Weizenbock Weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Reaction score
Yep, it's a Weizenbock...several months aging is a good thing here, as well as a pound of rice hulls in the mash.

Weizenbock

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.64
Anticipated SRM: 11.1
Anticipated IBU: 16.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
60.0 9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
15.0 2.25 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
14.2 2.13 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
10.8 1.63 lbs. CaraMunich 40 France 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
32.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 4.75 16.0 60 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

From the Wyeast website.

3638 Bavarian Wheat Yeast. Top cropping hefeweizen yeast with complex flavor and aroma. Balance of banana and bubble gum esters with lichi and apple/plum esters and cloviness. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 70-76% (64-75º F, 18-24° C)

(Mods, slap me down if this ain't legal)

Baron...how do you think this would be with the American wheat yeast strain? I'm not a huge fan of the big time banana clove thing....but I really want to do this!

chillHayze said:
What temp do you ferment at?
Sorry, dude, I missed this. I have found that I like 68-70F for the 3068...much above that and it get banana-y. It also seems to be a pretty strong fermenter and primary fermentations of 10 days aren't unusual in my experience.

I should note that my recipe says 3638...I'm not sure why, I used 3068. But pertinent input, Vermicious!

Dude said:
Baron...how do you think this would be with the American wheat yeast strain? I'm not a huge fan of the big time banana clove thing....but I really want to do this!
I've used the American wheat yeast twice and honestly it's not very...characteristic of wheats (Hefeweizens, anyway). I think it would be an interesting experiment and I'd like to sample the result, but I guess it won't compare to Aventinus. You'll have an amberish, lightly hopped, high abv ale, though.

I discovered a few bottles of this recipe that I hid from myself while we were cleaning out our closet last week...I bring a few to Walker's. I'm not really sure as to the condition of them, but they should be decent.

Yeah, I used an entire pound of rice hulls. The color was pretty damn close to Aventinus...I did decoct it, so I'm not sure if that darkened it up a bit. I don't think Aventinus is past about 13 SRM, though.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Yeah, I used an entire pound of rice hulls. The color was pretty damn close to Aventinus...I did decoct it, so I'm not sure if that darkened it up a bit. I don't think Aventinus is past about 13 SRM, though.

Ok, good to know. What I think I will do is add a handful of Carafa at sparge to darken it slightly. Right now this is the color of an amber....

I bought a bottle of Aventinus tonight for research purposes, I'll compare them.

Thanks Baron!

Dude said:
Ok, good to know. What I think I will do is add a handful of Carafa at sparge to darken it slightly. Right now this is the color of an amber....
You know, this brings up one of my pet peeves with Munich malt. You'll see mine is 8L in the recipe, but many recipes just say Munich. Great. 6L? 8L? 20L? PITA. It can affect color & flavor.

I'm currently restraining myself to Weyermann for Munich which means I (5.1-6.9) or II (8.1 - 9.9) for light or dark, respectively.

Want to make this beer, but how will kegging it change the conditioning time? Don't want to rush things, but would like to show this off in a few months if possible. If bottleing is the better option, please let me know.

The conditioning time is really the same either way and this beer is best with a month or two conditioning just due to the high abv. Bottling is more traditional because you can pour the yeast into the glass just like a Hefeweizen, but I don't see any real issue with kegging it.

You can rush the conditioning if you want, it just won't be quite as smooth.

American wheat yeast is a huge waste of a yeast. So bland. Use US-04 at high temps. to get some fruityness without the bananna and clove.

This looks good, but wouldn't this technically be a Dunkel Weisse?

Technically, if the O.G. were above 16 Plato it can be considered a Bock. Above 18 Plato it can be called a Dopplebock (under German law).
Weizenbocks are wheat-based Dopplebocks, so the O.G. could be anywhere from 18-28 Plato.

But aren't bocks lagers; this one calls for an ale yeast.

And i've got the ingredients all set for making his beer tomorrow, whatever it might be called.

How did this come out? What was everyones general impression? I'm looking to do a weizenbock and figured this is a good recipe to start with.....anything anyone would tweak? What was the decoction schedule?

Question: I just did my first ever all grain and my OG came out lower than the recipe called for, is there anything I can/ should do if its already chilled?

Please don't hijack threads

-if you havent added the yeast yet you can add some DME dissolved in a small amount of water. Search the beginner brewing forum for specifics in terms of volumes. If you added the yeast, just let it ride.

Back to the Weizenbock....

But aren't bocks lagers; this one calls for an ale yeast.

And i've got the ingredients all set for making his beer tomorrow, whatever it might be called.

This is a good question. I've seen recipes with ale yeast and ones with lager yeast. The few commercial examples I've had are relatively clean. Which is the standard?

This is a good question. I've seen recipes with ale yeast and ones with lager yeast. The few commercial examples I've had are relatively clean. Which is the standard?

Bocks and Doppelbocks are lagers - sort of stronger versions of, say, the hell/dunkel varieties. But a Weissbock/Weizenbock would use Weissbier yeast, because it is a stronger version of a Weissbier.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Bocks and Doppelbocks are lagers - sort of stronger versions of, say, the hell/dunkel varieties. But a Weissbock/Weizenbock would use Weissbier yeast, because it is a stronger version of a Weissbier.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I know this is a bit old now, but you are correct Goshou - It is a weisse bier because of the amount of wheat grain used (50% or more) and the yeast used is a hefe yeast - (BJCP guidelines mention the use of wheat yeast though they don't technically say they MUST be used)...

Bocks ARE Lagered beers but they are also HIGH % Alcohol beers - as is a weizenbock... The recipe mentioned can't be a dunkle weizen as the OG is too high...

Now, back to the question about HOW did they turn out??? I'm curious as I have only had the Weihenstephaner Vitus as far as weizenbocks go. It was a bit light for me (I like the darker beers (like Dunkleweizens))...

In terms of a clone of Schneider Aventinus, it came out quite well. The first batch was a little hot due to fermentation issues, but the second batch with the same recipe and careful fermentation was very enjoyable.

I have an aventinus glass I got in Germany; it identified the beer as a weizenstarkbier... Whatever that is.

image-1166369358.jpg

Stark is strong in German so that would be a strong-wheat-beer... Bocks are strong so it makes sense. Sweet glass BTW.

I made a Weizenbock and have been told by family that it is one of my best yet! I made mine by using a Dunkleweizen recipe and really upping the alcohol content. It was like an amazing dark wheat beer with a kick. I loved it! I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.

I made up a batch of the Baron's weizenbock this weekend... Used WY3068 and split it between two fermentors to avoid the overflow while we were gone at a SuperBowl party! I did a double crush on the white wheat per a fellow brewer's recommendation. Anxious to see if that results in a more cloudy beer (desired). I make alot of doppelweizen's with the hefebank 68 yeast and am anxious to try the double crush there... Increased the mash efficiency in any case and no sparge issues with the pound of rice hulls.
Cheers!
Jeff P

Back