Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Multiple - watermelon wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #71
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

153 isnt that low of a mash temp. i would take a taste of it when your racking it to secondary and see how full it tastes before adding anything to it. wheat beers can be thin to medium so it should be fine. as for the special grain it stays the same all grain or extract.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #72
GunnerMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks yeah, I know the 153 is not really low but coupled with the low gravity and the pound of honey I was a tad worried.

First sparge tasted god awful but it was better after boil, im sure it will come out nice. I just learned wheat beer are not supposed to age much at all (2 weeks or so) this was supposed to be a beer for the end of May :P but it gives me time to secondary and bottle this one to start drinking mid-may and I can make another one next week and have it ready as well.

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 04-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #73
ben the brewman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerMan View Post
Thanks yeah, I know the 153 is not really low but coupled with the low gravity and the pound of honey I was a tad worried.

First sparge tasted god awful but it was better after boil, im sure it will come out nice. I just learned wheat beer are not supposed to age much at all (2 weeks or so) this was supposed to be a beer for the end of May :P but it gives me time to secondary and bottle this one to start drinking mid-may and I can make another one next week and have it ready as well.
no worries it will be fine to drink in may. i know wheat beers are suposed to be drank early but it will age for a month with no problem.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #74
absolutbmc
Recipes 

I wanted to give an update on my Watermelon wheat. It has been in the bottles for a week and a half now. I could not resist and opened a bottle on Sunday (1 week after bottling). Man was it good. I got the slight hint of Watermelon, nice head, and a great color. The one thing I noticed, as did many people who made this beer, it was a bit too tart. I used American Hefe for the yeast. I am going to let it sit for another week before cracking another baby open. I wonder if the tartness will go away in that time span???

Thanks -
Brian

Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #75
ben the brewman
Recipes 

i made 10 gallons of this recently and i used 2 types of yeast first one wasy wyeast 3056 bavarin wheat blend and wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen. i will let you know which one turns out better and see if they have any tartness. i think its the yeasts that are adding the tartness to the beer because i have bottled some before i add the juice and they are just as tart. i took some info from wyeast page and this also makes me think its the yeast. here is the yeast discriptions.

1010 American Wheat

A dry fermenting, true top cropping yeast which produces a dry, slightly tart, crisp beer. Ideal for beers where a low ester profile is desirable.

3333 German Wheat

Subtle flavor profile for wheat yeast with unique sharp tart crispness, fruity, sherry-like palate.

i think that wyeast 1007, 3056, 3068, 3463, 3638 would be good choices to use for future brewers.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #76
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just tasted mine as I racked it to secondary on the juice. Def tasted the tartness, it was a bit dry as well, fermenting out at 1.011, but it my be because my efficiency was so poor. It tasted good but it had a hint of DMS, which is weird, I used darker wheat and Rahr 2 row :/ It smells absolutely horrible, I stuck my nose in the fermenter and almost gaged. Hope that smell ages out in the next 3 -4 weeks. I think I am going to add a small bit of gelatin to this, I think it will look really nice if it is a bit clearer.

Secondary:
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 04-27-2009, 02:53 AM   #77
ben the brewman
Recipes 

im not sure about the smell never had one like that. update on the yeast. the 3068 has a better taste than the bavarin blend and the watermelon flavor isnt overpowered either and their is not tartness what so ever. i also added a new twist to things by carbonating some of the 22oz bottles with watermelon jolly ranchers and the rest with priming sugar. holly hell the ones with the jolly ranchers are bad ass the flavor is great and it adds some more aroma. i will definatly be sending some of these out for contest in the near future.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:50 AM   #78
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just cracked one of these open. I think the watermelon is a bit overpowering(I was stupid) and did not scale my watermelon to my effeciency. When I seocndaried my juice it fermented so vigourously it blew the top right off my airlock. So I got a way higher watermelon concentration than normal and it is a bit to tart. I thought I would prefer the tartness but not so. Maybe I would if my effienciency was better and there was more malt charachter to balance out the watermellon.

The hint of watermelon on the nose quickly overpowers the rest of the beer and leaves a very tart flavor in my mouth that is hard to describe. Think of a Budlight with some sugarless watermelon juice added? The wheat body that does come through does taste like a good wheat beer with some nice clean flavor. I might try this one again with a better efficiency and see what happens.

Secondary:

Quote:

Life is good...

Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #79
Keepthedrive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

SO....I felt like giving this one a try, but twisted it a bit.

Tsunami-melon Ale

-9.6 lbs Gold LME
-2 lbs sugar
-1 lb carapils
-10 oz german pilsen
-6 oz Belgium aromatic
-.75 oz yakima magnum (14.4%) @ 60mins
-wyeast 3068 Activator Pack

-4 cups watermelon juice in secondary
-Dry Hop 1 oz Cascade
-Dry Hop 1 oz German Hallertauer

SG: 1.120

FG: We will see

Of course, I just brewed today, so Im gonna let it sit at about 68F for at least 1 week, though I think it will be more because it is sooooo big. And then I will let everyone know how it turns out. But I have high hopes...
cheers

Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #80
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben the brewman View Post
...i also added a new twist to things by carbonating some of the 22oz bottles with watermelon jolly ranchers and the rest with priming sugar. holly hell the ones with the jolly ranchers are bad ass the flavor is great and it adds some more aroma. i will definatly be sending some of these out for contest in the near future.
What an awesome idea! I would imagine that this would produce one helluva watermelon aroma, and yet at the same time, it would have the potential to tart up the brew, too. Which yeast did you use for the bottles that you carbed with the Jolly Ranchers?
Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Quick Reply