Belgian Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 3724 - Belgian Saison
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
105 days @ 65F
Tasting Notes
A very delicious beer. The yeast lends a spiciness to the end product.
6.5 # of Amber LME
0.5 # Crystal 15L
0.25 # Carapils

Strisselspalt hops. 2 oz. @ 60 min., 0.5 oz. @ 15 min., and 0.5 oz. @ 5 min.

What was the yeast used? And was that 105 days fermentation just primary,or primary,secondary? Or primary to glass?

Yeast is listed above (Wyeast 3724). The 105 days is primary only. The yeast is notorious for stopping mid-fermentation, so I gave it plenty of time to do its thing.

Hey Ace, I'm thinking about trying this recipe this weekend. A couple of newb questions, but I take it the crystal/carapils are for steeping? At what temp/volume and for how long are you doing this? And are you adding all the LME at once at the beginning of the boil?

Thanks!

just picked this strain up and looking to put a simple bill like yours to really let it shine. what ive read though is that it likes HIGH temps like 80-90 to really get the true phenols developed
can you give us some tasting notes?
since clovy/peppery/banana phenols is what im mainly looking for in the beer
thx!

Ace, what happens if you let it ferment at around 70-72F? Im thinking of making this brew and am curious due to my temps right now!

Hello, 3724 yeast low temp recommendation is 75 deg, IMO 72 is to low for this yeast, high is 95 deg, I used this yeast several times this summer and after 4 to 5 days it seems to get stuck at lower temps, only after I let the temp rise above 81 to 84 deg will it start dropping gravity points again.

What I was told to try, and I have tried, and works great for me with this yeast is to start fermentation at 75 deg and every day raise temp 3 deg or so until it gets to 84, it seems to finnish out in about 3 weeks this way, so far it has worked great.

Fermenting hot is not a problem where I live, its 87 in my house every day with the ac running, 105 deg to 115 every day out side.

Good luck hope this helps :tank:

Hello, 3724 yeast low temp recommendation is 75 deg, IMO 72 is to low for this yeast, high is 95 deg, I used this yeast several times this summer and after 4 to 5 days it seems to get stuck at lower temps, only after I let the temp rise above 81 to 84 deg will it start dropping gravity points again.

What I was told to try, and I have tried, and works great for me with this yeast is to start fermentation at 75 deg and every day raise temp 3 deg or so until it gets to 84, it seems to finnish out in about 3 weeks this way, so far it has worked great.

Fermenting hot is not a problem where I live, its 87 in my house every day with the ac running, 105 deg to 115 every day out side.

Good luck hope this helps :tank:

I agree with the above. Even though mine was fermented in the 60s, you'd probably have a better experience with a higher temp. Mine wasn't as much of an issue since I basically forgot about it for 3 months. The higher temps should allow for a quicker fermentation and more saison-y esters.

Sounds great! Thanks for the help! I cant wait to get this in my pipeline! And if i run into any more problems i know where to turn!

Back