Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Boulevard Smokestack Series Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #141
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Whipping up a 2L starter as I write. 5.5 gallon batch at 1.077, yeastcalc says I need about 290 cells which equals a 2L starter. Doing this in a 2L Erlenmeyer flask on my stir plate. I've never gone over about 1.6 L starter in the 2L flask, I hope it doesn't overflow.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #142
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Coming along but slow with the 3724. Been fermenting for over 2 weeks and for the last week I've had it ramped to 90+ degrees. Still an occasional bubble in the airlock but I checked the SG today and it is only at 1.040. Was hoping it would be done by now since I'm keeping it at warm temps. The Krauzen has dropped and it's a beautiful color but still needs to ferment a lot more. Will give it a couple more weeks at 90 degrees and if not done then I plan on making a small starter with 3711 and pitching it at high Krauzen to finish it off. Smelling great, getting lots of crazy orange, coriander, spicy smells and taste. Hard to believe there's no spices or anything in here, it's just the yeast making the taste.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #143
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wskee
+1 for the starter

This was my first brew with 3724. I was able to move mine up to 85° after a 3-4 days in the high 60's and even bumped it to low-mid 90's after a couple weeks for 4-5 days then back to 85°. It finished, but it took close to a month to ferment then I dry hopped. I just bottled it a few days ago and the sample tasted pretty good. Fingers crossed!

I don't think I would add any heat when dry hopping. I thought it was best to leave it at room temp but someone with more experience may be able to answer that better.

Note:I did not make a starter as this was a last minute brew and I used 1 smack pack. The guy @ the brew shop talked me out of using two...
Have you taste a bottle yet or being patient?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #144
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A day after checking the SG, and swirling the fermenter the airlock is more active now, she's still going...

Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #145
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu
A day after checking the SG, and swirling the fermenter the airlock is more active now, she's still going...
Typical dont want to swirl a fermenter ...you should rather walk away and leave it for 4-6 weeks ...that's what I did

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #146
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu
Also I used 3724

I didn't go any higher than 78 for temp...started at 68 waited for 3 days and raised 1 degree each day until 78...this was based on insider info

What temp did you start at?

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #147
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've heard a lot of folks swirling this yeast every few days to keep yeast in suspension and running it up to 90-95. Even wyeast says: will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures, at least 90°F (32°C), or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

I started in the high 60s- low 70s and within a week was up to 90, and have been keeping it 90-95 since.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #148
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
I've heard a lot of folks swirling this yeast every few days to keep yeast in suspension and running it up to 90-95. Even wyeast says: will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures, at least 90°F (32°C), or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

I started in the high 60s- low 70s and within a week was up to 90, and have been keeping it 90-95 since.
I think swirling promotes the flocculation, not decreases it. It's such a powdery strain that plenty of yeast will remain without intervention.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #149
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Cool well I will leave it alone and keep it up around 90 for a couple more weeks.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #150
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just got back from being away a week and the water bath is at 86 and she's STILL bubbling away. At least every ten seconds. Go 3724 go! Been about 27 days... Not going to even check SG again until I see NO more bubbling.

The recipe calls for dry hopping with cascade but I'm thinking of maybe omitting that and making it a more traditional saison (not usually dry hopped?). Do we think tank 7 is dry hopped?

Quick Reply