Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Abbey Weiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hiya James...long time no hear...lol. I think it really depends on when you add the corriander and chamomile as to when it is ready. I add mine @ 10 min. I like how it adds to the beer when I do it this way. I recall 3-4 weeks being good. I think two weeks in the bottle is better IMO. I have a batch of it fermenting now and I will bottle it when I get back to Denver Next week If you are going to be around for the GABF, the other HBC I belong to is hosting the World Beer Forum at the Marriot by the convention center. I am either donating a keg of Abbey Weiss or an India Red Ale to the cause

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey there, it has been awhile.
So, if my goal is to have this drinkable quickly, is it better to add the corriander and chamomile at 10 minutes? Or are you saying that takes longer to smooth out.
The World Beer Forum sounds like a good time, by the way.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
zman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnsw View Post
Hey there, it has been awhile.
So, if my goal is to have this drinkable quickly, is it better to add the corriander and chamomile at 10 minutes? Or are you saying that takes longer to smooth out.
The World Beer Forum sounds like a good time, by the way.
it did take longer to smooth out. I accidentally did the addition @ 10 min the first time and people preferred it that way. I have to agree. I think it works better with the yeast, but that is just me.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #14
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We ended up doing ~5 days in primary, ~5 days in secondary, and in the bottle for 10 days. Served it up last night. People loved it. Barely have any left, and it looks like I'll be making this one again. And soon. And correctly. Great recipe.

I did use WLP540 Abbey IV Ale Yeast instead, which I think is the White Labs equivalent.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale

Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
zman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnsw View Post
We ended up doing ~5 days in primary, ~5 days in secondary, and in the bottle for 10 days. Served it up last night. People loved it. Barely have any left, and it looks like I'll be making this one again. And soon. And correctly. Great recipe.

I did use WLP540 Abbey IV Ale Yeast instead, which I think is the White Labs equivalent.
Very cool. I have a batch bottle conditioning now. I agree it is very hard to keep it in stock. Even people that do not like Wheat beers like it. I wish I had the space for 10g batches.

Don't forget about the K.R.O.C WOrld Beer Forum this Thursday at the Marriott. Free food, and beer. Two really good speakers. A Raffle and Silent Auction. My friend kegged my India Red Ale for the event.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mashing in, first repeat recipe for me. This is a great recipe, and I already have most of the batch promised to people...

Old 11-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #17
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

The SWMBO is sipping a SWMBO Slayer (now her favorite beer) and I just opened an Abbey Weiss that I brewed on the 3rd of October. This beer is absolutely wonderful with a slight cherry nose (from the coriander?) and taste that transitions to coriander/spice then a pleasant grain/malt taste. I usually do not sniff my beer before every sip, but this one deserves some nose treatment .

Does anyone get a hint of licorice in this beer?

My only issue is that I am not getting the amount of carbonation I want, so will add a bit more sugar when priming next time. I also like this beer real, real cold.

Good beer!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
thern001
Recipes 

After all the great comments I have decided to make this my first all grain brew. I hope I dont mess it up.
I do have one question, is it better tasting to add the chamomille and choriander at 10 min or at the end of the boil?
from what I have read ten minutes is better but I just wanted to confirm.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #19
Yalpe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed this 3 weeks ago. I had several issues due to my new setup (new burner, kettle, new chiller, propane tank freezing resulting in low pressure ->no boil). I think my hops boiled for way too long and I get a sort of resin taste (kind of like how hops smell). I had to add water to cover up the boil **** ups. I think I added too much, my FG is 1.008. Still, I feel this will be an awesome brew once bottled/conditionned. Would brew again.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #20
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Just bottled this after 4 weeks 19 days in the primary - sort of forgot about it. Tasted a rather large "sample" and all I can say as this tasted good enough to drink directly from the bottling bucket, but I like bubbles so I carbed it up a bit more than last time, and now comes the long wait.

Quick Reply