Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Widmer Hefeweizen American Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #21
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate252 View Post
Well I gotta say I came close as well, it is slightly bitter since I didnt hit my efficiencies and forgot to adjust the hopping rates but still very good, and close to the taste of the real thing fresh from the tap in Portland

Heres the recipe I ended up brewing:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.94 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.34 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.29 %
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.31 %
4.03 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.94 %
0.70 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.76 %
0.28 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.71 %
0.05 oz Horizon [10.90 %] (60 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.15 oz Warrior [15.40 %] (60 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.15 oz Magnum [13.60 %] (60 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.10 %] (30 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.10 %] (7 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.45 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (7 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.20 tsp Lactic Acid (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP32Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.35 lb
----------------------------
Double Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 9.32 qt of water at 133.9 F 122.0 F
60 min Saccrification Add 8.28 qt of water at 197.0 F 153.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.25 qt of water at 209.9 F 168.0 F
Glad to hear it turned out good, enjoy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #22
pirate252
Recipes 

Haha, I did, its been gone for about 2 weeks now Will have to do it again, this time working to hit better efficiencies

Thanks again for all your help

Shear Force Brewery

Waiting on UPS/Time - BierMuncher's Six Shooter Pale, BierMuncher's Sterling Gold, BYO Porter
Primary's - Empty :(
Secondary's - EdWort's Apfelwein
On Tap - Mocha Oatmeal Stout (#2), Light, But Good

Old 01-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #23
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate252 View Post
I can get the warrior and horizon in pellets... wonder if either would make a good sub for the magnum?? any thoughts?

EDIT: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ carries all three of the varieties you mentioned.... what exactly is this ALCHEMY blend?
I'm going to brew this over the weekend but may use Chinook and/or Amarillo as I have them on hand. These should be suitable replacements for the Alchemy Blend shouldn't they?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
I'm going to brew this over the weekend but may use Chinook and/or Amarillo as I have them on hand. These should be suitable replacements for the Alchemy Blend shouldn't they?
Any clean bittering hop will do the job as far as I think. It may not be perfect but will work. I used Magnum on my first brew of this and turned out ok, but there is something nice about the blend too.

Warrior
Millenium
Horizon

Old 03-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #25
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 532

I love Widmer and have tried this recipe several times now. Everytime, however I get a stuck sparge. I am doing basically the recipe per the original post with the rice hulls. I really want this one to turn out but every batch has been a bit off probably do to the lautering problems. Think a rest might help? Any suggestions would be great.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #26
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
I love Widmer and have tried this recipe several times now. Everytime, however I get a stuck sparge. I am doing basically the recipe per the original post with the rice hulls. I really want this one to turn out but every batch has been a bit off probably do to the lautering problems. Think a rest might help? Any suggestions would be great.
are you getting stuck sparges with other beers? how much rice hulls are you using?

My first thought would be to increase your rice hulls but the other would be to step back and take a look at your latuering process. Is it getting stuck right away or after a few qts/gals etc.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #27
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I always get a stuck sparge with wheat beers I have tried and not one yet with any other beer.

I do 10gal batches and the last attempt I upped rice hulls to a full pound. The sparge has always been stuck immediately when I start lautering. I have never gotten anywhere near a quart out.

I have a 10-gal round cooler with false bottom. I have 1 batch under my belt now with my HERMS and am wondering if circulation might help or make things worse.

I am truly lost for an explanation.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #28
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
I always get a stuck sparge with wheat beers I have tried and not one yet with any other beer.

I do 10gal batches and the last attempt I upped rice hulls to a full pound. The sparge has always been stuck immediately when I start lautering. I have never gotten anywhere near a quart out.

I have a 10-gal round cooler with false bottom. I have 1 batch under my belt now with my HERMS and am wondering if circulation might help or make things worse.

I am truly lost for an explanation.
weird thing is that I have only done this recipe when I had the same 10G round cooler and false bottom and didn't have the troubles.

I have gotten stuck sparges but was always able to unstick them by blowing air back into the cooling through the ball valve. I have done it with my breath, but later moved to a air compressor which I found easier, just send some air back up to clear and and get it to run and evenly distribute the husks that are below the false bottom. Once, you get it running clear, you are golden (pun intended )

Old 03-26-2010, 03:35 AM   #29
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Funny you should mention it...I have done the same thing with my compressor. It even blew some mash out the top and all over the wall but was still stuck.

What kind of mill gap are you using? I was thinking I may be a little fine for wheat at .036 now. Do you do any conditioning prior to crush? Also, I just blend in the rice hulls and then stir like a normal mash. Is there any special technique I may be missing?

Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #30
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Funny you should mention it...I have done the same thing with my compressor. It even blew some mash out the top and all over the wall but was still stuck.

What kind of mill gap are you using? I was thinking I may be a little fine for wheat at .036 now. Do you do any conditioning prior to crush? Also, I just blend in the rice hulls and then stir like a normal mash. Is there any special technique I may be missing?
it has been a while, I have no troubles with stuck sparges on my new mash/tun but I believe I put in the rice hulls first and let them settle a bit before adding the grains.

I have not conditioned my malt yet, my barley crusher is set to the standard setting, which I believe is .037.

Hopefully someone else pipes in with experience in sparge troubles with wheat because I guess I just haven't had enough experience.

Quick Reply