Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Belgian Table Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default All-Grain - Belgian Table Beer

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3522
Yeast Starter: 0.5L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1045
Final Gravity: --
IBU: 26
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2wks - 65Fish
Tasting Notes: http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2010/06/belgian-table-beer-review.html

[repost from blog]

I brewed this one up about 2weeks ago now, and somehow I'm just getting around to writing it up. I guess the great spring weather around here has made me too lazy, all I do is lay around soaking up the sun.

Since it was awhile ago that I brewed this I forgot some of the small nuances of why I brewed it like I did, but I have a fairly good idea what and why I did it. A recent pattern to my brewing is lower gravity refreshing beers that will quench your thirst on a hot summer day, and this beer is no exception. A problem I have with a lot of commercial Belgian beers is that they tend to be a bit higher alcohol, and I don't really wanna headache on a hot day. This is kind of an unfortunate trend with homebrewed Belgians as well. This was something I really wanted to avoid at all costs.

A lot of lower OG beers tend to be a bit lighter on the flavor as well as the alcohol, by using a Belgian yeast Im hoping to make something that not only is packed with flavor but will really accentuate all the BBQ food Ill be eating in the next couple months. When dreaming up the recipe I really liked the idea of a light bodied, but very earthy bready beer with a nice amount of Belgian phenolics and esters mid-palate. I didn't however, want it to be anything like a witbier, I wanted something with its own identity. To be honest I had never had anything that I would consider a Belgian Table Beer before today (2wk after brewing) and what I'm drinking as I type is a decent beer but a bit different that I hope to make. (BTW I'm drinking Avril from Dupont) I don't think the beer is bready enough, and it reminds me far too much of a Saison Dupont on a diet, which isn't a bad thing, just not what I want in my beer.

I decided to keep the malt bill simple (as usual) but wanted to add a bit of unmalted wheat to lighten the graininess of a pils base. I wasn't sure what yeast to use, so I went with a strain that I hadn't yet used (Ardennes) it wasn't until a bit of convincing though from some BA'ers that this would be a strain that would work well in the beer. Lastly I threw a lot of late additions of Fuggles and plan to dry hop with them as well to really drive home the earthy flavors.

Belgian Table Beer I

Amt (lbs) Type
6.5 Pilsner
1.5 Flaked Wheat

Hops Type Time
0.85oz Mt Rainier (6.8%) 60
1.0oz Fuggles (4.7%) 10
1.0oz Fuggles (4.7%) KO<170f
1.0oz Fuggles (4.7%) Dry Hop

Mash Schedule
Temp Ratio Time
150F 1.2qt/lb 45
170F 1.9qt/lb 15min - vorlauf

Yeast Ardennes WY3522

Stats
5.5gal OG 1045
85% eff IBU 26
7gal Boil FG -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Review

Tasting and Pic of beer

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2010/0...er-review.html

Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

That's a good looking beer.

Oddly, I just drew up a recipe while bored recently that looks a good deal like this. I had hoped to get around to brewing it soon, but it's always tough to find time during the holiday season (plus I still have my 11/11/11/ to crank out). My recipe calls for roughly 2 parts pilsner to 1 part wheat with a little sugar thrown in, plus what hops I have on hand (first gold & crystal, probably). I might add a whisper of flavoring, such as lemon, or something like that. I like the 3787 and 3538 yeasts, but I've never tried the 3522. Looks like I have a new excuse to try some different yeast! They should turn out fairly similar, I would imagine. A good tasting, drinkable beer that won't knock you on your a$$, yet still captures the essence of these big Belgian ales, is exactly what I had in mind, too.

Have you brewed this again? Would you change anything next time around?

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

thanks,

3522 I think is quite a bit different than 3787, and Ive yet to try 3538, it only hints at bubble gum and spice that 3787 throws a ton of, I think a touch of lime zest could really accentuate the flavor profile of 3522 so you might keep that in mind if you decide to add some spices

Unfortunately I havent had time to rebrew this yet, although its in the plans soon so its ready for spring time, as far as changing anything, I really dont think I would I really liked it as it was, I do think you could sub in something like Rye, Spelt, Triticale, etc for the wheat in the recipe, the yeast really let the flavors from the grain really shine through

Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This sounds great.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 01-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Might have to give this one a try

Old 01-23-2011, 03:23 AM   #7
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you do Id like to hear how it went, Im getting ready for another take on this one myself

Old 01-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Quick question, guessing i can sub malted wheat for flaked wheat 1 to 1? Havent really done much with wheat.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

you could but using malted wheat will change the flavor profile considerably (malted wheat will provide a much grainier wheatiness, and doesnt provide the same creamy body), if you can I really suggest finding the unmalted wheat, lots of heath food stores sell flaked wheat or wheat berries, both would work equally well

if you use the berries I suggest grinding them to flour and mixing them in well before you mash in, theres no need for a cereal mash as the gelatization temp of wheat is low enough that mashing at 150F will do everything for you

Old 01-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Harder to find in NZ than I thought. Might have to work something out involving maltodextrin

Quick Reply