Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Multiple - Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #201
psutimmah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Okay so I went to LHBS today with my brewbuddy. They had a bunch of brewers doing their thing, mostly extract style. Sampled quite a bit before picking out my recipe. I had a few recipes saved into the phone as well as my homebrew bible on hand. My buddy Marc picked up enough stuff to brew an abbey trappist. I on the other hand couldn't decide. I just brewed and am about to keg "blacklabs orange cascade" and samples have kicked ass. I thought about the same grain bill and using a belgian or hefe yeast. However this is what I will be brewing monday. Just pitched the yeast starter about 2 hrs ago with White Labs Hefeweizen IV. The LHBS had a sale on it!

Using this recipe as a base. What ya'll think...!?!??....

4.5 lbs Briess 2-row
4.5 lbs Flaked Wheat (Red)
1 oz. East Kent Goldings FWH
1 oz. Bitter Orange Peel (10 minutes)
1 oz. Homeground Coriander Seeds (10 minutes)
White Labs Hefeweizen IV Yeast

Still figuring what mash schedule I wanna follow. I use a Coleman Xtreme.. so its big.

"Edit: Just realized I have White Labs Cream Ale Yeast as well. Anyone ever work with this..maybe this might be an interesting choice for this brew? The brain is always working..."

Last edited by psutimmah; 11-06-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #202
psutimmah
Recipes 

So yesterday was brewday!

I ended up making a hefe. Utilized this recipe for 5 gallons:

4.5 lbs Pale Malt 2-row (briess)
4.5 lbs Red Flaked Wheat
1 oz FWH US East Kent Goldings
1 oz Ground Coriander @ 10 min left
1 oz Bitter Orange Peel @ 10 min left
1 vial WL Hefeweizen Yeast

Hit my first temp @ 122 perfect w/ 133 degree water
Second temp was short at 145 for about 40 minutes (didnt have enough hot water) w/ 200 degree water
Brought temp to 153 for 30 minutes w/ boiling water
Sparged at 168 w/ 200 degree water

I still hit the style with og of 1.045 so we will see what happens.

I woke up this am to the blowing off of the stopper. Started quick and lookin sexy.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #203
Kazator
Recipes 

Hi.

I am working on the recipe, little bit changing BierMuncher´s, can you tell me if it is good or bad? I am quite a "green" home brewer.

Belgian Wit:
5g batch

2 lb Flaked Wheat
1/2 lb Belgian Aromatic
1/2 lb Crystal Wheat Malt
3 lb Pale Malt Extract
1.5 lb Wheat DME

1.5 oz Goldings 60m
0.5 oz Saaz 30m
0.25 oz Saaz 5m

0.75 oz Coriander 10m
0.75 oz Bitter Orange Peel 10m

Belgian Wit yeast WP400

Thank you.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #204
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Spices

I hope you don't mind my jumping in but I have been experimenting with spices including orange peel and vanilla bean, over the last several months. Lately I've come to the conclusion that different spices have to be added at different times.

Licorice root I've been adding at 10-15 minutes with good results.
Coriander I've been crushing in a baggie and adding right when I turn the heat off.

Spices like nutmeg or cumin should probably also be added at 5 or the end.

I have a Spiced Old Ale that has turned out beautifully twice now. It uses cinnamon sticks that I add around 10 - 15.

So I'm thinking that ground spices are too delicate to boil. The flavour will boil off. They should be added very late in the boil. Hard spices like licorice, cinnamon sticks or star anise (unless you grind it) should be boiled but only long enough to pull the flavour out.

I tried adding dried orange peel to several beers but don't like it as much as adding fresh zest. I live in an area where we have access to mandarins and tangerines throughout the year so I just zest those and add at 5 minutes or as I turn the heat off. My wife has suggested I grate the orange but I have been carefully cutting the zest off, leaving the bitter pith, and cutting that into small pieces.

In my last two beers I used the peel of two oranges and that turned out to be just the right amount with the flavour nicely married with the malt and hops.

I hope this is of some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman ! View Post
I just got an activator pack of 3942 Belgian Wheat yeast.

I am going to brew this tomorrow with that yeast. The Wyeast brochure says "Estery, low phenol producing yeast from [a] small Belgian brewery. Apple, bubble gum and plum aromas with a dry but fruity finish."

I love fruity beers. I love wheat beers. This could be heaven.

Please tell me more about the coriander and the orange. How are they prepared ?

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #205
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

just brewed the extract version on the first page and racked into secondary today. it tasted like its going to be a great brew. im drying hoping with a half ounce of kent goldings. quick question it looks very thick im wondering if i should throw some gelatin in there to fine the brew out?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #206
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcabrew View Post
just brewed the extract version on the first page and racked into secondary today. it tasted like its going to be a great brew. im drying hoping with a half ounce of kent goldings. quick question it looks very thick im wondering if i should throw some gelatin in there to fine the brew out?
Don't add anything. This is a wheat beer and is supposed to have an unfiltered character.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #207
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, I am whipping up a 1L starter (I always do a starter due to the way yeast is shipped to me - sometimes takes 3 weeks to get here) in order to do the AG recipe on Page 1 this weekend. I have started to leave my brew in the primary for a month for the yeast to do its thing and make me a nice clear beer. How about with a wit? A month or?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #208
psutimmah
Recipes 

Update: The beer came out great. Thanks for the recipe bier. The coriander comes through just a bit, but compliments the orange peel wonderfully. Everyone who tried this loved it. I liked it too cuz I could enjoy out of the bottle. The yeast added so much flavor. Some sips were bananaie lol, some almost bubble gum, and all while the coriander throws around your taste buds. I am gonna brew this again exact but also mess with a couple different yeasts. The color is spot on to hefe/ blue moon wheat style. Winner here all the way around. Thanks Again Bier, and everyone else for sharing tips and experiences.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #209
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

ok say what would happen if you added a BrettB..for a second fermentation..would you need to add sugar..

Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #210
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101 View Post
ok say what would happen if you added a BrettB..for a second fermentation..would you need to add sugar..
Brett can eat through some of the more complex sugars that regular sacc can not, this recipes usually cuts out at about 1.013 the past few times ive brewed it. My guess with the brett your gonna need some extra fermentation time and expect this to get pretty dry, my guess is around 1.00.

Maybe other might want to chime in but i dont really feel that this beer has a body that could support some brett character, i feel that this would make the beer really dry and thin and very one dimensional.

just my 2 cents, i like my brett beers to be a bit higher in abv

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Quick Reply