Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Wit Power (Allagash White clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
BeezBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed the same recipe as above, with the following changes:

1. Added 1 lb of flaked oats. I'm curious how much the mouthfeel will change.
2. Finally bought some Indian Coriander (wow, what a difference) and added 1 oz. at flameout. Hopefully it'll not be too spicy.
3. Found some seville orange marmalade, added about 4-6 oz to a bowl with 1 tablespoon of flour. Added some of the boiling wort to the bowl to melt the marmalade and form a slurry with the flour. Added back to the kettle at flameout.
4. Added a teabag of chai tea last couple minutes of the boil.

I'll keep this updated when i try it in a couple weeks. Cheers!

Edit: Forgot to add, i did a protein rest at 122 degrees for 30 min. before an infusion to raise the temp. to 154 degrees for another 45 minutes.

God i miss Northwest brews.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Why the flour with the marmalade? How's the Indian coriander different than regular?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
BeezBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
Why the flour with the marmalade? How's the Indian coriander different than regular?
Flour adds some haze to the beer, especially if you keg. More aesthetic than anything. Indian coriander is much more pungent and fragrent than coriander you find in the grocery store. Grocery store coriander usually smells stale and very vegetal. Indian coriander is usually oblong and like an oval while normal coriander is more like a sphere.

God i miss Northwest brews.....

Old 06-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #14
harlond
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlond View Post
I've tasted one after 4 weeks in the bottle. It's going to need some aging. Was my second brew ever, so that's on me. I'll check back in when it's had some more time.
I just finished one that had been in the bottle for four months. The last one I tried had a spicy component, attributable I think to the coriander, that I did not like. That's gone. And with that gone, it tastes great. I didn't have an Allagash White to compare it to, but it was very good. I would make it again. I would age it in the bottle minimum 4 months to let the flavors come together, but I would definitely make it again. Thanks, Beezbrew.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
MrBinsky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezBrew View Post
Just brewed the same recipe as above, with the following changes:

1. Added 1 lb of flaked oats. I'm curious how much the mouthfeel will change.
2. Finally bought some Indian Coriander (wow, what a difference) and added 1 oz. at flameout. Hopefully it'll not be too spicy.
3. Found some seville orange marmalade, added about 4-6 oz to a bowl with 1 tablespoon of flour. Added some of the boiling wort to the bowl to melt the marmalade and form a slurry with the flour. Added back to the kettle at flameout.
4. Added a teabag of chai tea last couple minutes of the boil.

I'll keep this updated when i try it in a couple weeks. Cheers!

Edit: Forgot to add, i did a protein rest at 122 degrees for 30 min. before an infusion to raise the temp. to 154 degrees for another 45 minutes.
Remember how it turned out/have you brewed it again? I know this i pretty old, but I'd be really interested in any changes or improvements to the recipe.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:18 AM   #16
belgariontheking
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this today. Actually flipped the grainbill completely around: 3lb pilsner, 6lb Wheat malt, 1lb Flaked Wheat. LHBS only had flaked red wheat, so I went with that.

This dummy decided it would be better to drink all night last night than to make his starter, so I've got (fingers crossed) perfectly good wort sitting downstairs with no yeast.

The starter is going right now, though, so tomorrow I'll pitch. I can't wait.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
MrBinsky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Great, let me know how it goes!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:46 AM   #18
Sbarnard80
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

SWMBO has been bugging me about doing a brew together and allagash is her favorite beer so going to give this a try next weekend. Any other updates from anyone who has tried the recipe?

Old 05-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #19
puyallupbrewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I think this is a good recipe. I've been watching this thread for two years, I love this style. I listened to a pod cast of the Jamil Show talking about this style. They said that if you don't want to use raw wheat that you could flip the recipe with a 30/70 (two row/wheat) ratio to get the same effect that you get with using raw wheat. I think the addition of oats from brezbrew was a good call. I'm getting ready to brew this up with some small changes to see how it turns out. Was thinking along these lines.

40% two row
40% wheat
20% flaked wheat instead of oats
with the same hop schedule and additions of zest and corriander by brezbrew. I think I'm going to add some ground pepper @ flame out not sure how much yet.

Mash@152

Using white labs 410 wit yeast it's out right now pitching at 68 holding there for 24 hours then bringing it up to 74 @ 2 degrees per day until 74 is reach.

any comments I'd love to hear it

On a side note the soft white wheat he is talking about can be found at a whole foods store and is commonly called wheat berries. The Red Mill brand sells it, if your going to give a shot you might want to grind it up almost into flour then do a 2nd mash with the raw wheat with protein rests before adding it to the main mash. But don't take it from me you should really listen to that pod cast I'll try to dig it up.

Quick Reply