pitched a starter of WLP670. OG was 1.074. Dry hopped with 1oz Amarillo and 1oz Sorachi Ace for 7 days. FG was 1.011 at bottling.

Thanks for the update on your modified recipe, looks like you used slightly more hops than the original post but otherwise very similar. Sounds like it must have been a good one if you won first place, regardless of your disqualification! Were you happy with it?

JSGT09 said:
Thanks for the update on your modified recipe, looks like you used slightly more hops than the original post but otherwise very similar. Sounds like it must have been a good one if you won first place, regardless of your disqualification! Were you happy with it?

Definitely, one of my favorites brewed to date. It's really drinkable, almost too drinkable for 8.2%. Would go down way too easy on a hot summer day. The Sorachi Ace dry hops added this great lemony, citrusy flavor and aroma that wasn't present before I added them.

so in lieu of trying to get more complicated, i went with the ahs new belgium saison recipe and added 1 lb of clear candi with 5 minutes left on the boil to boost the abv but not darken the beer. i put it through the primary, the secondary, cold crashed it for 3 days in the low 40*s and kegged it with 12 oz of "simply grapefruit" juice. it is outstanding.

captained said:
so in lieu of trying to get more complicated, i went with the ahs new belgium saison recipe and added 1 lb of clear candi with 5 minutes left on the boil to boost the abv but not darken the beer. i put it through the primary, the secondary, cold crashed it for 3 days in the low 40*s and kegged it with 12 oz of "simply grapefruit" juice. it is outstanding.

Interesting, did you use the grapefruit juice to prime it, or for flavor and then force carb?

Farmhouse ale

Style: Saison
Type: All Grain Calories: 277
Rating: 0.0 Efficiency: 77 %
IBU's: 32.86 Boil Size: 5.88 Gal
Color: 6.8 SRM Batch Size: 5.30 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 02/25/2012
OG: 1.085 1.078
FG: 1.019 1.010
ABV: 8.65 % 8.91 %
Serve Date: 04/11/2012 / /

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 14 days @ 67.0°F 02/25/2012 02/25/2012
Primary 14 days @ 67.0°F 03/10/2012 02/25/2012
Secondary 14 days @ 78.0°F 03/10/2012 03/10/2012
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0°F 03/24/2012 03/28/2012

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
10.50 lbs 63.64 % Briess 2-Row Pale Ale Malt 60 mins 1.037
5.00 lbs 30.30 % Wheat Malt, Bel 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 6.06 % Corn, Flaked 60 mins 1.037

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.33 ozs 16.85 Magnum 60 mins 20.50
0.57 ozs 10.49 Simcoe 20 mins 12.20
0.55 ozs 5.51 Centennial 15 mins 8.10
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold 14 days 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Belgian Saison Wyeast Labs 3724

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 154.0°F
Add 20.62 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 166.0°F

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
3.95 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 72.0°F 2.20

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 1.471

Sent from my iPad

image-1406475043.jpg

Popped the top on my first bottle last night. Very good. It finished a bit more bitter than I was expecting but is very drinkable. This one isn't going to last very long.

The recipe I posted at the bottom of the 4th page of this thread (below, but modified to reflect how I ended up brewing it) won first in my clubs competition for the Chicago Lagunitas challenge, but was later disqualified because the rules said it had to use American yeast. Anyway, mine is different than the one in the original post. I used double the Simcoe, and dry hopped with Amarillo and Sorachi Ace.

64% Pale (I used Maris Otter), 28% Wheat, 4% Flaked Maize, 4% Flaked Wheat. Bittered with 19 IBU's of Magnum @ 60 min, 24 IBU's of Simcoe @ 20 min, and 6 IBU's of Amarillo @ 5 min. Pitched a starter of WLP670. OG was 1.074. Dry hopped with 1oz Amarillo and 1oz Sorachi Ace for 7 days. FG was 1.011 at bottling.

I just put something very similar in primary, the 670 is my first adventure with Brett, and I'm probably not going to wait 3 months to bottle this sucker, I imagine I'll bottle in 4-6 weeks like you did PintoBean.

Question though, if you do what you did.. bottle something with active Brett at 1.011 .. are you asking for bottle bombs if that stuff sits for more than a couple of weeks? Should I cut down on the corn sugar and aim for 1.5 volumes at bottling if my FG is still 1.005-1.010? Just not sure how best to handle the yeast combo.

double_d_tx said:
I just put something very similar in primary, the 670 is my first adventure with Brett, and I'm probably not going to wait 3 months to bottle this sucker, I imagine I'll bottle in 4-6 weeks like you did PintoBean.

Question though, if you do what you did.. bottle something with active Brett at 1.011 .. are you asking for bottle bombs if that stuff sits for more than a couple of weeks? Should I cut down on the corn sugar and aim for 1.5 volumes at bottling if my FG is still 1.005-1.010? Just not sure how best to handle the yeast combo.

Yeah, I would, unless you can chill them all down after they've properly carbed. I only bottled a gallon of mine and kegged the other five. The bottles were gone quick enough that I didn't have to worry about bombs.

Interesting, did you use the grapefruit juice to prime it, or for flavor and then force carb?

just for flavor then force carbed, but only at about 20 psi for a day before turning it back to 7 psi where i serve it. it did dawn on me that it may create a bit of natural carbonation as well.

captained said:
just for flavor then force carbed, but only at about 20 psi for a day before turning it back to 7 psi where i serve it. it did dawn on me that it may create a bit of natural carbonation as well.

Cool. As long as you have it chilled, you shouldn't ferment out the grapefruit juice.

Any updates on the final product? What's everyone been doing for a mash temp, 148? I'm curious about the different results from the different base malts/yeasts everyone is using.

spenghali said:
Any updates on the final product? What's everyone been doing for a mash temp, 148? I'm curious about the different results from the different base malts/yeasts everyone is using.

I posted my results a page back. And yeah, keep the mash in the 148-150 range, otherwise it won't dry out enough.

ZooKeeper said:
I plan on using WY1762 (Belgian Abbey II)

I'm sure it will be a good beer regardless of the yeast you choose, but if you're going for a Saison, that yeast will leave you quite a bit sweet in comparison to 3711 or WLP670.

PintoBean said:
I'm sure it will be a good beer regardless of the yeast you choose, but if you're going for a Saison, that yeast will leave you quite a bit sweet in comparison to 3711 or WLP670.

You could also use WLP565,566,or 568. All are Saison yeasts.

EXTRACT GUYS: Going to the supply store today to get the ingredients for an extract version. I will post later, wish me luck!

After much research and converting and then adapting to what was in stock at the brew store I have finally brewed a EXRACT Tank 7 Clone. Hope it comes out!
Farmhouse ale

Style: Saison
Type: Extract
Boil Size: 5 Gal
Batch Size: 5 Gal
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 05/10/2012
OG: 1.084 70deg.
FG:?
ABV: ? %
Serve Date: ?/?/2012

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 14 days @ 74.0°F 05/10/2012 05/24/2012
Secondary 14 days @ ?°F 05/24/2012 06/07/2012
Secondary DRY HOP 5 days @ ?°F 06/07/2012 06/12/2012
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ ?°F 06/12/2012 06/17/2012

Grains & Adjuncts
0.66 lbs Wheat Flake steeped in 2gals H20 30min. Add 1 gal H20
6.00 lbs 63.64 % Briess DME Golden Light 60 mins 1.037
3.00 lbs 30.30 % Briess DME Bavarian Wheat 60 mins 1.037

Hops
0.35 ozs (10g) Magnum 60 mins
0.50 ozs (14g) Nugget 20 mins
0.50 ozs (14g) Centennial 15 mins
1.00 ozs Amarillo 5 days

Yeasts
2.0 pkg French Saison Wyeast Labs 3711

Additions
(none)

Comments: After racking to the carboy the color was a darker, more caramel colored than expected. We’ll see how it clears up!

Saison

Style: Saison OG: 1.080
Type: All Grain FG: 1.018
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 8.12 %
Calories: 260 IBU's: 43.03
Efficiency: 75 % Boil Size: 7.49 Gal
Color:*** 5.1 SRM** Batch Size: 5.25 Gal
Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 10 days @ 80.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 2 days @ 74.0°F
Grains & Adjuncts
3.40 lbs 20.00 % Corn, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
11.90 lbs 70.00 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
1.70 lbs 10.00 % Wheat Malt, Bel 60 mins 1.037
Hops
0.70 ozs 29.01 Magnum 60 mins 14.00
0.55 ozs 12.82 Simcoe 20 mins 13.00
0.25 ozs 1.20 Simcoe 3 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold 5 days 8.50
Yeasts
1.0 pkg Belgian Saison Wyeast Labs 3724

There's mine. 10 days in and she's still blowing bubbles.. I mashed at 152. Probably should have mashed lower, but oh well.

Hi, I wrote the original post for the recipe but haven't had time to try it again to make the final modifications after the first tasting. Glad to hear everyone is giving it a try. I haven't been on this website for a long time but happy to hear that it has turned out well for most people. Mine was close but not exact so I may try this one again this year with some suggestions from other posts. I did my original recipe from scratch so I knew it would be very tough to get an identical finish. But looks like some of you have done the leg work to get it even closer. Appreciate the help and I may just have to give it a 2nd. try with the addition of the hop suggestions. At 12 bucks a 4 pack, I can't afford to buy the original all the time

I've moved onto new clones.
Did a split 15.5 gallon batch of cloned St. Arnold's Lawnmower and St. Arnold's Weedwacker. We'll see in a couple weeks how it turns out.
Just finished off the orange kolsch, spotted cow clone, and blue moon clone kegs. Time to move onto a new challenge!

Latest posts

Back