Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Partial - BBD Saison Furtif

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #251
Beernewb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Glad you like it. The best way to make it last is to brew more of it. Easier to make 100 bottles last longer than it is to make 50 last.
is it worth even converting this to all grain or is it that good as an extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #252
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm going to submit mine to the washington pro am. It's good

Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #253
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've only made it as a partial mash. Never did it as an extract or all grain yet.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #254
mckay75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well mine turned great! It's a hit amongst all my friends...and has been labelled as the "gateway" beer...as most nights having started out with one of these...ends up being a 4 AM adventure! Thanks for the recipe! I'll be brewing this again sooon!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #255
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Beernewb: To answer your question about how it is... This is my favorite beer. Period. Commercial... Microbrew... Homebrew... this is my favorite beer. Hands down. If I could only have one beer again, this would be the one. I still buy beer and still brew different beers, but this is my absolute favorite of all time. When I finally get set up for all grain, I'll probably convert this to all grain, but the partial mash is the original recipe.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #256
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I did a partial Saison last year thats actually quite similar. Easily one of my favourite brews so far. Still have a few bottles hanging around. Still mighty tasty. For reference my recipe was:

3.5lb DME
4.4lb Pils(NZ)
1lb Wheat
2lb Munich
0.1lb Caramunich

1oz Hallertaur (8/1%) @ 60 mins
0.5oz Hallertaur (8.1%) @ 0 mins

Halfway through the process i came to the decision i actually wanted a lighter version and adjusted the volume till I got an OG of 1.055

I pitched Wyeast 3726 (one of my all-time favourites)

Bottled after 3 weeks in primary with no temp control. Finished at 1.006

EDIT: forgot to say i had an 0.8lb sugar addition as fermentation wound down

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #257
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
I'll go ahead and vouch for the importance of 3711 in saisons. I've used all three white labs' saison yeast strains and they don't even hold a candle to the power of 3711. Wyeast takes the cake there.

On a second note, my buddy will be brewing an extract version similar to the one Starfish came up with this weekend - and he'll be racking onto a 3711 yeast cake provided by yours truly from a rye saison that's finishing up its primary fermentation. The only changes he's going to make is using Turbinado instead of table sugar, leaving out the Saaz addition, and potentially the addition of clove honey.

All my saisons in the past have been AG, so I'm eager to see how his turns out.
Brewed this up this past Sunday - hit an OG of 1.080 before adding in a gallon of water - so conservatively, let's say OG was in the realm of 1.070. Threw it on to my 3711 yeast cake and the sucker blew off in 2 hours @ 75.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 02-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #258
mrkrausen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Just brewed this up with a buddy last Monday. He has brewed with me before, but this is his first batch of his own. We both enjoy Boulevard's Tank 7 and this seemed like it would be a good road to go down. We had the LBHS convert it to extract as I don't have the equipment for all grain just yet. We had an extra 0.50 oz of Saaz hops left over so we went ahead and put them in with the 10 minute addition. Hops are good! It went well and the sample we took tasted great. He said that fermentation kicked off within 6 hours. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #259
Beernewb
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beernewb: To answer your question about how it is... This is my favorite beer. Period. Commercial... Microbrew... Homebrew... this is my favorite beer. Hands down. If I could only have one beer again, this would be the one. I still buy beer and still brew different beers, but this is my absolute favorite of all time. When I finally get set up for all grain, I'll probably convert this to all grain, but the partial mash is the original recipe.
thanks chshre, I've been all grain for a while so I'm a bit partial mash gun shy..lol..I have to wait a bit for my ambient temps to rise, so maybe I'll do a practice PM beer in the interim.

I see you have a boil size of a bit over 4 gallons, do you just top off with water after the boil is complete to reach 5.5? Also, where were your water ratios for the mash? do you just mash in and drain in a PM or do you batch sparge just like an all grain low gravity beer? thanks.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #260
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernewb View Post
thanks chshre, I've been all grain for a while so I'm a bit partial mash gun shy..lol..I have to wait a bit for my ambient temps to rise, so maybe I'll do a practice PM beer in the interim.

I see you have a boil size of a bit over 4 gallons, do you just top off with water after the boil is complete to reach 5.5? Also, where were your water ratios for the mash? do you just mash in and drain in a PM or do you batch sparge just like an all grain low gravity beer? thanks.
Just up your grain bill to make up the gravity of the extract, and brew it all-grain. Will be tapping my "furtif lite" next week. Will post later with Gravitys and recipe info.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply