Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Multiple - watermelon wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #81
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What would happen to the watermelon wheat recipe if you used a light german ale/kolsch yeast. Like this one from white labs?

WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast
From a small brewpub in Cologne, Germany, this yeast works great in Kölsch and Alt style beers. Good for light beers like blond and honey. Accentuates hop flavors, similar to WLP001. The slight sulfur produced during fermentation will disappear with age and leave a super clean, lager like ale.
Attenuation: 72-78%

Maybe the lower attenuation would keep some sweetness in the beer and balance the tart?

I have some of this yeast ready to go and thought I might give it a whirl this weekend.

ALSO - What special steps do you take to ensure the watermelon juice is clean and sanitary?

N_G
It could be worse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #82
absolutbmc
Recipes 

That yeast sounds like it would work well. To be honest I didn't do much to sanitize the watermelon. I sprayed down the outside of the mellon, the cutting board, the knife, and my blender. Other than that, I let the beer prevent any bacteria from forming

Thanks -
Brian

Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #83
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am going to brew this soon but the base will be fermented out with Cry Havoc. I can lager semi lager this beer and see how it turns. I plan to use half for plain wheat and half for fruit wheat. The watermelon sounds good but I am not sure if I will go this route.

I will let you know how it turns.

WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:02 AM   #84
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

it would probably be just fine with german ale yeast. i use this in a recent wheat beer and was happy with how it turned out. its a very clean flavor and stays nice and cloudy.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 AM   #85
ben the brewman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
What an awesome idea! I would imagine that this would produce one helluva watermelon aroma, and yet at the same time, it would have the potential to tart up the brew, too. Which yeast did you use for the bottles that you carbed with the Jolly Ranchers?
it was done with 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen. i like this one the best out of any of them i have made. i really like what the jolly ranchers do for the beer too.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #86
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Double post - ARGH!

N_G

N_G
It could be worse.

Last edited by nutty_gnome; 06-09-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Double Post

Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #87
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I went the cheap and easy route. I bought a brewer's best weisbier kit (2 cans of wheat LME, no steeping grains & French Strisselspalt Pellet Hops** (smelled like a piney noble hops).

I figured that since this was an experimental beer for me, I didn't need to invest in a pricey build your own set of ingredients from the LHBS. The LHBS wanted about 10 bucks more for the OP recipe.

I pitched it on an entire cake of WLP 011 German Ale yeast late Saturday night (the 6th). I had just moved a kolsch to secondary so the yeast cake was 'exposed' for less than a minute. Airlock bubbler activity started within a few hours. With such strong bubbling, I expect to have it in secondary on Sunday (7 days primary) with watermelon juice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

As a side note, this kit with the 'german' dry yeast from Brewer's Best was great with some blackberry extract a few months ago. I expect nothing less for this kit with watermelon juice added.

** - From Midwest web site: "2.6% Alpha Acid Content. Considered a good aroma hop with medium intensity and pleasant hoppiness similar to Hersbrucker, and often preferred to it. Used for Pilsners, Lagers, and Wheat beers. Substitutes: Hersbrucker, Mt. Hood, Crystal."

N_G

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #88
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Got a batch of this almost one week in the primary. Quick question about the Jolly Ranchers.... I'm assuming you siphoned out a couple of bottles and added the JRs to those bottles prior to adding priming sugar to the rest of the batch for bottling. If I was to siphon out, say 6 bottles before adding the dextrose to the rest of the batch, how much dextrose would I need to add after siphoning. Did that make any sense at all??

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #89
ben the brewman
Recipes 

it made sense but im not sure i bottled half the batch with jolly ranchers so i cut my priming sugar in half for the rest. use 1 jolly rancher per 22oz bottle or you can try to break them in half and use half per 12oz.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #90
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My version is still in primary. Maybe I'll get back to it on tomorrow. N_G

N_G
It could be worse.