Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Blood Orange Belgian Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #61
jamesjensen1068
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone brewed this one again?? Blood Oranges are in season again.
Cheers and let me know how it turns out??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #62
SarcasticHorse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've got an all grain similar recipe with lots of blood oranges brewing right now that will be kegged in a few weeks cant wait!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #63
jtaguy
Recipes 

I've done this recipe a few times now. I can not find blood oranges, so I always use other types. I tweaked the recipe a bit and add tangerines, Clementines, extra hops and Irish moss just to clear it out a little bit. Comes out great every time. I'm on a mission to find the ever so elusive Blood Orange!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #64
jheld00
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just brewed a blood orange Hefe. I always have good luck finding blood oranges at little mom and pop grocery stores and ethnic grocery stores as well. My local ethnic grocer has a constant supply of blood oranges from dec through the end of feb.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #65
jtaguy
Recipes 

Finally found blood oranges, looks like I'll be making this soon. I just bottled a batch with navel oranges. I infused the bottling sugar with fresh ginger, did this last time and it gave it a nice taste.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #66
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts

This is a very interesting thread. Wits and bitters are my 2 fav beers. In fact, I have one of each in the pipeline.

This whole orange thing is so up in the air. Dried bitter, dried sweet, fresh and varied types. All claim to add a slight bit of orange flavor. However, if you read they Hoegaarden website the state something quite interesting. Their claim is that the orange additions offer very little in the way of orange flavor. They claim the orange zest adds the bitterness. According to them, its the special coriander (brewing type) that gives their beer the orange flavor and not the oranges.

That being said, I will probably try the adding of boiled orange flesh and zest to see what happens. Most here say the flavor is not very pronounced. Maybe because the orange sweetness from the juice ferments out. I bet all that is left is some citrus oils that add to aroma?

Well, whatever, the fact is Wits have such great balance. Not too hoppy, not too malty or spicy or wheaty. And god help me, they go down like soda pop.

I like beer

Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #67
phi11
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I cant seem to find any "est kent golding" hop pellets, but I can find "uk kent golding" hops.
Is there any difference? what would be a suitable substitute? (quite new at this) thanks

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #68
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

East Kent Golding are the american version of UK Kent Golding imported and now grown by HopUnion I belive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You can use either one (read "they are the same')

Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #69
phi11
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

thanks. when my primary clears, I'll definitely be brewing this. Will it clear more with a little age? (not that I mind the haze too much).

Old 02-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #70
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

It's a Belgian Witbier, it's supposed to have a haze to it. This style is not a clear beer. In fact you should pour most of the bottle out, leave a little and swirl it around to pick up some of the yeast and finish the pour.

Cheers

Quick Reply