Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Multiple - Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #371
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,103
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeholleratya View Post
First time I followed the recipe exactly. The other times I've upped the coriander and orange zest. I like a little more spice in mine. 23 gal batch, eh? Jealous you have the equipment required to make that
One trick I found for coriander is to take the seeds and toast them in a frying pan (no oil or anything). Then crush them with a hammer in a ziploc bag.
__________________

Fall Line Brewing Company

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

elproducto is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #372
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,372
Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
One trick I found for coriander is to take the seeds and toast them in a frying pan (no oil or anything). Then crush them with a hammer in a ziploc bag.
I used a coffee grinder on medium-coarse.
__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #373
letmeholleratya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eugene
Posts: 85
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


I've just been buying mine pre-ground at the store. Does fresh ground really make that big of a difference? If so I'll start buying whole coriander.

__________________
letmeholleratya is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #374
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 891
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeholleratya View Post
First time I followed the recipe exactly. The other times I've upped the coriander and orange zest. I like a little more spice in mine. 23 gal batch, eh? Jealous you have the equipment required to make that
Nothing to be jealous about. Does not matter brew system size great beers are made on all sized systems. I've been brewing off and on for about 20 yrs, you can grow into a larger system as you get older
__________________
Warrior is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #375
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 891
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
One trick I found for coriander is to take the seeds and toast them in a frying pan (no oil or anything). Then crush them with a hammer in a ziploc bag.
Mine was the cilantro I grew last year that went to seed. Dried them in the shop naturally. I used a blender to grind open the seeds which seemed to work fairly well.
__________________
Warrior is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #376
jefro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Redwood Country
Posts: 51
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default


I brewed this weekend according to BierMuncher's recipe, mostly. My family wants to call it "Blue Moose".

2lb wheat flakes, mashed 75 minutes at 155

60min boil:
3lb light DME
1lb wheat DME
1oz Golding Kent

last 15 mins:
1oz crushed fresh coriander seeds
1oz bitter orange (from health food store)

yeast: Belgian witbier liquid

OG: 1.36

What went well: wheat was very easy to work with. I mashed it in 2 gallons, then sparged through a colander with another 1.5 gallons at 160 degrees, and got about 8 points with it. Then added the DME and hops, boiled for an hour, and ended up

What confused me: the low OG, but I'm not going to worry. It took a long time to bring it down to pitchable temp - I got it to 90 with ice water in the sink, then added it to 2 gallons of cold water in the primary, but then it sat at about 85 for hours. I put the lid on it, so I am fairly confident it was not injured by the experience. Also, there was very little orange in the initial smell or flavor. I may toss in some fresh zest in a few days.

What's still confusing me: the yeast seemed quite lively when I opened the bottle, but thus far hasn't done a whole lot after 13 hrs, despite pitching it at 78. I know, don't worry (and I won't until tomorrow). I do have a packet of safale 05 in case I need to repitch.

What I won't do again: bottle my 1st batch at the same time as trying to keep an eye on the boil, while also making fresh ciabatta rolls.

More on the situation as it develops

Jefro
---
primary: Blue Moose (Belgian-like substance)
secondary: empty
bottled yesterday: Pullman Porter (aka Take My Bag Porter kit from SF Brewcraft, plus the mistakes I made brewing it)

__________________
jefro is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #377
jefro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Redwood Country
Posts: 51
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default


Batch bubbling nicely now, albeit slowly, as it is in my "brew room" (utility closet) avg temp around 64. I like watching the little bubbles, though.

__________________
jefro is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #378
letmeholleratya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eugene
Posts: 85
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro
I brewed this weekend according to BierMuncher's recipe, mostly. My family wants to call it "Blue Moose".

2lb wheat flakes, mashed 75 minutes at 155

60min boil:
3lb light DME
1lb wheat DME
1oz Golding Kent

last 15 mins:
1oz crushed fresh coriander seeds
1oz bitter orange (from health food store)

yeast: Belgian witbier liquid

OG: 1.36

What went well: wheat was very easy to work with. I mashed it in 2 gallons, then sparged through a colander with another 1.5 gallons at 160 degrees, and got about 8 points with it. Then added the DME and hops, boiled for an hour, and ended up

What confused me: the low OG, but I'm not going to worry. It took a long time to bring it down to pitchable temp - I got it to 90 with ice water in the sink, then added it to 2 gallons of cold water in the primary, but then it sat at about 85 for hours. I put the lid on it, so I am fairly confident it was not injured by the experience. Also, there was very little orange in the initial smell or flavor. I may toss in some fresh zest in a few days.

What's still confusing me: the yeast seemed quite lively when I opened the bottle, but thus far hasn't done a whole lot after 13 hrs, despite pitching it at 78. I know, don't worry (and I won't until tomorrow). I do have a packet of safale 05 in case I need to repitch.

What I won't do again: bottle my 1st batch at the same time as trying to keep an eye on the boil, while also making fresh ciabatta rolls.

More on the situation as it develops

Jefro
---
primary: Blue Moose (Belgian-like substance)
secondary: empty
bottled yesterday: Pullman Porter (aka Take My Bag Porter kit from SF Brewcraft, plus the mistakes I made brewing it)
I'd recommend next time to throw the orange and coriander additions in as close to flameout as possible. At 15 you'll probably be losing a lot of flavor.
__________________
letmeholleratya is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #379
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 944
Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Brewed up another batch of this last Saturday. Going to be a challenge, I have to go grain to glass in 13 days. Checked the gravity yesterday (Day 4) and its already at 1.010. Planning to keg it tonight or tomorrow and burst carb it. The gravity sample tasted decent. I added a full oz of the orange peel and coriander this time, along with a 1/2oz of amarillo at 5 min.

__________________
DIY stuff...
- Bar
- S/S mash paddle, PEX manifold
brew2enjoy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #380
jefro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Redwood Country
Posts: 51
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default


letmeholleratya: AH, I see, thanks - that didn't occur to me. Will put it in at flameout on the next batch.

brew2enjoy: holy cow that's fast! I did mine on Sunday and it is still bubbling. (At 64 degrees, though.) What does amarillo taste like?

__________________
jefro is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Moon - Honey Moon Clone Recipe limprizol Recipes/Ingredients 2 01-25-2010 03:36 PM
Blue Moon Clone? Panzermann Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 06-10-2009 06:59 PM
BM's Blue Balls - Got the Blue, but where's the Balls? jchadscud Recipes/Ingredients 14 04-29-2009 10:20 PM
AHS Blue Moon Clone veggiess Extract Brewing 33 04-02-2009 01:54 PM
This Belgian Wit is spot on for a Blue Moon BierMuncher Recipes/Ingredients 24 04-03-2007 04:58 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS