Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Partial - BBD Saison Furtif

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #31
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sweet. It should be nice and tasty with a little conditioning.

I got my batch in chugging away in the fermenter right now. Nailed the OG right on 1.067 again so I hope it finishes out right at 1.000 like last time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #32
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

here's what ended up brewing Sunday
8 LBs Belgium Pale
5 LBs Belgium Pilsner
2 LBs Munich
1 LB Wheat

Mashed 70 minutes 150-147*
90 minute boil
.5 OZ Hallertau 60 min
.5 OZ Saaz 60 min
1 OZ Hallertau 10 min
1 OZ Saaz 10 min

3711...its 84* right now. OG was 1.076.

My plan is to add table sugar to half, split the batch and try out some of that D2 candy sugar on the other half. This'll be one monster beer, my biggest by far, after its carbed up to 3 vols it should be approaching 11%. Hope she turns out good...let me know whatcha think...

Old 08-10-2010, 03:11 AM   #33
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

strisselspalt hops 1.4% aa's is awesome aroma true to style... brewing a light version soon with washed yeast. may try 1st wort hopping to bring up strisselspalt in finish... I love this hop~

I love this beer~ great recipe! makes me happy! had a few while mowing the lawn OOPS forgot to cut it short at 2. decided not to trim around the flowers or veggies!

Mines been darkened to dark end of style with 2 oz of roasted barley, belgian candy sugar instead of corn sugar.... I wanted a bit "dirty color" for a beer this big personal choice no flavor just color). will post pic soon. came out very nice. furtif is true to name 8% plus drinks like a 6%! final gravity 1.002. Dang close to water! knocked a few buddies into comas while camping... I went back to the beach to fish some more with one in the pack... let's just say... I'm glad I didn't hook a big shark... Alone... drunk on saison... I woke up to a awesome sunrise... a ghost crab pecking at my toes and an in coming tide at my feet. This stuff tastes great~... & is more dangerous~ I love it!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #34
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I use this as a POST-lawnmowing beer. Nice and refreshing, but too high in alcohol to be operating power tools after drinking even one or two.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #35
jgarretson
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

SWMBO and I were at a local brewpub a few weeks ago and she had their saison. She loved it so I was searching for a recipe to brew tomorrow night. Seems like this is it. I'll be doing the extract version posted above. I should be able to ferment in the mid 70's and will also use white table sugar. I'll follow up with results.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #36
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

washed the yeast and going to do a lighter color lighter alcohol version when my primaries free up (just so I can have more in 1 sitting). I love the taste better than some very good commercial saisons. Ommegang is a good commercial, but it doesn't have the same GREAT yeast flavor of wyeast 3711!

Good luck with it jgarretson. I like what the low alpha strisselspalt hops did in the flavor & aroma hop stage. (It's a traditional saison hop, use them if you can, saaz is good too based on original recipe!). I'm going to use them in a belgian pale as aroma & flavor hop additions.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #37
jgarretson
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Alright, brewed it up tonight. Here's the details.

Extract version with steeping specialty grains.
Used 1/2oz of strisselspalt instead of saaz.
Used 1lb of white table sugar.
Used the Wyeast 3711

OG was 1.070 and fermenting at about 73 degrees. I'm going to wrap a blanket around the bucket tomorrow to bump up the temp a bit.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #38
jgarretson
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I checked my fermentation status yesterday morning. It had been fermenting for 11 days at about 76 degrees. The gravity was down to 1.002! It started at 1.070. Holy crap! That yeast is amazing. I tasted the little bit I had in my hydrometer tube and it's very citrusy and peppery. I'd expect that to mellow a lot with some aging but wow, this has the chance to be my best beer yet.

It's a little hazy, I'm thinking about racking to a secondary to clear it up a bit. This will be my first batch that I'm kegging as I've started a keezer project so I'm really excited.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #39
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Seriously... I tried stirring mine after pitching the 3711 and it fermented the spoon!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #40
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

drinking the 3rd runnings of this beer tonite(parti-gyle). only 2.5% alcohol but damn its tasty(i used wlp 320). I'm not sure how much of a preview this will be for the main beer, but its got me excited. I'm still at least 3-4 weeks away from tasting the saison.

Quick Reply