Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Multiple - Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #121
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

I just bought a big bag of Pilsner malt (Breiss). Should I sub this in for the pale? Answer quick, cause I'm running downstate to pick it up tonight! Brewing on Sunday.

First AG Wit!! I'm stoked!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #122
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Darn, I"M not stoked anymore. I made up a starter for the WLP400 last night and this morning nothing is going on. Absolutely no activity. It was getting a bit old, but still should have been viable. I'm keeping it on the stirplate, but might have to sub some nottingham again. Thank God for backup yeast! I just wish I could have used the Wit yeast this time.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #123
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Well, I brewed it up. I mulled my options and decided that I really didn't have a better alternative than to brew it with Notty. I also used pilsner malt cause i had it.

I was thinking about doing a saison, or a belgian pale, but I didn't have time to build a starter, and I wanted to keep the wit yeast on the stirplate for a while to see if I can get it going.

The brew went very well, and came out so much lighter than my previous extract versions! Smelled differently, though. I blame the pilsner malt, and can't wait to try it!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #124
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've made this twice now with amazing results. I went ahead and used an ounce of coriander and an ounce of sweet orange peel, just because that is the size of the package they both came in, and it came out perfect. For me, you cannot overdo those flavors in this beer.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #125
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I finally kegged and sampled this and it's awsum! I feel I'm getting my process down now. I used the Notty yeast, due to the above mentioned poor start on the Wit yeast, and I zested 2 large oranges, and 1 lemon.

This thing it very light in color, and the aroma is very nice. Taste is very clean with the usual wheat and citrus you'd expect. I am giving this to a couple of ladies who like Blue Moon and I think they will like it.

I expect I'll continue to use this as a base Wit recipe from now on, and maybe try some variations here and there. Maybe different yeast next time, or a different blend of spices.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #126
quinnae
Recipes 

I brewed this beer 3 weeks ago and tasted it out if the primary. It had a strong banana aroma. Is this normal?

It was not that great out of the fermenter tasted watered down. How long should this beer condition before it peaks in taste?

This is my first brew so I am not experienced with how beers taste before they condition.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #127
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

This beer came out great. I was several degrees low on my mash, so this came out a little drier than I had hoped. Oh well, still tasty. The corrander is certainly coming through, but I'm not tasting the orange as much as I had hoped. Would I get more orange flavor by using fresh orange zest as opposed to the dried orange peel that I used? I did soak the dried peels in water before adding them to the boil to try and extract as much of the flavor as possible.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #128
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheGreat View Post
This beer came out great. I was several degrees low on my mash, so this came out a little drier than I had hoped. Oh well, still tasty. The corrander is certainly coming through, but I'm not tasting the orange as much as I had hoped. Would I get more orange flavor by using fresh orange zest as opposed to the dried orange peel that I used? I did soak the dried peels in water before adding them to the boil to try and extract as much of the flavor as possible.
I switched to fresh zest. More of a PITA, but you definitely get a richer aroma.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 10-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #129
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I switched to fresh zest. More of a PITA, but you definitely get a richer aroma.
Thanks BM. How much of the fresh zest do you normally use?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #130
arrowgin
Recipes 

I brewed, bottled, and tasted this last week for the first time using the Extract method.

Gotta say, it was good. However, me and the guys all commented that it seemed pretty weak in the APV vareity.

That being said, maybe bump up the Wheat extract to 2lbs might make the apv go up a little without altering the taste too much. Prolly give that a try for round 2.

Quick Reply