Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Boulevard Smokestack Series Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #131
mpride1911
Angry Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 215

I mashed at 154 for 60 minutes. My sparge was at 170. However, I was still building my brew stand at the time and experimented with the Brutus 20 concept, with just with a single burner. It's described as a counter-recirculating resparge. And you do it until the SG is equal in the mash tun and the boil kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #132
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

how do you think this would turn out if i took it down to like 6.5% ABV. I'd just decrease my malt bill so would it finish lower too?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #133
wskee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I am still waiting on the 3724 yeast to finish. It really is a turtle but hopefully the wait pays off. It's close but it needs another week or two.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #134
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wskee
I am still waiting on the 3724 yeast to finish. It really is a turtle but hopefully the wait pays off. It's close but it needs another week or two.
Put a heating pad w/ towels around the fermenter so it gets up past 75 degrees.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #135
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshaw50 View Post
Boulevard Smokestack Series Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Clone
Type: Saison/Farmhouse Ale

Description taken from Boulevard Website:

SRM: 6 or EBC:12
IBUs: 38
OG: 1.071
FG: 1.010
ABV: 8%

70% Efficiency

0.66 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Adjunct 4.04 %
10.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 64.34 %
4.50 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 27.57 %
0.66 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.66 oz Falconer's Flight (Magnum alt) [10.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.6 IBU
0.66 oz Falconer's Flight (Simcoe alt) [10.50 %] (20 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial (Amarillo alt) [8.70 %] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.70 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops - 0 IBU
1 Pkgs American Farmhouse Blend (Platinum Series) (White Lab #670) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.17 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.20 %
Bitterness: 35.7 IBU
Calories: 355 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.1 SRM

A few comments:

Boulevard's Website states they use Simcoe, Magnum, and Amarillo.
I used other citrus/floral hops because that's what I had in my refrigerator.
It has also been suggested to increase the % of corn and reduce the percentage of Wheat in the grain bill

Alternate Option for Yeast - French Saison

Hops suggestions (taken from Head Brewmaster at Boulevard) -

Bitter - Magnum
Flavor - Touch of Simcoe
Finish - Amarillo
Dry Hop - 1 ounce Amarillo
I Just bought the ingredients for this, using the WY 3724, LHBS out of the WL670.

What temp and for how long did you mash?
On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #136
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
I Just bought the ingredients for this, using the WY 3724, LHBS out of the WL670.

What temp and for how long did you mash?
Sorry I read through the whole thread, so I think I will mash at 152 for 60 mins. This yeast strain I'm going to use (3724) looks very interesting:

"This strain is the classic farmhouse ale yeast. A traditional yeast that is spicy with complex aromatics, including bubble gum. It is very tart and dry on the palate with a mild fruitiness. Expect a crisp, mildly acidic finish that will benefit from elevated fermentation temperatures. This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures, at least 90°F (32°C), or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

Temperature Range: 70-95F."

I have a big plastic tub and aquarium heater which seems to work great for keeping temps stable but I'm trying to figure out the schedule for the primary. Thinking to start it at 70-72 for the first few days through the main vigorous fermentation then ramp it another 5 degrees every 3 days or so until I hit 90 (wow this seems crazy) then hold there until a total of 2 weeks is done. But when to rack to secondary and what temp there while dry hopping?
On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #137
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

One more question ;-). I am nervous about this one, second belgian attempt, first was an extract clone of La Fin Du Monde and it's a low carbed, 10% fusel bomb... well it gets you drunk...

On this 3724, i've been reading about it to figure out my ferm temp schedule. What about a starter? Logic says use yeast calc like I always do and this will call for a pretty big starter, but are there any special considerations with 3724? Desirable to underpitch for certain flavor profiles?

Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #138
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
One more question ;-). I am nervous about this one, second belgian attempt, first was an extract clone of La Fin Du Monde and it's a low carbed, 10% fusel bomb... well it gets you drunk...

On this 3724, i've been reading about it to figure out my ferm temp schedule. What about a starter? Logic says use yeast calc like I always do and this will call for a pretty big starter, but are there any special considerations with 3724? Desirable to underpitch for certain flavor profiles?
If you have problems with solventy beers, the last thing you want to do is underpitch at all. The risks of overpitching are far more benign and hard to detect than the risks of underpitching. You are far better to err on the over than the under.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #139
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think the issue with fusels in my Tripel was too high OG, because of too much candi sugar, and I fermented too hot initially.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #140
wskee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

+1 for the starter

This was my first brew with 3724. I was able to move mine up to 85° after a 3-4 days in the high 60's and even bumped it to low-mid 90's after a couple weeks for 4-5 days then back to 85°. It finished, but it took close to a month to ferment then I dry hopped. I just bottled it a few days ago and the sample tasted pretty good. Fingers crossed!

I don't think I would add any heat when dry hopping. I thought it was best to leave it at room temp but someone with more experience may be able to answer that better.

Note:I did not make a starter as this was a last minute brew and I used 1 smack pack. The guy @ the brew shop talked me out of using two...

Quick Reply