Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Multiple - Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #301
TrubDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cle Elum
Posts: 390
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default


Sounds good.

How much? 1/2 lb or 1 lb? Do I add it in first, last or ?

Thanks!

__________________
TrubDog is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #302
mccumath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,048
Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


I used 1/2 lb for this recipe, soaked it in hot, out of the tap, water for a while while my strike water was heating up. Then added it to the mash tun, followed by the grains. Then mashed as usual. They do not impart any flavors, and should not be calculated as part of the grain bill either, if I read correctly. Hope that helps.

Ryan M.

__________________
Put it all in the primary, and let the BeerGods sort it out
mccumath is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #303
TrubDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cle Elum
Posts: 390
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default


Perfect!

Ya just think you are starting to understand the various causes and affects of brewing and then you try something different and you realize you don't know jack!

Thanks for the info - hopefully it will also help someone else.

Dave

__________________
TrubDog is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #304
letmeholleratya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eugene
Posts: 85
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


This beer turned out great! I think I've found a regular

__________________
letmeholleratya is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #305
tt0027
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Farmington
Posts: 18
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
This should be a good base:
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

1.49 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast #3944 or White Labs WLP400) Definitely want a Belgian Wit yeast though.

Mash your flaked wheat at 155 degrees for 60-75 minutes (the longer will up the efficiency and ABV%)

Strain the wheat grains out and bring wort to boil, add extracts and you know the rest...
I saw this asked a few times with no answer. Not sure if it belongs somewhere else, but I want to try this recipe out but have never done a PM before. With only 2lb of grain (I'm only counting the wheat, but maybe I should also count the DME???), how do i determine how much strike water to use? Does it follow the 1.5 qt / 1 lb rule? That would only be 3 qts (.75 gal). Once I've done that, how much water should I use to sparge? I've read 2 times the initial mash, so that would be 1.5 gal. for a total of 2.25 (not counting boil off). Ultimately, what volume should my wort be?

Should I mash with .75 gal strike water, sparge with 1.5 gal, and then combine the two, boil, add DME, and then top off to OG in the fermenter? Or should I be shooting for a minimum volume of wort for the boil? Or something else altogether?

Thanks!
__________________
tt0027 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #306
tt0027
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Farmington
Posts: 18
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0027 View Post
I saw this asked a few times with no answer. Not sure if it belongs somewhere else, but I want to try this recipe out but have never done a PM before. With only 2lb of grain (I'm only counting the wheat, but maybe I should also count the DME???), how do i determine how much strike water to use? Does it follow the 1.5 qt / 1 lb rule? That would only be 3 qts (.75 gal). Once I've done that, how much water should I use to sparge? I've read 2 times the initial mash, so that would be 1.5 gal. for a total of 2.25 (not counting boil off). Ultimately, what volume should my wort be?

Should I mash with .75 gal strike water, sparge with 1.5 gal, and then combine the two, boil, add DME, and then top off to OG in the fermenter? Or should I be shooting for a minimum volume of wort for the boil? Or something else altogether?

Thanks!
Disregard... Beersmith answered for me. For anyone curious, Beersmith recommends a 3.5qt mash in for 75 min with a 3.88 gal fly sparge at 168f. Then add water to get to preboil OG of 1.061. I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.
__________________
tt0027 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #307
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,372
Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default


I have 3.3lbs. Pilsen LME leftover that I've been wanting to use-up. Here's what I came up with to brew this partial mash:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1123936/w...ipes/bloo-muen

__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #308
Craigvu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Ok I promise I've searched and can't find the answer, but how do you crush or prepare the coriander? I got whole seeds from my lhbs.

__________________
Craigvu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #309
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,372
Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigvu
Ok I promise I've searched and can't find the answer, but how do you crush or prepare the coriander? I got whole seeds from my lhbs.
Coffee grinder if you have one. Else roll it with beer bottle our rolling pin in a plastic bag
__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #310
rickyhoel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 15
Default


I just put them in a plastic bag and hit them with a small hammer.

__________________

Hey, I've hard hadly any.

rickyhoel is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Moon - Honey Moon Clone Recipe limprizol Recipes/Ingredients 2 01-25-2010 03:36 PM
Blue Moon Clone? Panzermann Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 06-10-2009 06:59 PM
BM's Blue Balls - Got the Blue, but where's the Balls? jchadscud Recipes/Ingredients 14 04-29-2009 10:20 PM
AHS Blue Moon Clone veggiess Extract Brewing 33 04-02-2009 01:54 PM
This Belgian Wit is spot on for a Blue Moon BierMuncher Recipes/Ingredients 24 04-03-2007 04:58 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS