Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Partial - BBD Saison Furtif

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #331
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I don't secondary at all... ENJOY!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #332
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As I'm sitting drinking an Allagash Tripel I can't help but taste a lot of similarities. That's a hell of a complement on this one, great recipe.

My sister in law came to visit a few weeks ago and couldn't get enough. Kept asking if I minded if she had more. Sent a six pack with her since that put her close to the weight limit on her luggage and gave her the recipe as well, since her and my brother do some home brewing.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #333
Mwhy71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brand new here. This is my second partial mash, and my fifth brew altogether. Brewed this recipe last night. A couple issues I could use some advice on. First I got DME instead of LME, I believe I converted wrong. I used 4#, I think I was supposed to use 3.6. So I'm wondering if I should use less sugar into the primary when it comes time, and if so, how much less. On that note, I got corn sugar, recipe calls for table sugar. Should that matter? OG was 1.072. Fermentation is going strong around 80F

Old 09-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #334
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwhy71 View Post
Brand new here. This is my second partial mash, and my fifth brew altogether. Brewed this recipe last night. A couple issues I could use some advice on. First I got DME instead of LME, I believe I converted wrong. I used 4#, I think I was supposed to use 3.6. So I'm wondering if I should use less sugar into the primary when it comes time, and if so, how much less. On that note, I got corn sugar, recipe calls for table sugar. Should that matter? OG was 1.072. Fermentation is going strong around 80F
Looks like you used a little bit more DME than you should, but not enough to really make much of an impact. I'd stick wit the recipe for the rest.

I used table sugar because it works just fine with the recipe and is cheaper. If you already got corn sugar than it's up to you if you want to go ahead and use that or save it for bottling future batches.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #335
Mwhy71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Stick to the script, heard that. Thanks. Can't wait to get this in my neck.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #336
bolus14
Recipes 

So, about 2 months after my first sample and this is definitely better. The "funkiness" from the yeast has mellowed and now isn't as upfront as it was before.
To me this is a very solid base Saison. My pipeline has gotten pretty filled up and my storage space is limited. But, next year I'm thinking of trying to start early in the year and make a fall and winter(dark) saison using this recipe as the base. Obviously the malts will have to change some to entertain that, but I am going to attempt to stick as close as I can to this as possible.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #337
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
So, about 2 months after my first sample and this is definitely better. The "funkiness" from the yeast has mellowed and now isn't as upfront as it was before.
To me this is a very solid base Saison. My pipeline has gotten pretty filled up and my storage space is limited. But, next year I'm thinking of trying to start early in the year and make a fall and winter(dark) saison using this recipe as the base. Obviously the malts will have to change some to entertain that, but I am going to attempt to stick as close as I can to this as possible.
I've been thinking about something similar. Move the grain bill a bit towards a roasty stout and then an ipa hop schedule. Then ferment it with the 3711.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #338
Mwhy71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm working on the second batch of this, its been in primary for three weeks now. The first one turned out great, thanks, awesome recipe. Of course my lhbs doesn't carry wyeast, so i couldn't use the 3711, I had to settle for wlp 565. As expected, it has stalled short of where i'd like it. I'm considering pitching the wlp 670, american farmhouse to get it going again. I'm wondering if anyone thinks this yeast would complement this recipe, and also, if I should pitch into the primary, or rack it into a secondary and then pitch? Also, I have ordered the ingredients for this recipe including the 3711 from NB, gonna brew it again. Don't want to run out, I could drink this all year round.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #339
bolus14
Recipes 

What ahs it stalled at? If there isn't much sugar left I would save the cash and get some S-04 or S-05, you won't get much yeast character if there isn't that much sugar left for it and you're just trying to get it a little drier and a few more ABV points. If there's a considerable about of gravity left and you can raise the temp to upper 70's or low 80's that may work to get past the stall, you shouldn't get any bad esters at this point. I wouldn't bother transferring to secondary if you end up pitching more yeast, then again I don't secondary at all unless I'm adding oak, fruit, etc.

WLP670 has Brett in it, not sure if you want that or not. If you do be sure you're using glass as you primary or transfer to a secondary glass carboy.

I used WLP566, has great Saison character and doesn't have the stall out problem that 565 has. I would personally plan for it to age for at least a few months if you use 566 though. Early on the Belgian funkiness is pretty present, I don't mind it but some find it off putting.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #340
Mwhy71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

OG 1.062, dropped to 1.022, after cane sugar addition 1.032. now stuck at 1.015. i guess ill try and warm it up and wait it out. I thought the 670 with some brett in it would give it some nice funk. Thanks

Quick Reply