Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Partial - BBD Saison Furtif

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #211
diablodawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Ended up smelling pretty good. BIAB ended with a FG of 1.075; perhaps I was a bit overzealous with double crushing my grains. I am excited for this brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #212
manofthewild07
Recipes 

I've read through all of these comments a couple of times and I don't think anyone has had a batch turn out poorly! Nice recipe.

After over a month in primary the FG is 1.010 (OG was 1.07), is there anything I should do to get that lower or is that fine? Like I said a lot of people were around 1.009 and had great batches so I'm not too worried. I tried the sample and it was right on, smelled and tasted a bit fruity with all the pepperyness.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #213
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofthewild07
I've read through all of these comments a couple of times and I don't think anyone has had a batch turn out poorly! Nice recipe.

After over a month in primary the FG is 1.010 (OG was 1.07), is there anything I should do to get that lower or is that fine? Like I said a lot of people were around 1.009 and had great batches so I'm not too worried. I tried the sample and it was right on, smelled and tasted a bit fruity with all the pepperyness.
Did you add the sugar at the tail end of fermentation? Give it some time to get those last points, they take a bit. 3711 is a beast!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #214
mckay75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I brewed this up a week ago Sunday. I tried wrapping it in a blanket hoping to get the temp up...but it didn't go much above the normal temp ranges I listed above. I ended up using a brew belt and managed to get the temp up to 80. I plan on leaving this for 3 weeks in the primary before i rack it to the carboy for a week or so. Should I leave the brew belt on for the whole 3 weeks to maintain that temp or could I let the temp drop off a bit and wrap it in a blanket? I've added the Belgian sugar on Thursday and took a gravity reading yesterday (1.006). My OG was a little off...1.052 not counting the Belgian candy sugar)...can I expect this to go much lower in the next couple weeks?

This is the first extract beer i've made from following a recipe I found online...so I'm a bit more paranoid about this one...especially with all the outstanding reviews...i want this one to turn out! So thanks to everyone for answering my questions!

Mark

Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #215
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I just drank a bottle of this that was bottled last March. It aged great. It was good young but with age it is awesome.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #216
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay75 View Post
So I brewed this up a week ago Sunday. I tried wrapping it in a blanket hoping to get the temp up...but it didn't go much above the normal temp ranges I listed above. I ended up using a brew belt and managed to get the temp up to 80. I plan on leaving this for 3 weeks in the primary before i rack it to the carboy for a week or so. Should I leave the brew belt on for the whole 3 weeks to maintain that temp or could I let the temp drop off a bit and wrap it in a blanket? I've added the Belgian sugar on Thursday and took a gravity reading yesterday (1.006). My OG was a little off...1.052 not counting the Belgian candy sugar)...can I expect this to go much lower in the next couple weeks?

This is the first extract beer i've made from following a recipe I found online...so I'm a bit more paranoid about this one...especially with all the outstanding reviews...i want this one to turn out! So thanks to everyone for answering my questions!

Mark
If you sed the 3711 yeast, you can expect this to drop a few more points. Possibly creep right down to 1.000. I'd keep it warm the whole time until the yeast finish out completely.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #217
mckay75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Excellent! It is the 3711 yeast I'm using...so i'll let this bad boy sit for awhile yet then!

Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #218
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just brewed this up for the 1st time on Saturday. My mash temp was a little too high, but I got 71% efficiency with a BIAB set up - first time I got above 65%! My OG ended up being 1.063 because I cut down on the malt just a bit, so I was pretty much right on target.

I ended up using WLP565 because 3711 was nowhere to be found, and made a 1 liter starter. I pitched the yeast at 6PM and by midnight, it was SO LOUD in the fermentation closet from the bubbles in the blow off jar. Fermenting around 80 for 3 days and the machine-gun bubbling has slowed significantly now.

Plan to add the 1# sugar today unless you think I should wait until day 4 or 5...? Thanks for the killer recipe.

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 AM   #219
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I like to add the sugar just as the fermentation starts to slow down. Basically when the krausen just starts to fall down.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #220
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks Cheshire

After 3 days, the bubbling slowed a lot so I opened the bucket and was pleased to see most of the krausen was gone. I took an OG reading and saw that my 565 starter took it from OG of 1.063 to 1.010 in 3 DAYS!!!!! The sample tasted good, albeit VERY yeasty and cloudy because it's so young.

I got my pound of sucrose dissolved in about 3.5 cups of water, boiled for 5 minutes, cooled and gently poured into my bucket. Then I was gently spinning my bucket for about a minute. The bubbling kicked up again hardcore almost immediately and has now slowed again after 12 hours. Now, it's just a matter of patience! But I'm eager to see how low my OG will go from here.

Cheshire, you recommend racking to 2ndary after about 3 weeks? I usually don't rack to 2ndary but I will just so I can wash the yeast and get another batch going sooner if need be. Thanks!

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply