Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Belgian Dark Strong Ale, HBT Contest Winner, 18E

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Razorbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Guys,

I brewed this recipe about a month ago and ended up with a higher OG 1.12. I just racked to secondary so I can oak it. I checked the FG and it is only at 1.064. Any recomendations? Pitch another round of yeast WPL 530? Or A High Gravity yeast?

Razorbrew! Go Hogs!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
tnbrewer371
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbrew View Post
Hey Guys,

I brewed this recipe about a month ago and ended up with a higher OG 1.12. I just racked to secondary so I can oak it. I checked the FG and it is only at 1.064. Any recomendations? Pitch another round of yeast WPL 530? Or A High Gravity yeast?
what did you end up doing?

Primary1: Cider 4
Primary2: Session XX Pale Ale
Primary3: Twonty Riy
Primary4: Dirty Southern Blonde

Corny1: Southern Blonde
Corny2: sierra madre pale ale (nb)

Bottled: A bunch of stuff

Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
Razorbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I pitched more wlp 530. Not much happened. Then I pitched some wyeast sasion and it dropped to 1.037. I give it a swirl today and put it in a warm bath. To raise the temp into the mid seventies. I will try to keep the temp up for a week or so to see if that kick it down to what I'm expecting. Sorry I haven't posted, but maybe by the end of next week. I'll be ready to put it on oak. This beer is turning into quite a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbrewer371 View Post
what did you end up doing?

Razorbrew! Go Hogs!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #14
mullimat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Looking to probably do this brew tomorrow as a last brew before I deploy. The upside to this brew will be that because of deployment it will bottle condition for a year (which is usually really hard for me). I can't get ahold of Turbinado sugar unfortunately and not really sure how much of a difference this will make (never used Turbinado before). I am a little late on getting a yeast starter going so I was thinking of double pitching with Wyeast 3787 (Trappist ale) and my favorite yeast Wyeast 1762 (Belgian Abbey II). Curious how this will turn out but i'm anxious to see when I get back!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
Razorbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullimat View Post
Looking to probably do this brew tomorrow as a last brew before I deploy. The upside to this brew will be that because of deployment it will bottle condition for a year (which is usually really hard for me). I can't get ahold of Turbinado sugar unfortunately and not really sure how much of a difference this will make (never used Turbinado before). I am a little late on getting a yeast starter going so I was thinking of double pitching with Wyeast 3787 (Trappist ale) and my favorite yeast Wyeast 1762 (Belgian Abbey II). Curious how this will turn out but i'm anxious to see when I get back!
You should be able to get the Turbinado sugar at Wal-mart. It is basically just a brand name of raw sugar, so if you can't find Turbinado substitute any raw sugar. I had the hardest time with this brew. Just yesterday after 3 months of babying this recipe did I get it to the point that it can age with out any further monitoring. Maybe your experience will be different than mine. Good luck!

Razorbrew! Go Hogs!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #16
mullimat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbrew View Post
You should be able to get the Turbinado sugar at Wal-mart. It is basically just a brand name of raw sugar, so if you can't find Turbinado substitute any raw sugar. I had the hardest time with this brew. Just yesterday after 3 months of babying this recipe did I get it to the point that it can age with out any further monitoring. Maybe your experience will be different than mine. Good luck!
Ok. Got the turbinado sugar. Brewing it right now. Was only able to get 2 lbs. of Amber candy syrup though. Thinking to substitute the other .25 lbs. with D1 candy syrup. Don't think it will make much of a difference but we will see how it turns out! Thanks!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
chrisdb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

nice recipe

Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My buddy and I brewed a 10g batch of a similar recipe earlier this year and I think we're going to brew another for the late fall/winter months in a couple weeks - I think we'll give this a shot! Stoked!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Okay, it's all set - brewing this coming Saturday (7/16). Got all the ingredients last night for a 10g batch. My only changes will be that I'm adding in a bit of carapils, some star anise and subbing warrior for magnum (LHBS only has warrior - I figured it didn't matter as this is the bittering hop...it's at 16.9% AAU!!). My buddy's 5g batch will be aged on WLP655 to sour it up as he's unfortunately obsessed with sour beers.

I'm stoked to brew this, but not sure if I've got the necessary equipment available to age the same way that LOD did. My plan is to prime these with slightly less dextrose than I would use normally - after it ferments completely out - and transfer into as many 22 oz or 750ml bottles I can and age them in a 65 degree area for as long as possible.

I'm intrigued as to the priming in the keg w/US05 - is there any reason to think that priming normally (out of a lack of equipment) in the bottles and bottle conditioning would result in a drastically different taste/aroma/mouthfeel?

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In just a week, I went from 1.090 to 1.013. I'm still letting it sit in the primary for a month, but man, it's already really good as is. A little lighter than I had expected, but I'm stoked to see how it turns out regardless.

GrassLands Brewery

Quick Reply