Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Belgian Tripel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjonsharp View Post
Hmm, it's been awhile, here are my tasting notes from Beer Smith:

"Large frothy white lasting head, with excellent lacing. Hazy yellow in color. Pronounced spicy phenols (clove) aroma, with hints of banana and bubblegum. Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Moderately sweet, moderately bitter, and slightly acidic/tart. Spicy hop flavor and fruitiness. (45/50)"

I definitely don't recall any honey notes, there were notes of fruitiness, but in the end I don't think citrus really stood out. You could bump up the amounts of bitter orange peel, although, I've had better results using fresh orange zest (in my Witbiers). I've only used zest from your typical supermarket orange, but I bet you could get some more interesting aroma if you can get your hands on some more exotic type of oranges.

Was drinking this after 3, maybe 3 1/2 months.
ok thanks. I think I will use 3787. I can get fresh bitter orange from latin market.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
To speed up that sluggish fermentation, try adding the invert syrup at hi krausen. The lower grav of the wort will allow the yeast to take off easier then adding the syrup will feed them when they are the most hungry. You can also start raising the temp of the fermenter after about day 3-4. This will help the yeast but wont increase ester production that would occur if ferment was started at a higher temp.
Thanks for the good tips. I will try one or the other in the summer when I can get my hands on the yeast again and brew this again!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4581 Times on 4486 Posts
Likes Given: 1988

To make the 2.5 lbs of inverted sugar, what was the proportions of sugar (2.5 lbs) to water to acid?

Sorry, that is somewhat new to me so I am curious how you do this and how it affects FG I made a Karmeliet-style Belgian and it was 1.091 and even after a secondary pitch of WLP001 I was only able to get it down to 1.023 (original pitch of WLP550 only made it down to 1.027). It wasn't dry enough IMO. Looking for ways to help bring it down in future Belgian recipes.

Is this process of using inverted sugar (or dissolved candi sugar) as a late addition to the fermenter after initial fermentation is kicked into high gear detailed in any literature that you have seen?

Last edited by Randar; 11-12-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
mdwilliams03
Recipes 

What is the recommended keg pressure?

Quick Reply