Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Blood Orange Belgian Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #71
Marl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Had this fermenting for the last few weeks and will be bottling tonight. Made as per recipe with blood oranges and looks great. Has a lovely orange smell and taste to it with just enough corriander to not overpower it. OG was 1051 with an FG of 1007 so an ABV of about 5.8%.

Will post again after it's had a few weeks in the bottle.

Marl out.

Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #72
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can't wait to hear your tasting notes!!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #73
chrism583
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

For those of us who brew in carboys how would you suggest handling the oranges when you put the wort into the primary? I don't relish the thought of shoving a grain bag in there and then trying to fish it out in a week and a half.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #74
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I would just cut the slices of orange into small pieces and not put it into any bag. Once you rack your beer the small pieces of orange should be easy to remove from the carboy.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #75
jheld00
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've brewed a few blood orange beers Hefeweizen's and wits. After heating up the fruit to kill off any bugs I just toss them in. Once I forgot about a batch it had fruit in the primary for 2.75 months!!! Turned out to be one hell of a beer with no ill effects/flavors

Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #76
troglodytes
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

This sounded so delicious I had to do it. Especially with spring on its way. I made the following modifications to the recipe to try a little experimentation, can't wait to see how it turns out.

• No blood oranges available so I used minneolas which are fantastically sweet and very easy to peel
  • I toasted the coriander prior to adding it to the boil
  • I had 3 lb of wheat DME with about .15-.2 lb of amber DME mixed in from a previous brew so I used that. I knew it would up the OG a little and the color so what I did to counter-act was add that as a very late addition just as I was ending the boil. So the 60 minute boil was the 3 Lb of wheat DME and the goldings with the late hop/coriander addition keeping to schedule.
  • 60 minute boil started at 5 gallons (1/2 gallon of steeped fruit at the end made a perfect 5 gallons in the fermentor after boil loss)

The color did stay at around what I wanted, I know that with the larger boil and late addition DME there will be a bit more IBUs, but Beersmith estimated about 18-19 which is still in an acceptable range for wits. OG turned out to be 1.056, so not too high. I'm really looking forward to this, the smell coming out of my blow-off is so deliciously fruity right now.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #77
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Any updates on your batches. How'd it taste?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #78
troglodytes
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, I got busy and left it in the carboy for an extra week and a half. I had plans to bottle last weekend one my gravity readings were steady at 1.009, but something came up. Now the weirdest thing happened, I bottled last night and the gravity read 1.016. That is not a small difference, not sure what could have happened, I'm perplexed.

Anyway, the color is perfect, and the smell is fantastic. So much orange scent. I had a sample, but this was the murkiest beer I ever brewed. There is a lot of yeast flavor so I'm going to have to wait for the bottles to be carbed so I can cold crash this one.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #79
PapaBach
Recipes 

Please fix the original post with the correct gallons in the instructions. I didnt read the correction post until it was too late.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #80
headshaker
Recipes 

I made a similar brew.IT WAS SUPPOSED to be blue moon, but it tasted a little bitter so I added a can of frozen orange. s juice to the keg after fermentation was done.Man it was purty good.

Quick Reply