Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Multiple - Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #391
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have bairds maris otter and cm 2 row which would be best to use or should I buy the Pale malt crisp? Also how many lbs of rice hulls would you reccomend? What's everyone using as far as water to grain ratios for the mash? I usually use 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. Thanks all

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #392
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcabrew View Post
I have bairds maris otter and cm 2 row which would be best to use or should I buy the Pale malt crisp? Also how many lbs of rice hulls would you reccomend? What's everyone using as far as water to grain ratios for the mash? I usually use 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. Thanks all
Use your basic 2-row. Don't measure out rice hulls in pounds so much. A ten pound sack is the size of 55 sack of barley. I usually use one full (decent sized) sauce pan for every five gallons.Your water / grain ratio looks fine.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #393
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher

Use your basic 2-row. Don't measure out rice hulls in pounds so much. A ten pound sack is the size of 55 sack of barley. I usually use one full (decent sized) sauce pan for every five gallons.Your water / grain ratio looks fine.
Thank you BM. I also decided to go with us05. Should I add flour or leave it alone? How much flour do I use If so?

Thanks all

Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 AM   #394
lud
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Flour?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #395
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lud
Flour?
Adds that cloudy haze you get in a hoooooooooogarden

My hop stopper

Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 AM   #396
lud
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy

Adds that cloudy haze you get in a hoooooooooogarden
Ahhhhhhhh....THAT'S where that comes from....I'llll try that next time! Bahahahahahahahahahaha!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #397
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37
Well brewed this up yesterday but ran out of propane with about 5-10 minutes left. To make matters worse, the gas station also ran out of propane. So I threw the orange and coriander in, stirred it up for about 5 minutes and then started to chill the wort down. Hope it still has enough orange/coriander character to it.
Well this turned out fantastic! The only difference I made was zested about half an orange, let that sit in some triple sec for 2 days, strained out the zest, and then dumped it right into the keg. Now I can actually taste the orange and DAMN is this good! Thanks Biermuncher

Hip Check Brewing Company

Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #398
jefro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Reporting back - I think I failed. My batch is tart (almost sour), and has a taste that is distinctly not Blue Moon. It may be the phenolic taste of Hoegarden, but I have never tasted one, so don't know.

Points to consider:

- I didn't use oats. I should have read this entire thread before jumping in!

- I had a heck of a time cooling it off (large volume & no wort chiller) and pitched at 80 after several hours in an ice water bath.

- I boiled away my aromatics by adding them too soon. Orange and coriander should go in at flameout or very close to it.

- I used Belgian Witbier yeast. I think this may be the main source of the tartness/aroma. It also tasted very yeasty even after 3 weeks in the fermenter.

- I bottled too soon (3 weeks) - should have used a secondary and aged it for a while.

So.. will this beer improve, or should I just chuck it and keep experimenting? It ain't Blue Moon or anything near it, but it might be a nice Belgian for all I know. It tastes like paint to me, but for all I know that is how Belgian Witbier is supposed to taste. (Don't ask how I know what paint tastes like.)

Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #399
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Reporting back - I think I failed. My batch is tart (almost sour), and has a taste that is distinctly not Blue Moon. It may be the phenolic taste of Hoegarden, but I have never tasted one, so don't know.

Points to consider:

- I didn't use oats. I should have read this entire thread before jumping in!

- I had a heck of a time cooling it off (large volume & no wort chiller) and pitched at 80 after several hours in an ice water bath.

- I boiled away my aromatics by adding them too soon. Orange and coriander should go in at flameout or very close to it.

- I used Belgian Witbier yeast. I think this may be the main source of the tartness/aroma. It also tasted very yeasty even after 3 weeks in the fermenter.

- I bottled too soon (3 weeks) - should have used a secondary and aged it for a while.

So.. will this beer improve, or should I just chuck it and keep experimenting? It ain't Blue Moon or anything near it, but it might be a nice Belgian for all I know. It tastes like paint to me, but for all I know that is how Belgian Witbier is supposed to taste. (Don't ask how I know what paint tastes like.)
I have made this recipe twice now and can firmly say this a delicious Belgian Wit, however it is not in the same neighborhood as Blue Moon. I agree that mine have come out much closer to Hoegaarden. Mine have not tasted like paint, as you describe. I have bottled this recipe after only three weeks in the fermenter without any ill results.

For something closer to a Blue Moon clone, I recommend trying one of the recipes in this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

I bottled Niloh's #4 recipe (listed towards the end of the thread) a couple weeks ago and tasted much closer to Blue Moon than BierMuncher's recipe. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #400
jefro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks ZombieBrew83 - I may have overstated by describing it as "paint" The flavor is not solvent-like, but it is very ... fruity almost, estery I guess. Before I dump it I'll try to find someone who knows the styles who can advise on whether I brewed a bad batch, or a good batch I don't like. I'll try the other recipes next.

Quick Reply