Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Multiple - Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #221
GordonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Cool - i bought it but have never used it . Was hoping this would fall in line with the recipe. I saw some people using Maris Otter, which I also have. Would you recommend that over the pale? I guess I wasn't sure that the crisp was going for since I haven't used the crisp before.

Will be brewing this this weekend I think!

Thanks for the response biermuncher!
I you have Maris Otter and you're brewing an ale that is the more appropriate choice.

The difference between Maritime barley (Maris Otter) and prairie barley (the Canadian) is that maritime barley is plumper and sweeter providing a maltier rounder taste in the finished beer. Perfect for ales.

I'm Canadian and use both. I use the Canadian malt for lagers and Belgians and use Maris Otter, Crisp etc. for my ales.

If you can't get maritime barley, lager malt is an ok substitute.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #222
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
I you have Maris Otter and you're brewing an ale that is the more appropriate choice.

The difference between Maritime barley (Maris Otter) and prairie barley (the Canadian) is that maritime barley is plumper and sweeter providing a maltier rounder taste in the finished beer. Perfect for ales.

I'm Canadian and use both. I use the Canadian malt for lagers and Belgians and use Maris Otter, Crisp etc. for my ales.

If you can't get maritime barley, lager malt is an ok substitute.
Confused by this.

Isn't this recipe for an ale? Belgian Witbier is an "ale" styling. So you are saying for Belgian ale stylings you prefer the crisp or the superior pale malt I have? For other ale stylings you prefer MO?

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #223
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Confused by this.

Isn't this recipe for an ale? Belgian Witbier is an "ale" styling. So you are saying for Belgian ale stylings you prefer the crisp or the superior pale malt I have? For other ale stylings you prefer MO?
For Belgian ales, lager malt is a better choice. For English and North American style ales Maritime malt is better. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #224
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
For Belgian ales, lager malt is a better choice. For English and North American style ales Maritime malt is better. Sorry for the confusion.
Hey I appreciate your consideration in trying to explain it period !

I thought all of these were classified as pale malts. When you say lager malt, you are referring to the lighter less character filled malts I assume (basic light SRM 2rows).

You wouldn't happen to have any reference (website reading, etc.) that breaks down brands or qualities of malts and their best uses would you? I would be very interested in some malt reading material if you know of any. Still breaking the ice on the All Grain scene.

I had gotten my MO almost exclusively for remaking and fine tuning my UBU recipe. I can't match it with extract, and I think MO is the key due to its biscuity nuance.

Much appreciated!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #225
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Hey I appreciate your consideration in trying to explain it period !

I thought all of these were classified as pale malts. When you say lager malt, you are referring to the lighter less character filled malts I assume (basic light SRM 2rows).

You wouldn't happen to have any reference (website reading, etc.) that breaks down brands or qualities of malts and their best uses would you? I would be very interested in some malt reading material if you know of any. Still breaking the ice on the All Grain scene.

I had gotten my MO almost exclusively for remaking and fine tuning my UBU recipe. I can't match it with extract, and I think MO is the key due to its biscuity nuance.

Much appreciated!
This website has at least a fair breakdown on available malts, including the elusive Caramel that many people mistake for Crystal.

http://rahr.com/

Most of the information I have about different malts and their appropriateness in different beers has come about either by reading style specific books or in discussion with brewers.

For instance it was my view for a long time that Black patent malt was THE malt for a porter until a friendly brewer convinced me to try Chocolate. Similar thing happened with Crystal 120. I was convinced it could only be used in small quantities until a different friendly brewer told me his brewery used it in one of my favorite beers.

The Classic Beer Style Series is a very good series of style specific books. Probably available through Amazon.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #226
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

GordonT thanks very much for the references and the site - much appreciated.

You comment about 120 reminds me of special B. Many people said only small quantities.... Ever heard of arrogant bastard?

Thanks again!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #227
Kidder
Recipes 

Wow, just pulled a sample from the fermenter and it tastes really nice. I don't know if it's finished yet as it's 1.012, but my OG was 1.050 which was much higher than what the recipe said. It's been fermenting for almost 2 weeks. I just wrapped a heat pad around to help it finish out, maybe it'll help.

I can taste the coriander spice, which is a relief since I forgot to crush it. Too bad it's not summer yet because this would make a great lawnmower beer. Can't wait to keg this one up.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #228
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just as an aside - planning on getting to this one this weekend (unless an obstacle pops up).

Wanted to post:

(Crisp Pale Ale:
A premium ale malt of the best barley variety grown from each crop year (recent examples include Fanfare and Optic). This malt offers superior milling, run-off, and extract (typically higher than domestic varieties). Crisp Pale Ale is malted in Great Ryburgh using modern malting techniques to give consistent, high quality malt.)

i.e. the CM-PALE - Superior Pale Malt I have seems like a very similar substitution.

i.e. CM-PALE is the same type of Malt; just from North America (Canada).

I will likely use the CM-PALE or a blend of mosly CM-PALE and Maris Otter

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #229
Likwid
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Color

I just finished brewing this and notice the color going into the fermentor was a nutish color (like a milky cream color.. tannish)... It smells extremly good, better then anything I ever smelled.

What gets me is the color going in... Did I do something wrong? I follow the all grain method on the first post the onyl differnence is i used 5 LB of each grain instead of 4.5.

It was not the boil that changed it but comming out of the mash was creamy. It sat for 1 hour at 152 (missed it by 2 degrees on the first page, but figure 2 degree wont matter). Batch sparge and the 2nd runnings were 2 degree miss as well (166).

Old 04-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #230
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwid View Post
I just finished brewing this and notice the color going into the fermentor was a nutish color (like a milky cream color.. tannish)... It smells extremly good, better then anything I ever smelled.

What gets me is the color going in... Did I do something wrong? I follow the all grain method on the first post the onyl differnence is i used 5 LB of each grain instead of 4.5.

It was not the boil that changed it but comming out of the mash was creamy. It sat for 1 hour at 152 (missed it by 2 degrees on the first page, but figure 2 degree wont matter). Batch sparge and the 2nd runnings were 2 degree miss as well (166).

THe color will be fine, its darker due to break material and proteins which will settle out during fermentation.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Quick Reply