Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Blood Orange Belgian Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #41
ajpoen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The HBS I bought my extract from didn't have any wheat DME, so I subbed 6 lbs of Muntons Wheat LME and 12oz Muntons Light LME(Just for body and to up the abv slightly)

I dumped the fruit and peels directly into the fermenter without a bag and it wasn't that big of a deal, even in a carboy. I had sliced the oranges pretty small, so that helped.

I tasted it last weekend and it was still pretty under-carbed(only in bottle for a week) I'll pop another to test tomorrow and post a picture

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #42
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ajpoen,

Awesome....would love to see a pic!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #43
darm0v
Recipes 

What would be the best substitution for blood oranges? I have called several local grocers and can't seem to find them in stock. One store suggested cara cara oranges, and then in this thread someone used orange blossom oranges. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #44
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darm0v View Post
What would be the best substitution for blood oranges?
I'd like to know the answer to that also.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #45
darm0v
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
I'd like to know the answer to that also.
I think I'm going to use Cara Cara. I've called every grocery store around and they said they only had blood oranges in February. I also asked several people at the LHBS and they had no suggestions. They said that the blood orange was unique and it sounded like it was up to me to experiment.

BrewTarget says my IBUs for this are going to be 23.7. That's outside the range for witbiers. Does anyone think that will be too bitter? Otherwise the recipe is balanced with 6 lbs of Muntons Plain Wheat DME, 3 lbs boiled, 3 lbs late addition, my US Goldings hops are 5.9% AA, and the Saaz (US) hops are 7.6% AA. All combined that gives me OG of 1.053, FG of 1.014, ABV of 5.1, IBU 23.7, Color 4.4, and IBU/GU of 0.45. That's for a partial boil extract equipment setup. This is going to be fun.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #46
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Honestly I don't know what to use as a substitute? Part of the coolness factor with this recipe is that for most people in the US Blood Oranges are only available just one or two times a year. You could do a search online about oranges and see the difference in taste profiles and see what you think you'd like?

Cheers

Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #47
jtaguy
Recipes 

I can not wait to try this recipe. I've read all the posts and took the notes. I will post pics and comments when I brew this later in the week!

Thank you for the recipe!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #48
mward43
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the recipe! I just brewed a 5-gallon batch of this last night - it's my first 5-gal brew and my first time using a plastic bucket to ferment. My others have only been 1-gal and 2-gal in glass jugs, so I'm very excited to see how this turns out!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #49
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

jtaguy & mward43,

I'm sure you both will love it. I just had some this past weekend thats been on tap for a few months. Awesome tasting beer. Report back your tasting notes. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Cheers

Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #50
beatrixkills
Recipes 

Blood Orange Wit

2.5 gallons water
1/2 gallon water for zest and fruit

Boil
6 pounds Briess DME Wheat (60 minutes)
1/2 ounce (15g) East Kent Goldings hop pellets (60 minutes)
5 average sized blood oranges (In another pot)
1/2 ounce (15g) Saaz hop pellets (20 minutes)
1/2 ounce (15g) East Kent Goldings hop pellets (10 minutes)
1 oz Crushed Coriander (5 minutes)

In carboy
Cool water to the 5-gallon (19L) mark

Fermentation
Yeast: Wyeast 1214, 3942 or 3944; or White Labs WLP400 or WLP550

Bottling
3.6 ounces CreamyX or other priming source.

STARTING GRAVITY: 1.052
FINAL GRAVITY: 1.011
FINAL TARGET ABV: 5.4%

PROCESS
1. Heat 3.5 gallons of water in the brewpot. As the water begins to boil, remove it from heat. Add the light wheat malt extract. Stir to prevent clumping and scorching on the bottom of the pot. Return the pot to heat.

2. Allow the wort to come up to a boil. Add the first East Kent Golding hop pellets and stir. Start timing the 1-hour boil at the point that you make this hop addition.

3. Zest and save all the oranges. Once the oranges are zested remove the fruit from the rind. The fruit and zest may be placed in a straining bag for easy removal after fermentation. Heat fruit and peels in 1/2 gallon (2L) of water to 160 degrees F (71C) and then turn off heat. Let it steep as it cools.

4. 20 minutes before the end of the boil, add the Saaz hop pellets.

5. 10 minutes before the end of the boil, add the second East Kent Golding hop pellets and stir for 1 minute.

6. At the 60-minute mark, turn off the heat source. Chill the wort in a cold water bath to a temperature of 70F-75F (21C - 24C).

8. Transfer the wort into a carboy or a plastic fermenter. Pour blood orange peels and fruit into the wort.

9. Top up the carboy to a 5-gallon (19L) mark with cool water. Aerate for 1 minute

10. Pitch the yeast

11. In about 12 days, your beer should be ready to package.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply