Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Zest Bomb - Citrus Wheat Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #31
GetSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone try this recipe with a Kolsch yeast?
Also, what does the Vienna add to this recipe besides some color? Thinking of just going with 2 row and wheat to keep it on the "light" side.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #32
dachbach
Recipes 

This recipe looks awesome so I think I'm going to brew it this weekend. However, my LHBS is sold out of Sorachi Ace. Does this hop make the beer or do you think there is a reasonable subsitute?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #33
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachbach View Post
This recipe looks awesome so I think I'm going to brew it this weekend. However, my LHBS is sold out of Sorachi Ace. Does this hop make the beer or do you think there is a reasonable subsitute?
There's not really a great substitute for it. Monteuka would work nicely and I wouldn't hesitate to sub that, but it's generally even harder to find. Now that I think about it, Monteuka/Sorachi might be a cool thing to try.

You could do it with Glacier or even Tettnang and I think it'd turn out nicely, but it wouldn't be quite the same.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #34
RLarsen513
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachbach View Post
Personally I used Zythos in mine since I couldn't get Sorachi. How I wound up at this substitute I don't really recall, I'm still a brewing newbie. But I can say this, the brew turned out amazing. Everyone I have shard it with has loved it and I've forwarded the recipe to two other home brewers..

Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #35
bovineblitz
Recipes 

I just wanted to point out that this recipe is essentially written assuming you will be bottling. A friend made it and treated it like he does his IPAs and it was a little bit rough coming out that soon. It tastes to me like the bitterness is too high. I generally find it to be ready after 5 weeks in the bottle and still at peak (possibly even better) around 8-9 weeks.

I thought I'd add this note in case keggers want to make it, you may want to reduce the bitterness a bit or simply sit on it a little longer than you normally do. Has anyone on here kegged it, and if so what was your experience?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #36
beezhive
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I started an extract version of this beer - used 3lb wheat dme and 5lb light dme. I "steeped" the vienna malt at 150-160F for 40 mins, which I think should work (though I might skip it next time). Unfortunately, I couldn't easily get ahold of citra, so I substituted in Centennial, figuring the roughly similar alpha acid and the citrus notes would work with the beer. My OG was a bit high - ended up closer to 1.080, probably because I didn't notice that the recipe was a 5.5gal batch (oops, maybe I'll add a bit of water when I re-rack). I pitched a 800ml starter of American Wheat (1010), which seems to be going strong.

The fruit I zested was: 3x minneola orange, 2x navel orange, 3x moro (blood) orange, 1x white grapefruit, 2x lemon, 4x lime.

20130429_203930.jpg  

Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezhive View Post
I started an extract version of this beer - used 3lb wheat dme and 5lb light dme. I "steeped" the vienna malt at 150-160F for 40 mins, which I think should work (though I might skip it next time). Unfortunately, I couldn't easily get ahold of citra, so I substituted in Centennial, figuring the roughly similar alpha acid and the citrus notes would work with the beer. My OG was a bit high - ended up closer to 1.080, probably because I didn't notice that the recipe was a 5.5gal batch (oops, maybe I'll add a bit of water when I re-rack). I pitched a 800ml starter of American Wheat (1010), which seems to be going strong.

The fruit I zested was: 3x minneola orange, 2x navel orange, 3x moro (blood) orange, 1x white grapefruit, 2x lemon, 4x lime.
Sounds (and looks) quite tasty. Mini mashing the vienna was a good idea, it needs to convert. Your gravity is a lot higher than intended but it's possible that the beer will stand up to it just fine, it might be drinkable sooner because of that.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #38
beezhive
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post

Sounds (and looks) quite tasty. Mini mashing the vienna was a good idea, it needs to convert. Your gravity is a lot higher than intended but it's possible that the beer will stand up to it just fine, it might be drinkable sooner because of that.
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll roll with it and see where it ends up. I'll let you know how it came out in a few weeks (or when I snag a hydro sample). It smells delicious...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #39
beezhive
Recipes 

Re-racked a couple days ago. The hydro sample was very tasty, but appears to have stalled out at around 1.035. I'm thinking I may pitch some 1272 if it hasn't budged today (I have a starter for a beer I'm brewing today anyway).

Edit: re-checked the SG, down to 1.025 (2 days since I last checked), so it looks like it slowed down but didn't stop. Think I'll just let it coast, see where it ends up.

Last edited by beezhive; 05-10-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: updated sg

Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #40
beezhive
Recipes 

Bottled about a week ago, FG was 1.014 (so ~9%ABV). Snuck an early bottle tonight, I think it'll be great once the hops smooth out a bit, maybe 2-3 weeks.

A picture of the pre-bottling hydro sample (cleared up a bit in the bottle):

20130522_211637.jpg  

Quick Reply